1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let the board know about a great custom smithy with quick turnaround, reasonable prices and first quality work. On December 15, 2000 I sent off my three year old Kimber Custom Classic to Joe Bonar of Novak's. Joe and I talked on the phone to plan out this gun. From the three choices I gave him to build, (Colt, SA and Kimber) he immediately said to send him the Kimber. "Best slide to frame fit available today' is how he described it. I decided on the FBI conversion package with a few personal modifications and off it went. I was expecting a sixteen to twenty week wait as per their estimates. Joe called me himself on Feb. 15, two months to the day later and said my piece was ready. Took delivery a few days later and I have to tell you that it's incredible. Fit, finish, function; it's all there. There's not a sharp edge to be found and they even swapped out the plastic mainspring housing with a flat checkered one without being asked. I thought of that detail when he called to say it was ready and he told me that was one of the first things he did. He takes too much pride in his guns to send them out with a plastic MSH.
At the range the gun was flawless. Accuracy was phenomenal and the gun was 100% reliable and not just with premium ammo. Overall I couldn't be more pleased. This gun is as custom as custom gets and I was shocked at how quickly it came back to me.

If you are searching for a great custom at a good price give them a call.

------------------
DVC,
Sean

[This message has been edited by Seanmac45 (edited 03-04-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,366 Posts
Novak's customized my Hi-Power. To say I am pleased is an understatement.

Congrats on a good working piece.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,395 Posts
I would just like to add that Novak's will do small jobs with the same painstaking quality as the fullhouse options. I had them install a beavertail grip safety on a stl 1991A1 and it was perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
A few years ago, I sent a Smith 4516-2 out to Novaks for some extensive work (can't remember what the package was called...but it was a carry package with bar-dots, dehoned, crown, trigger job, etc..). From the day I sent the pistol out to it's return to me was 12 days!

I was amazed!
-R

[This message has been edited by Rodmann (edited 03-04-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Originally posted by col132:
I would just like to add that Novak's will do small jobs with the same painstaking quality as the fullhouse options. I had them install a beavertail grip safety on a stl 1991A1 and it was perfect.
That is a fact! If your fortunate enough to be able to drop your pistol off in person, you can usually wait on it for small jobs or at least go back in a couple of hours and pick it up, they won't rip you off either. They are really a pleasure to deal with and Joe Bonar knows his stuff.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
10,907 Posts
I had Novak build me a pistol to my specs. They did a great job, and I've been very happy with it... but I spent a year on their waiting list and then waited another year after I sent in my frame and slide.
Do they have different queues for different types of jobs? Are they less busy now than they were 3 years ago? Or am I the only one that doesn't know someone there?

TB., NC
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dpcdivr;

Their price on the full FBI package is $2,000.00 on your gun. However, I deleted the ambi thumb safety in favor of the Brown strong-side only, and I also deleted the front strap checkering and I added the conversion from a full length guide rod to a GI guide and plug. I also left out the Smith & Alexander magazine funnel. Finally, I didn't need the five Wilson-Rogers 7 round magazines that normally come with the package. I have more than ten of the eight rounders because that's all that I use. With all of my changes the total came to $1600.00 and worth every penny.

Tim;

The only thing that I could figure is that maybe I caught them at a slow time, since I don't think many people send out guns for expensive customizations in mid-December.



------------------
DVC,
Sean

[This message has been edited by Seanmac45 (edited 03-04-2001).]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
939 Posts
Seanmac45, You've went to one of the best around to build your gun, glad you are pleased.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,108 Posts
Joe Bonar fixed my '91A1 stainless up with a Bar-Sto barrel once. Did a beautiful job, and he fixed the trigger job Wilson Combat couldn't get right.
Did I mention he dehorned and polished the pistol for free?
I have no idea why, but I wasn't about to complain


TRB
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,879 Posts
Novak Custom does the Spec Ops package on the Browning Highpowers I sell. I have never had a complaint from a customer on any of those guns.

Be safe

Terry Peters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
Do they have a web site? Thanks, Sam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
Do they have a web site? Thanks, Sam
www.novaksights.com

------------------
Alfadog
NRA Life Member

"DO NOT TAKE COUNSEL OF YOUR FEARS."
--G. S. Patton, Jr., Lt. Gen., USA, 6 March 1944
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Hi Metalsmith,

I really value your opinion after seeing your high quality metal work and you seem to really know the business. Do you really believe that the Novak shop is the best around.

Thank you for your time.

------------------
Fraternally yours

Jimmy Ward
Combat Tech
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Originally posted by Tim Burke:
I had Novak build me a pistol to my specs. They did a great job, and I've been very happy with it... but I spent a year on their waiting list and then waited another year after I sent in my frame and slide.
Do they have different queues for different types of jobs? Are they less busy now than they were 3 years ago? Or am I the only one that doesn't know someone there?

TB., NC
TIM SOMETIMES THERE ARE THINGS THAT CUSTOM PISTOLSMITHS HAVE NO CONTROL OVER AND WAITS ON EVERY HANDGUN IF YOU CALL THEM AND TELL THEM YOU NEED YOUR BLASTER QUICK IM SHURE THEY WOULD TRY TO HELP IN EVERY WAY.


------------------
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Originally posted by Seanmac45:
Just wanted to let the board know about a great custom smithy with quick turnaround, reasonable prices and first quality work. On December 15, 2000 I sent off my three year old Kimber Custom Classic to Joe Bonar of Novak's. Joe and I talked on the phone to plan out this gun. From the three choices I gave him to build, (Colt, SA and Kimber) he immediately said to send him the Kimber. "Best slide to frame fit available today' is how he described it. I decided on the FBI conversion package with a few personal modifications and off it went. I was expecting a sixteen to twenty week wait as per their estimates. Joe called me himself on Feb. 15, two months to the day later and said my piece was ready. Took delivery a few days later and I have to tell you that it's incredible. Fit, finish, function; it's all there. There's not a sharp edge to be found and they even swapped out the plastic mainspring housing with a flat checkered one without being asked. I thought of that detail when he called to say it was ready and he told me that was one of the first things he did. He takes too much pride in his guns to send them out with a plastic MSH.
At the range the gun was flawless. Accuracy was phenomenal and the gun was 100% reliable and not just with premium ammo. Overall I couldn't be more pleased. This gun is as custom as custom gets and I was shocked at how quickly it came back to me.

If you are searching for a great custom at a good price give them a call.

THE ONLY THING I SEE THAT MIGHT HAVE MADE YOUR BLASTER EVEN MORE OF A PIECE OF ART WOULD BE SOME CHECKERING ON THE FRONT STRAP I WOULD ONLY ADVISE THAT IF YOU LOVE YOUR BLASTER YOU ONLY LET THE BEST IN THE BUISNESS DO THE WORK! THE ONLY PERSON THAT DOES WORLD CLASS CHECKERING WOULD HAVE TO BE A PERFECTIONIST LIKE PETE SINGLE!



------------------
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
939 Posts
Hi StreetSurvival, Thank you for the taking intrest in my post. Yes, I do think Novak's is one of the best shops around or I would not of wrote it. Let me say this: my business does not deal with the public at large, I deal with Pistolsmiths, I provide a precision machine service that the average Pistolsmith can't do economicly. I deal with Pistolsmith all acrossed the country, about 36 in all. Joe Bonar at "Novak's" does the bulk of the .45 work. I can speak for for Joe's work, he is one of the few I've run acrossed that throughly understands the design and funtion of the 1911 pistol. If I have a little problem I've run acrossed building a pistol Joe is the "go to guy" he is one of the first I ask, or the "Pistolwrench" Chuck is also a very skilled machinist, Larry Vickers is also very knowledgable, if these 3 can't give you answer your stuck! Big shops have a few people working in them, for my money I'd nail down the guy I'd want to do my work. Hope this clears things up, Thanks, Metalsmith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
PJB 45 CAN YOU HEAR ME I AM WONDERING IF YOU CAN HEAR ME BECAUSE I AM WONDERING I AM SHOUTING AT YOU LIKE THIS!


Just having a little fun with you PJ!


You are a new memeber I see. I haven't been here too long either. One thing though - WRITING IN ALL CAPS LIKE THIS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING! Not only here - but on any forum anywhere, and also in e-mail. So..you'll have to be like the rest of us who never learned to type in school, and find out how those <SHIFT> and <CAPS LOCK> keys work....

But welcome aboard!

[This message has been edited by Kevinch (edited 03-06-2001).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Originally posted by Kevinch:
PJB 45 CAN YOU HEAR ME I AM WONDERING IF YOU CAN HEAR ME BECAUSE I AM WONDERING I AM SHOUTING AT YOU LIKE THIS!


Just having a little fun with you PJ!


You are a new memeber I see. I haven't been here too long either. One thing though - WRITING IN ALL CAPS LIKE THIS IS CONSIDERED SHOUTING! Not only here - but on any forum anywhere, and also in e-mail. So..you'll have to be like the rest of us who never learned to type in school, and find out how those <SHIFT> and <CAPS LOCK> keys work....

But welcome aboard!

[This message has been edited by Kevinch (edited 03-06-2001).]
hows this im not shouting now but can you hear me? i apologize for my non typing skills but i not a typer im something else with my hands try to bare with me for a while please. thanks



------------------
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top