1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
I'm curious as to your rational for the offset machining of the original rib. What benefit does that provide for the makeover process?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I'm curious as to your rational for the offset machining of the original rib. What benefit does that provide for the makeover process?
It's not offset, everything is centered. I left a portion of the original rib on the left side to use as a reference plane when setting the barrel up in the mill. After the "Python" rib was finished, I removed the excess from the left side and contoured it like the other side.

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
tray burge You said "why not just buy a python?"

You are 100% correct. Yet missing the point too.

Why paint a landscape when you have a camera on your phone.

Why run a marathon when you own a car?

Why take cooking classes when there's GrubHub?

Why train on the bench press when you own a hydraulic jack?

This gun was about the endeavor, the accomplishment, more than the end product. Which, regardless, is an excellent gun on it's own.

But you are correct that on a strict Cost /Tangible Benefit ratio, it's not a bargain deal. Nor is it supposed to be.

Heck, based on cost/benefit I wouldn't even buy a Colt Python myself. I think my Officer's Model Special is pretty dang close enough for way less dough.

I suspect that the client for this custom gun doesn't need to bargain hunt..

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
Dewey, please ignore the detractors, and continue to post here. For many of us, this will be as near as we will ever come to a piece like this, just seeing it, and a minute peek into some of what it took.
My only exception is the couple of references to art. I've always considered anything like this as 'craftmanship', which obviously has many levels. You seem to be very near the top.
Thanks for posting,
L.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Dewey, please ignore the detractors, and continue to post here. For many of us, this will be as near as we will ever come to a piece like this, just seeing it, and a minute peek into some of what it took.
My only exception is the couple of references to art. I've always considered anything like this as 'craftmanship', which obviously has many levels. You seem to be very near the top.
Thanks for posting,
L.
Detractors don't bother me, the only people that must be pleased with my work are myself and the client, in that order.
As far as "art" vs "craft" goes:

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Unfortunately there are always the petty, ignorant and jealous few that seem to run the experts off of any forum.

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
I didn't read the link, but yes, art. Craftsmanship is about doing precise, high quality work.

But art is when creativity is involved. And since the maker of this gun is creating the design, it's art.

When someone invents a recipe it's art. And when someone just follows the directions on the package, it's not.

There was no package to follow on this gun. It's art.

·
Premium Member
11,598 Posts
It's not offset, everything is centered. I left a portion of the original rib on the left side to use as a reference plane when setting the barrel up in the mill. After the "Python" rib was finished, I removed the excess from the left side and contoured it like the other side.
Gotcha! :rock:

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I didn't read the link, but yes, art. Craftsmanship is about doing precise, high quality work.

But art is when creativity is involved. And since the maker of this gun is creating the design, it's art.

When someone invents a recipe it's art. And when someone just follows the directions on the package, it's not.

There was no package to follow on this gun. It's art.
My view is pretty simple. I could be taught, or even teach myself (which is the absolute worst path) to do what Mr. has shown, even as stupendous as it appears. I see it as craftsmanship, taken to a very high level. I know it's in me, and accessible, because of what I do for a living. What I can't do, nor ever could in a million years, is start chipping away at a block of marble until a figure of a woman, (or whatever) that I had only envisioned in my mind emerged. Art and craft are defined, for me. Every person, barring disability, can talk. Some in an amazing manner. Not every person can sing.

No disrespect to the OP, add in fact quite the opposite. I'll readily admit, once you're close to the line, it gets pretty thin and hazy. JMO (I did read the link, thanks, Dewey)

L.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
My view is pretty simple. I could be taught, or even teach myself (which is the absolute worst path) to do what Mr. has shown, even as stupendous as it appears. I see it as craftsmanship, taken to a very high level. I know it's in me, and accessible, because of what I do for a living. What I can't do, nor ever could in a million years, is start chipping away at a block of marble until a figure of a woman, (or whatever) that I had only envisioned in my mind emerged. Art and craft are defined, for me. Every person, barring disability, can talk. Some in an amazing manner. Not every person can sing.

No disrespect to the OP, add in fact quite the opposite. I'll readily admit, once you're close to the line, it gets pretty thin and hazy. JMO

L.
You could do what I do, as well as I do it huh? YOU COULD do it because you're an artist but I am a mere tradesman, right? You know it's "in you", well, knowing it and showing it aren't quite the same thing.
An insult like that could only come from an "artiste". I've been doing this for 35 years and will likely never master it. I'm self-taught and if I had a dime for every artist that told me that they COULD do what I do, I wouldn't have to work.

As far as chiseling something from a solid block of material:

Or, maybe this:

The gun and rifle linked above existed only in my mind before I created them. They are my designs, not copies of anything that already existed, yet carving the image of something that already exists is art, according to you.
From my experience, the biggest difference between the "artist" and the craftsman is the level of pretentiousness and self-delusion on the part of the artist. That goes double for art teachers.

I don't think that I referred to the work on this revolver as "art". Others here have (and I appreciate the compliments) but not me.

It's funny, this is the ONLY gun forum that I've been inclined to "join" and that's only because I have a friend and client that is a member here. It's starting to feel like a bad idea.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Art is an ambiguous term, this work could be called art I suppose but it was done by a true craftsman. A wonderful display of craftsmanship and there is no arguing that point. This is something that has been done several times by several smiths and I don't think I've ever seen it done better.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
No disrespect to the OP, add in fact quite the opposite. I'll readily admit, once you're close to the line, it gets pretty thin and hazy. JMO (I did read the link, thanks, Dewey)
There’s always “that guy” to ruin a great post....

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
;13010684 said:
You could do what I do, as well as I do it huh? YOU COULD do it because you're an artist but I am a mere tradesman, right? You know it's "in you", well, knowing it and showing it aren't quite the same thing.
An insult like that could only come from an "artiste". I've been doing this for 35 years and will likely never master it. I'm self-taught and if I had a dime for every artist that told me that they COULD do what I do, I wouldn't have to work.

No,, you've misunderstood me. I'm not an artist, I'm a craftsman. And when I said I could do what you do, I didn't mean in a year or two, I meant decades. I didn't intend it as some flippant remark, but should have been more clear.

I haven't looked at the rest of your post yet, but wanted to try to clarify what I meant. No career for me in the art of the literary world, obviously, sorry.

L.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
There’s always “that guy” to ruin a great post....
Far from my intention. I guess I'll either need to learn to express my thoughts better, or not at all. I certainly didn't come here to insult anyone over their work. :(

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Impressive and beautiful work, Dewey!
Work that most of us probably would not have the opportunity to see unless visiting your blogspot, which I definitely bookmarked.
Thank you for posting it.

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
I'll roll with this one from Websters.

Art: The conscious use of skill and creative imagination especially in the production of aesthetic objects.

BAM! It's settled. Dewey's work IS art.

·
Registered
502 Posts
;13010684 said:
[
It's funny, this is the ONLY gun forum that I've been inclined to "join" and that's only because I have a friend and client that is a member here. It's starting to feel like a bad idea.
You just have to tune out a certain percentage of people on any forum like this.

The vast majority of the posters in this thread are in awe of what you’ve created and the level of talent and skill that your work required. There will always be a few nitwits saying “What’s the point of that?” and “I could buy ten GP100s instead” and so forth. Some people will never get it.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Taurus makes a revolver with a full-lugged , vent-rib barrel. :dope:

41 - 60 of 75 Posts