1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an STI and it came with a Novak Magazine, after taking it apart I really like the spring configuration in it. Does anyone know how they compare to the Wilson mags? I was thinking about buying a few more of the Novaks but wanted to get some feedback before I did. So far the Novak has performed just as well as the Wilsons.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use novaks in all my 1911's. So far they have worked will in all of them. They are made by act-mag company out of Italy. Many gun manufacturers use them including Sig, S&W, Taurus, STI and the list goes on and on. Novak just stamps their name on them. PSI, Taurus, S&W, Wolff spring company all stamp their name on the same magazine. PSI, Taurus, Novak, and wolff all use wolff power springs in them. The regular Act-Mag have the factory spring in them.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I got a total of 5 1911 ACT mags when I bought one of the above mentioned brands. 3 of the 5 cracked at the rear of the feed lips the first summer. I am told that I could have had them replaced, but I didn't. They were relatively new to the market and the initial failures caused me to basically write them off at that point. I hear that this was a problem only on some of the earlier ones.

On the other hand the 2 that did not fail wound up in my "range only" box and have not failed in the last 3 years of heavy use, and they have been very reliable.

I also bought 2 for my Sig P220's. They have seen fairly heavy use, but not as heavy as my 1911's, and have been problem free.

At this point I would try them again if I was looking for something to replace what I am using and happy with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I owned one from my RIA, it did very well on FMJ'S but not on my SWC loads.It's a nice mag but I traded it with my buddies CMC and we're both happy.....

·
Registered
445 Posts
IMO the ACT mags are better than Wilsons, they seem more sturdy to me, have better followers, better springs, look better, and they arn't 7 round mags with a short follower. Ofcourse I may just not like 47D's because they wont feed 185gr gold dots reliably in my gun when the ACT don't have any problem at all......

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,282 Posts
I bought two Novak's, a little over a year ago, and with perhaps 500 rounds through each, I am completely satisfied with the performance. I have had a wait-and-see policy on cracking, as some have reported that it was only the early ones, related to some sort of heat-treat problem, IIRC, and other reporting that the cracks were caused by the disconnector rail colliding with the rear of the tube. The last time I looked at my mags, one was cracked. That corner was also somewhat deformed, so I suspect it was damaged during ejection, as opposed to any sort of stress-cracking. But, I have McCormick mags that have been ejected onto gravel and concrete for ten to fifteen years, with no damage. I agree that the Novak's are the best-looking, smoothest mags I have ever used, and for less than $20 each, I might be inclined to just get some more whenever I see a crack, but the crack makes me leery. I'm probably getting in on a group buy of the new Checkmate 8-rounders, so the search continues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts