1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen these? Replaces the mainspring housing and grip safety all in one shot. I really like it! :rock:

It's one less moving part and keeps dirt and grime from getting inside the gun. Only concern would be from evil litigators (removing a safety - no matter how unneeded or redundant it may be angle).

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Saw that on Novak's site about 6 months back.

Seems like a good idea for folks whose grip doesn't reliably release the traditional grip safety.
Better for liability reasons to have a gun without a grip safety than to have one and to disable it.

The innate mechanical safety of the 1911 has sufficient built in redundancy (thumb safety, firing pin-retarding spring, disconnector, not to mention obedience to Rule 3) that the grip safety could probably be discarded for most purposes, since horse soldiers are rare nowadays!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SAWBONES said:
Saw that on Novak's site about 6 months back.

Seems like a good idea for folks whose grip doesn't reliably release the traditional grip safety.
Better for liability reasons to have a gun without a grip safety than to have one and to disable it.

The innate mechanical safety of the 1911 has sufficient built in redundancy (thumb safety, firing pin-retarding spring, disconnector, not to mention obedience to Rule 3) that the grip safety could probably be discarded for most purposes, since horse soldiers are rare nowadays!
..and the half-cock notch keeping the hammer from striking the pin unless the trigger is pulled.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Interesting to see someone making one piece backstraps again.
Back about 1990,IIRC, when ParaOrdnance first started selling Hi-cap frames in the U.S., they only offered the kit in .45. Then they offered up magazines in .38Super. Of course us IPSC shooters said "Hot Dang!!!!A hi cap Super open class gun!!!!". One small problem, the Para frames had a tendency to develope cracks along the trigger bow channel from the back to the front. The slide slamming back and forth was compressing and strecthing the metal causing fatigue cracks. Para would only warranty your frame once then it was yours.
One of our local guys came up with the idea of welding the grip safety to the MSH to make a one piece unit tieing the frame horn (thumb safety shaft)to the MSH pin. That worked, but each one had to be custom made because of pin hole spacing inconsistencies. Eventually, Para cured the problem (thicker metal, different mill cut) and demand died out.

·
Registered
23,262 Posts
The Arminex Trifire had a one-piece backstrap that could be used on a real 1911.

Rescomp advertised one but apparently never actually had them for sale. I asked Mrs Resca about that at a SHOT show a few years back and she said that they had a crate full of mis-machined units that the press of other business kept them from reworking and selling. I asked her for a couple to have fixed on my dime but never got them, or any response to e-mail to RSA.

I think the Novak will catch on big and generate competiton from other accessory makers, if they will just get them on the market.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I wonder if a gun built from a "gunsmith kit" and "The Answer" would be IDPA legal since it never had a grip safety and therefore no safety was disabled.

I would think that installing "The Answer" in a standard S.A./Colt/etc production 1911 would be disabling a safety since the gun originally came with one.

Only time will tell ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.