1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just heard that the famed King's Gun Works in California is going to close shop.

They sold a variety of grip safeties, and what I consider to be the best 1911 ambidextrous safety made.
Their safety uses a dovetail that lock onto a longer hammer pin.
It's much better quality than the Colt type ambi made by Mueschnek?? and is far more secure then the Swenson type that's held on by a paddle that fits under the grip.

BUY NOW.

·
Administrator
73,753 Posts
Bummer. I suspected as such when I noticed the latest Brownells catalog contained very few King's parts. :(

·
Registered
403 Posts
But wait!

A 1911 fan on AR15.com just ordered some parts from them. He was informed that they are getting out of the gunsmithing section of the business but staying with the parts side of the house. Sad either way. :(

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
A 1911 fan on AR15.com just ordered some parts from them. He was informed that they are getting out of the gunsmithing section of the business but staying with the parts side of the house. Sad either way. :(
Has this been verified? I think most people are cool if they still offered parts. I personally have not owned a 1911 without one of their triggers. And if parts will still be offered than any 1911 I own in the future will have one too.

Not that they have the best triggers of all time or anything, just my personal fav.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
That's too bad -- that's shop was a very special place for the 1911 platform for decades. I think if you've owned a 1911, King's might have influenced it somehow over the years. My personal favorite design of King's -- if they were in fact the one's that first made it -- was the 'duckbill' grip safety...

·
Registered
614 Posts
That's too bad. I have their #201 Combat Speed Safety on half a dozen guns. I think it's the best design out there.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
As long as they still offer parts I'll be happy!

anyone have contact info for them?

EDIT: Ahh... the power of the internet.....

http://www.kingsgunworks.com/

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
According to the Kings employee that I talked to, they'll be closing in "mid-March" and their 1911 parts will still be available through mail-order.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
That's a relief. I was afraid I'd have to order a couple dozen sets of Hardball sights for future use. Maybe I'll get a couple more now anyway.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just ordered every part on a 1911 sans slide and frame you can get from them. AWESOME parts. Glad to hear they will still be offering them. Coolest name in the business, too...

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
According to the Kings employee that I talked to, they'll be closing in "mid-March" and their 1911 parts will still be available through mail-order.
Excellent!!!!!!!!! :rock:

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have been wanting a round hammer from them and one of their X-tra wide thumb safeties so that I can try and make an oversized standard Colt Thumb safety. I was all flustered when I read the headline. I guess I better go ahead and order the parts I need.

Nala

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
If they're closing in March, better get your orders in now. How long can they do mail order without manufacturing? Sounds like a parts sell-off yardsale!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Didn't the previous post say that they were closing in March BUT you would still be able to order parts from them via mail order after that?
Someone needs to clear this up.

Nala

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Where will their parts be coming from after they "close up"? Outsourcing from China?

·
Banned
976 Posts
Man I hate to see them go.
Sad to hear. That store was one the first place I ever took my early 1911's to for customization.

One time I got there early and they weren't open. I just walked a 100 yards away to the supermarket, got some milk and bag of cookies and waited. My first customization was installing sights and a trigger job.

It was very "old school" in there with all the other stuff they sold (belt buckles, scrimshaw stuff, gun related Zippos, etc), it had a comfortable feel to it.

On another note, yet another calif gun store gone. But, I've discovered a new one I never knew of right by my house, Ammo Brothers. More of a Tacticool store though.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If they're closing in March, better get your orders in now. How long can they do mail order without manufacturing? Sounds like a parts sell-off yardsale!
he said closing the gunsmithing part. That's how rumors start. But this is the internet so all these are, are rumors.

I'm not too suprised though their online internet catalog is from 1999-2000

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
They are closing the gunsmithing and walk-in store. Their parts will still be the same since they don't make them in the back anyway.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Kings has been an American institution for several decades, but their old-line artists have long since left the business. Today's Kings is not the same place.
About four years ago I had to have an S&W they worked on almost completely rebuilt by another gunsmith.
Times do change, and not always for the better.
Denis

1 - 20 of 26 Posts