1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a commander back in February. I finally got the call the other day that it was in. So I go to pick it up. It looks great but that was about it. The slide had lots of play left to right. The frame to slide fit in the rear was uneven along with the grip safety to frame fit. The trigger had lots of creep and movement both up and down and side to side. Very gritty too. I was not impressed with it at all. I have a full size SR1911 and it's 10 times better built. I passed on this one. I also have the ruger 556, another great firearm. I'm guessing this one slipped through QC?

·
Registered
726 Posts
I've had the same experience with Ruger 1911's. I've handled some that felt great, and some that were rattletraps.

My advice would be, don't buy one sight-unseen. I waited until I found a good one priced well before I bought one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
It is a shame you found a "lemon"! My CMD is in excellent condition. Keep looking. I think there are more good ones than off-quality ones. When you find a good one, you won't be disappointed!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had the trigger refitted on my CMD for next to nothing, everything else was top notch. Had it checked out at the same time just to be sure. Find a nice one and your in business. Picked from 3 in stock. The loose one was in the case for display. Sight-unseen never even with a Colt specially when times are hard.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Finding one that is put together well has its rewards. Like I said above, the trigger did have rattle but I had planned getting the action tuned anyway. For the cost of a action tune can't complain. My plan was to get a solid series 70 commander size until I could afford to join the 3K club. My SR1911 CMD turned out to be more than a interim adventure. Actual a real nice companion to my 5" Clark Custom Colt.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I would contact Ruger and enumerate all the complaints you have posted here. I think they will want you to send it in and check it out. I'll bet you'll be happy with the results. As others have posted, I never buy any gun without being able to hold it in my hand and check it out first.

·
Registered
23,223 Posts
I would call Ruger and probably send it back. I lucked out and found one at an LGS in Jan. of this year. It is impressive, but it did cost me $669.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would contact Ruger and enumerate all the complaints you have posted here. I think they will want you to send it in and check it out. I'll bet you'll be happy with the results. As others have posted, I never buy any gun without being able to hold it in my hand and check it out first.
I passed on it. So I have no gun to send in. I'm sure ruger would have made it right. But I would rather not have that hassle right now. I just wait until I come across another one that checks out ok.

·
Banned
170 Posts
I recently received my CMD... casing date 12/9 2013. The gun has a perfect fit and finish. Milling on the slide and frame is very good, can`t see milling marks on the inside rails. It's very tight in fact I can shake and hear practically nothing. I had many 1911's also. My Springfields rattled and my Colts and more so from my standpoint the Ruger 1911 is great, especially for OTD $625. It's a keeper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts