1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took this new pistol out today. Wish I had a good report. I experience 3 different types of malfunctions consistently with each magazine.

I put a total of 85 rounds through it using the included 2 Mech-Gar magazines, plus Wilson Combat, Dan Wesson/Checkmate, and Tripp Research magazine.

Ammo was S&B 230 FMJ.
Note these all run well in my Desert Eagle 1911U
and Dan Wesson ECO 3.5" on a weekly basis.

I will break down the malfunctions below:

Failure to Eject: Every magazine experienced at least one FTE. The brass is hanging on the extractor as shown below. It occurred in all positions of the mag, first round, middle, last round etc.

Bicycle part Auto part Automotive tire Rim Wrist

Failure to feed: every magazine experienced at least one FTF of the standard variety round getting stuck on the feeding ramp. Some mags had every single round fail to feed but was not indicative of the magazine as it occurred across all magazines/brands.

Failure to lock back on empty mag:

The slide release did not lock back on several different mags but most prominently on the Tripp Research and the included Mech-Gar magazines. After the last round slide did not lock back and then went forward into battery.

Brass to face: 40% of the properly ejected rounds went to my forehead and a few to my shooting glasses.

Magazine Failure: one of the included magazines failed see photo below.

Tire Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle part

I stopped shooting at 85 rounds and I figured why keep wasting ammo. The issues were getting worse not better.

Anyone recommend a good smith who could make this pistol shoot?

Thank you

·
Registered
45 Posts
really think they ,, and I mean all .. manufactures DONT test fire them anymore ,,I really think they throw a used brass in the bag .... did you give it a good clean and lube before the range trip, ,with that mag damage, I would contact bull , and ship it back to the mother ship,, some things really messed eating a mag like that

·
Registered
17,297 Posts
That pistol was undoubtedly slapped together on a bench and nothing was ever checked because every part just dropped right in you know?. (hand me that hammer OK?) On a 5 in. gun you can get away with a little of that but with a 3 in. gun - the buyer will be coming back.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I love my little RIA BBR 3.10 today, but if had known what I know now, nothing less than a Commander would be taking up its space.
Send it back.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Depends. Easiest thing to do would be to send it back, politely. It will probably be fixed.

If you are inclined to take on a project, start with the extractor sticky by Steve in Allentown. The second you touch the gun, you probably void the warrantee. Something to bear in mind.

Shorter 1911’s may present more of a challenge.

best wishes.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Send it back to have it fixed under warranty. If you need a carry gun sell this when it's fixed and buy something else. If I recall correctly in his video Bob Pincus mentioned that in his classes he has seen more stoppages out of short slide 1911s then out of any other quality design.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts