1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight it's storming out and I was laying on the heating pad in the living room, I was tired of laying in the bedroom for two days after popping my back out again. I left my Commander on the bed and have been carrying my little Beretta 950 in 25 around in my sleep pants pocket because it makes me feel better and any other weight takes my breath away and pulls my pants down. Anyway, I could have sworn someone ran up on the porch and both my dogs were staring at the door, first I thought it might be my daughter or ex coming over to check on me but no one said anything or tried the door. I picked up my .25 and did the slowest, saddest roll ever done and flipped on the outside light. No-one was there and my brave dogs showed no interest going out in the rain to investigate. long story short When I heard something on the porch I decided my little Beretta although handy was not really the gun I wanted right then. So .45 in bedroom, 5906 in the couch cushion and a shotgun in the bathroom. I hate this being as weak as a little girl. Beretta's still riding in my pocket with my cell in the other. Be prepared.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Sorry to hear about your back. When they go bad, standing up can be a real chore, not to mention doing any other activities.

As slow as it sounds like you're moving, you better keep the gun you would want to face trouble with within arm's reach, 'cuz you would be hard pressed to get to it otherwise. Those little .25's, .32's, and .380's are real easy to justify when they are light and pocket-sized, but I hear ya' as far as not feeling well-armed in a threatening situation. Every time I'm carrying one for comfort and get a bit spooked or just play "what if" in a given situation, I wish I had something bigger. It's just about broke me from carrying a .380 unless as a backup.

Hope your back gets better soon. I'm only 46 and have been down with a bulging disk a few times that made me curl up like a baby and want to suck my thumb...just couldn't get away from the nerve pain no matter how I sat, stood, or laid. Wouldn't wish that on anybody but a liberal politician.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved I hope, I've been using a crutch to get around so I tied a old GI holster to it, now I can access a real gun.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
M7 is good for lounging at home.
Not sure if this would be better on your back though?
Other than sitting on the table or bench next to me, it's the next best comfortable option in the house, for me. :)

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Hope the back gets better. I was rear ended on the Loop around Dallas back in Nov. and am still having neck and upper back pain. Five months of rehab helped some. I've also had to stop shooting IDPA and three gun. I suffer through it and go in the back yard and shoot a little just to keep proficient. It's a pain to say the least.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I remembered a real old timer when I was young carried a 1911 in his bib overalls front pocket, so I dug out a pair and my Commander drops right in, Not carrying it cocked and locked but to get from room to room it works, when I get feeling frisky I'll try the 5906 with the long trigger pull. I was in a hit and run back in 87 and don't always walk so hot anyway, and every once in awhile it knocks me down. Can't run from anything so a good pistol makes me feel a little better.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
I carry a CZ83 in my Jeep as a backup. It is not small but is accurate, reliable, and was inexpensive ($200).

It is always there, good to go. I prefer a 9mm but a .380 is OK.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
long story short When I heard something on the porch I decided my little Beretta although handy was not really the gun I wanted right then.
I kinda had the same type of epiphany about six months ago - on an elevator in a public transportation hub in the ATL. Three big big young adult guys got on at a stop. I was uncomfortable...I had only a seven shot .380 in the pocket of my shorts...the elevator was cramped. I made an akward joke about how cramped the elevator suddenly got, they then / we all laughed. It turned out they seemed to be some funny guys...even though they were quite physically intimidating (and they knew/enjoyed it).

Even before they had completely entered the elevator...I was thinking exactly as you did about your small Beretta.

Bottom line, that is the last time I carried the .380 (i lost it in a tragic conoeing accident)... after all my new 938 is about the same size and I can still carry it in Summer attire.

Walk - I hope your health improves.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Use to think stories like yours were paranoia.
BUT

After retiring ...doing a little travel....not anymore. I could not conceive of staying in a hotel " unarmed " .

Live in a rural area .....home invasion less than a half mile away this last month...3 city thugs with guns.

It seems that the city thugs are now cruising the country and picking out nice homes to rob...but even they know country folks have guns so they travel in crews.
Question what gun does one want if a crew comes a calling....I think you answered it.

These days it isn't paranoia.....it is prudent behavior.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
Live in a rural area .....home invasion less than a half mile away this last month...3 city thugs with guns.

It seems that the city thugs are now cruising the country and picking out nice homes to rob...but even they know country folks have guns so they travel in crews.
Question what gun does one want if a crew comes a calling....I think you answered it.

These days it isn't paranoia.....it is prudent behavior.
I love where I live and always thought we are pretty safe, but recently I have been the victum of a theft off my dock...90 steps from my back door. They attacked from the water...most likely a pontoon boat.

Serriff is at best 15 minutes away and my house is not easy to find, even with GPS... Many of my weapons are locked in a safe...but never all.

I agree the ******* life is not as safe as it once was.

·
Premium Member
3,253 Posts
Stick with the .45 WWG. Carrying it on your chest should make it easier on you. I know your pain as I had L-3-4-5 fused 30 years ago. Fortunately, my doc was a good buddy from grade school and he did a great job. I owe him a huge debt for getting it right. I hope your pain passes quickly and you get back into your groove and can get to the range to maintain your edge.

·
Registered
275 Posts
HarryO
There was a murder less than 4 blocks away years ago.

Sheriff has no clue who did it.

Where we live the law enforcement are good guys but really the responce time will get you killed in the wrong situation . Today one is responcible for their own safety.....and that is why gun control is a colossal joke except for the obscenely wealthy.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guy's I was worried about coming across as paranoid. I have a long driveway back in the woods and at least three times have run off dopers sitting in my yard in the middle of the night. There was a meth house down on the next road and I guess some of them got confused, that's gone but I met some of my new neighbors the other day, weird as hell, skinny and barley a tooth between them. Rural living seems to be changing. I keep wondering why would anyone rent to these people in the first place.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Not the gun I want

Sorry to learn about your present condition . There are many excellent choices for a firearm to suit your situation . Keep in mind to have a good light and your phone in reach . If you are taking meds remember to be aware of their effect on you . Hope this situation passes quickly .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry about you back. Don't worry about being concerned. Those who aren't, tend to find themselves in a trouble. I'd rather meet my neighbor at the door with a .45 than at BG with nothing. Like you, I have a couple of yappy dogs that keep me alert. They can hear things before I do. The fact that they would open the door for a BG is another story. lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry about your back, been there, not that bad but bad enough. Like my plate says 45ACP is my favorite but when I can't carry a .45 I carry a Sig P238 with some hot loads. After all it's a mini 1911 and my granddaddy always said "a 380 in your pocket sure beats a .45 in your safe."

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I hate these cell phones but do keep one in my pocket or next to me now, already did the Help I've fallen and can't get up, Luckily the ex still likes me. I'm extra cautious with any meds and try not to take anything except the occasional muscle relaxer. I have a daughter in college that comes and goes, sometimes she's here, sometimes at her mothers, so I don't want to be effected by meds. I wonder if we have enough members to start a tactics for the infirmed thread. what do you carry on your walker LOL.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wouldn't feel poorly armed with the Beretta .25 if my 1911 wasn't handy. My model 21a is accurate and utterly reliable. Holds nine rounds too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not paranoid, just careful

The Youngstown area, and surrounding towns are rife with heroin addicts. Copper thefts, breaking and entering, etc. I carry a S&W Chief's Special in .45 acp 24/7. A S&W 1917 .45 acp hangs on my bedstead. World is going to He.. in a hand cart.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I live out in the country and love it. I can shoot in the backyard, got good neighbors, not too close, not too far, I can be in Raleigh or the Outer Banks in 2 1/2 hrs. Years ago, while driving home after a trip to town (30 miles each way) after dark, I passed a field road that was 50 yds from my house but wooded on both sides before the fields began, I noticed a truck was parked. The ideal place to park, walk unexposed to my house and break in. I pulled under the carport and told my wife to stay in the car. NC did not have cc laws then but I always traveled with my 1911. I got out and loudly racked the slide and walked around the house. I didn't hear anything and nothing was out of place but when I got back to the car, we drove to the field road there was no truck. Nowadays I carry all the time.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts