1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
www.gunbroker.com/item/890396733
Just purchased the pistol for $950 plus shipping and taxes. I own a couple dozen FNHigh Power/Browning Hi Power pistols but all are original.
This pistol is Novak customized. I've never owned a customized BHP. Am hoping I bought the pistol for a fair and reasonable price. Can anyone give me their best thoughts?
Thanks. Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
At that price if it runs you stole it. The base gun is worth $600+. I see a beavertail, stippling, commander ring hammer, custom thumb safety, novak sights and I assume a trigger job. At least $1000 worth of custom work. You did well. When it arrives tell us how it shoots.

Did that auction just get listed? I scanned GB early today and certainly did not see that. Maybe I missed it and I am slipping.LOL

Reactions: vmr357 and colrhino

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think you are slipping.
I was killing time, refreshed GB and damn, there it was where it had not been a few minutes before. It listed while I was logged on. I appreciate your insights. Thanks

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I don't think you are slipping.
I was killing time, refreshed GB and damn, there it was where it had not been a few minutes before. It listed while I was logged on. I appreciate your insights. Thanks
It would not surprise me if that buy it now was missing a "1". $1950 would be a proper buy it now in today's market. Well done!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Great find!. You scored if the ad is legit (7 positive ratings are not exactly a track record). The Novak BHP is the apex of custom HiPowers. Be mindful, though, that while the P35 is a great pistola, it is not a hard-use, high round-count one, nor are they meant to digest a steady diet of +P loads. (Yes, I know that European 9mm Parabellum ammo pressures are generally higher than U.S.-mfgrs.). Wayne says the frames are good for about 25K rounds, and FN went to investment-cast frames because they found them to be more durable (and cheaper) than the forged frames.

I carried a Behlert BHP back in the 70s and later had two Special Ops that Wayne and his crew did for me many years ago in the 90's. I later sold them to fund high-dollar 1911s. I still have a couple of stock Brownings, as well as the Argy FM-85 that Dave Williams did for me, though. Good luck with that Novak pistola!

Reactions: colrhino

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You did really well on that one. Now you have one that you can shoot and carry.
I'm excited about the purchase. I know nothing of customized Browning Hi Powers but have been reading about Novak pistols since I hit the "buy now" button. They have a wide range of products and enjoy a great reputation for quality and craftsmanship.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Great find!. You scored if the ad is legit (7 positive ratings are not exactly a track record). The Novak BHP is the apex of custom HiPowers. Be mindful, though, that while the P35 is a great pistola, it is not a hard-use, high round-count one, nor are they meant to digest a steady diet of +P loads. (Yes, I know that European 9mm Parabellum ammo pressures are generally higher than U.S.-mfgrs.). Wayne says the frames are good for about 25K rounds, and FN went to investment-cast frames because they found them to be more durable (and cheaper) than the forged frames.

I carried a Behlert BHP back in the 70s and later had two Special Ops that Wayne and his crew did for me many years ago in the 90's. I later sold them to fund high-dollar 1911s. I still have a couple of stock Brownings, as well as the Argy FM-85 that Dave Williams did for me, though. Good luck with that Novak pistola!
There was a time when Novak was one of the best if not the best BHP shop but I am not sure that is still the truth. Wayne no longer works on the guns like he did back in the day. You are getting a good knowledge smith but you are not getting a "Wayne Novak" or "Kurt Wickman" gun anymore. There are other smiths in the BHP universe who are still one man one pistol shops. They IMHO are the the apex. We lost one of those last year. Mr Jim Garthwaite. In no way am I saying that Novak does not make a good gun. IMHO they do. They are still in the top 10 but not the top 5 for my money. YMMV

As to the legitimacy of the ad I believe it is real because the seller is allowing payment via CC. If the buyer pays with a CC they will be protected from fraud. The only real exposure on GB is when you pay via Paypal, Check or USPS MO. CC purchases are 100% covered.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a pretty thing. I know there are a ton of folks who enjoy the BHP threads and who probably own Novak's as well as other customized pistols. Be fun to see some of their pictures as I await receipt of my "new" Novak's.
I do own two late 70s, early 80s alloy frame FNs that Bob Cogan of APW refurbished this past summer. All new springs, minor trigger work and a beautiful cerekote satin finish.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
That's a pretty thing. I know there are a ton of folks who enjoy the BHP threads and who probably own Novak's as well as other customized pistols. Be fun to see some of their pictures as I await receipt of my "new" Novak's.
I do own two late 70s, early 80s alloy frame FNs that Bob Cogan of APW refurbished this past summer. All new springs, minor trigger work and a beautiful cerekote satin finish.
Some of the family...

Bob Cogan T Series

Don Williams Alloy & Alloy Redux

Ted Yost

Jim Garthwaite

Don Williams C Series

Unkown Builder C series

My first BHP Custom Jim West of Wild West Guns

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I think you have got it covered!
I used to have a Novak but I sold it to my best friend. He begged me for it and I gave in. I still need a Bill Laughlin C&S, a Kurt Wickman Novak, an Austin Behlert, a Karl Sokol, and a Jim Hoag.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
All of my Novak Hi Powers were done by Kurt Wickmann. He is the one who put Novak on the BHP map.
Yes you are correct. Wickman did most of the BHP work but he no longer works there correct? I thought he has his own shop at one time but I have not heard his name for years. Has he passed or just retired.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rellascout
I promise I will display mine when the Novak's arrives. You've some absolutely superb pistols!

·
Premium Member
2,346 Posts
That seller SCREWED HIMSELF by not mentioning "NOVAK" in the title or description. I would have missed the stamp had you not prefaced it in your thread.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Great score on the HP. You did really really well. The thumb safety looks like a don williams and will be very functional. I have a number of Novaks including two recent builds, one Night Ops with a carry beavertail and a 40 converted to a 9mm Special ops. Both are done extremely well and couldn't be more pleased. I also have a Kurt Wickman 40 and where you see the difference is the trigger which is amazing. I bought it from a retired Intell community gov employee who ordered it without the Novak logo but provided me the receipt from Kurt. Sits in the safe and I carry the other Novaks daily.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Yes you are correct. Wickman did most of the BHP work but he no longer works there correct? I thought he has his own shop at one time but I have not heard his name for years. Has he passed or just retired.
Wickman gave-in to Demon Rum years ago and got himself into deep financial and legal trouble. He is either living under the radar or behind bars.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts