1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,163 Posts

Impressive, but what about that thumb-cylinder release, I would have gone all the way and fashioned one to look like the shape on a Colt.

With all that labor and expensive machining, I would imagine it would have been cheaper to buy a real Python in tip-top condition.

·
Premium Member
3,409 Posts
Beautiful work Dewey. When I was a youngster I worked as an apprentice at a machine shop for about a year. Times like this makes me wish I would've stuck with it. Not saying I would've had your talent but at least I'd have a shot... :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mr. , that is truly an amazing piece of work. That has to be the most impressive custom revolver I can remember seeing. Bravo...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Impressive, but what about that thumb-cylinder release, I would have gone all the way and fashioned one to look like the shape on a Colt.

With all that labor and expensive machining, I would imagine it would have been cheaper to buy a real Python in tip-top condition.
The Colt's thumb latch is also the recoil shield, and it works in the opposite direction of the Smith latch. Reengineering the thumb latch, while not impossible, would have been quite an undertaking. The client owns a number of Pythons and wanted a revolver that looked like a Python but had the reliability (or lack of fragility) and action of the Smith.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
The art comparison is very applicable here. It's an amazing accomplishment. That, like art, is not about the cost/benefit ratio of the results.

In a world of cameras, people still make paintings of flowers.

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
Wow. Just a spectacular piece of work.

·
Premium Member
11,604 Posts
Amazing! Why are we only just now learning about you? You obviously are among the greats of the gunsmithing world.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Why not just buy a 6" Python? Be a Hellava lot cheaper?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Amazing! Why are we only just now learning about you? You obviously are among the greats of the gunsmithing world.
Different circles I guess. That, and I don't give free work to magazine writers in exchange for favorable articles.

Thank you for the compliment.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Fantastic....I can only dream.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts