1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a SA Loaded with Novak Sights. Problem is, either the dots aren't bright enough or it's my bi-focals. Either way, I'm having a hard time seeing the front sight. I was thinking maybe a drop of florescent orange paint on the front sight. Any suggestions?

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
You want to paint over the Tritium vials which provide illumation at night?

Are these Novaks or Novak-type sights? My real Novaks will take a bit of white paint that fills and highlights the outside diameter of the vial. The faux-Novaks are harder to paint as the rear of the sight is serrated.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assumed they're Novak's. They came with the Sa Combat SS I bought NIB. All they have is little white dots not vials.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
They're probably faux Novaks, but white paint won't hurt the dots. Or orange.

SA Combat SS? Sounds like a Camero! ;) Whatcha got?

-- Chuck

·
Registered
102 Posts
If they are Novak sights, they will be stamped NOVAK'S on the left side of the rear sight mount (where the sight slide's into the dovetail). Their patent number will be stamped below that in smaller print. I'm looking at mine, which are on my Loaded Champion built in 2000 (a very early Loaded gun with extended left-side only safety and no front slide serrations). Springfield went to copies of the Novak sights sometime in the last few years. In any case, it sounds from your posts as if they may be 3-dot (painted) sights, rather than the Trijicon "glow in the dark" sights. If so, a bit of paint may be appropriate; you may also want to look into a product called "Nite Sites" (or something close to that). They are some sort of fluoroscent "glue-on" dots for adding to existing sights which are reportedly luminous in dark (if they are exposed to light for a relatively short time period prior to onset of darkness} and are also highlly visible in daylight conditions, which is not, generally, a feature of the Trijicon dot sights (daylight visibility, that is). The cost is, as I recall, around $10, so it can't hurt to try them. Glad you asked your question, I've been meaning to find the link and order some to try out. If I can locate them again, I'll order some and post as to their effectiveness.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is what a Blacken Combat SS looks like. I know the sight photo is a little fuzzy. Actually, the camera picked up the sights better than my eyes do. Hmmm, what's that tell you? Anyway, there's no marking on the side of the sights, so I guess they're just wanna-be Novaks. My eyes don't pick up that front sight very good. I'll have to do something with it.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts