1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a Colt CCO that I'd like to install a set of Novak Tritium Competition sights on.Picture here It is the earlier dual tone model, not the XS CCO.

I was looking through some old posts here that indicated (If I understand correctly) Novak's Competition sights should fit the rear dovetail and since this is a Commander slide, the front dovetail should match the Govt. model.

I found the the following sight combination in my Brownell's catalog. Would this fit the original dovetails on this pistol?

Rear:
Competition - 1911, S&W* fit in factory dovetail. All Competition rear sight blades are .735" (18.7mm) wide x .425" (10.8mm) high. Use Front Sight .185"-.200"

662-003-004 DCP04 1911 BAR TRITIUM COMP. REAR SITE

Front:
Steel, blue. .125" (3.17mm) wide blade. Govt. Mod., Commander, S&W 645/745/59 require 65° x .330" x .075" dovetail in slide.

Govt. Front Sight .190"
662-005-190 DFS026190 .190 GOV'T TRITIUM DT FRONT

·
Registered
21,772 Posts
I don't think so.

The Novak Competition sight is made to fit a standard GI dovetail. I had one on a Springfield and it worked fine.

Unfortunately, you do not have a standard dovetail, you have the unique cut for the COLT Competition sight. Rumor was, Colt designed it to resemble Novak but to be made in house or cheaply contracted and not have to pay Novak for sights or royalties for a copy.

I don't know what that front dovetail is.

EXpress makes sights for the Colt Competition, including night sights, if you wanted the V and bead.

The Mepro 10775 might be correct, best contact them.
http://www.meprolight.com/products.asp?id=1

I think IWI-PT will put tritium lamps in existing sights.
Can't get on their website but -
IWI
2513 E. Loop 820 N.
Fort Worth, Texas 76118
Phone: 817-284-0099

·
Registered
78 Posts
FWIW, I had IWI install bar-dot tritium inserts in the stock sights on same type of CCO. They did a great job.

·
Super Moderator
13,429 Posts
Heinie make superior replacement night sights specifically for the Colt CCO.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a CCO with those sights also and I want night sights.

I have decided to convert the Colt psuedo Novaks into night sights.

Trigicon will take the slide and put the tritium vials into the sights.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
davekoch, Novak makes a replacement sight specifically for that sight cut. Unfortunately, it's almost as ugly as the original. Novak told me that Colt wanted him to supply sights for those guns, but he couldn't due to an agreement he had with S&W. It's my understanding that the sight you have was designed by Ira Kay.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Ricky T said:
Heinie make superior replacement night sights specifically for the Colt CCO.
Ricky is right on the money. The Heinie replacement for that sight is superior to Novak in both sight picture and cosmetics. Unfortunately it seems that Heinie has discontinued those sights so finding a replacement might be a challenge. Bummer :mad:... especially considering I’ve got some of those Colts that could use the sight upgrade.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you for the informative replies gentlemen.

I think I'll look into contacting Novak about a suitable Tritium replacement and if that doesn't pan out, I'll see if Mepro or Trigicon will modify my existing sights. At least I have options. :)

Thanks again

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Heinie SlantPro #375 is a perfect fit for Colt's XS cut http://www.heinie.com/375385big.htm. Heinie has discontinued these, but you may want to check with him as he may still have some in stock. In August I purchased the SlantPro #375 for my Colt Goverment XS, and it is a perfect fit. No milling required, which means you could always put back the ugly C-More sights if you desired.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,067 Posts
If Colt wanted Novaks, why did they design a sight that is almost a ringer for the Heinie???? Para, Baer, and a number of others seem to have no problems knocking-off Novak, so you'd think Colt would have as well, if that's really what they wanted. I think the Heinie sight is superior to the Novak, anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts