1911Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
That seller SCREWED HIMSELF by not mentioning "NOVAK" in the title or description. I would have missed the stamp had you not prefaced it in your thread.
The seller screwed up putting a $950 Buy it Now on the auction. I would have bought it without any mention of Novak or the Novak logo on the slide. On second look I am not 100% sure this is a complete Novak build. Clearly Novak did part of it but the more I look at it the more there are some tells that someone else might have had their hands on this gun.

The beavertail looks like a Novak like in that it has a very flat plain and is not overly large but it does not have any upswing. The thumb safety is a custom piece built from a factory ambi to my eyes but it does not a standard Novak lever. It might have been built before they produced that part. The hammer looks to be a C&S part. Overall the gun looks like a Novak.

The stippling looks professional but it some of it does not look like Novaks stippling. Novak stipples the entire back of the frame. They do not create a line on the back of the grip strap. They stipple the entire back of the frame. The style of the stippling is consistent with what you see from Novak vs other shops. It has a wavy pattern to it s a pin punch sandpaper sort of style. See the pic below. It could be that this gun was first done by Novak and then worked on by another smith. This does not take away from the gun. It is still a fantastic deal. I would call Novak and see if they can tell you what was done to the gun by them and go from there but mainly just enjoy it.

Novak Stippling.

OPs gun

Reactions: colrhino

·
Premium Member
2,695 Posts
This sounds like a trolling question as anyone who collects BHPs should know a Novak is sought after, and a used Novak is still worth 2-3x the amount paid. If the gun was in an adult caliber I would happily pay twice that amount for it.

Too many dealers have no idea what they are selling and am wondering how they must have come by that firearm for such a small amount of money that they would sell something it for such a small amount of money. I bought two Baers last year for far less they they are worth, and I see two more on GB that people need to grab because they are older Hillsdale guns, which are very desirable. There are lots of deals to be had on the online auction sites if you know what to look for.

Reactions: colrhino

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
back in '89, as I was about to be deployed to Desert Storm, I wanted a reliable firearm, so contacted Bill Lauridge at Cylinder & Slide, and he sourced and "built" one of the later guns, with the black epoxy finish (which has been extremely durable), although when I was issued a 1911, I didi not take it to the war. I have had it back to C&S several more times over the past 30 years, for further "tuning", and shoot it a lot. Long years ago, in '69, I bought when I was in Germany with the 3d ID a '66 T HP. Had to seller it for school tuition later, and always regretting that. So about 6 or 7 years ago, found a mint '66T with the zipper bag at my local Gun Store, bought it I think for about $600 or so, and sent that one also to C&S, for their magic. Gave that one to my son.

Then about 4 years ago, a shooting buddy sold me this Practical for $500, and it too went to C&S, as have a variety of other 1911 guns. All of them are just great guns.

All have Novak thee dot sights on them, and shoot precisely to my point of aim. They handle every reload I put down the tube, too.

All the best, and stay safe, NV
[url=https://postimg.cc/GT9CzfSb][/URL]

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hal, very nice gun, but I don't think that's a Novak rear sight; the gripping straitions on the side make me think that it's a Kensight or Champion rear-not bad sights, but not a Novak, which also has some other differences with the surface that the dots are situated on.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last time I looked on his web site his High powers were selling for over 3 grand.
You scored!
Be prepared to be treated rudely if you ever call Mr. Wayne Novak. I made that mistake and he was definitely annoyed that I called. I was wanting to have some custom work done on my pistol but after being talked to like a dog I will never, ever have anything to do with any Novak item. And...he is from my own home state of WV. BTY, I already know that he was probably busy at the time, etc., etc., but I've been in business for over 40 years and I have always taken the time to be polite and courteous to people calling in spite of being very busy. He has been so successful he has forgotten the little people who gave him his start.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Problem is that you can have that happen with just about anyone. I had a full custom Hi Power built by Jim Garthwaite back in the 90's. Pleasure to deal with, and the final product was awesome. I called him some years later to talk about a build on another Hi Power and he was a full-on douche canoe on the phone. You'd have thought that I ran over his dog from the way he acted, and I definitely didn't have him do the work. The upside was that Don Williams ended up doing the build, and it was phenomenal. Great experience.

However, I sent another project to Don and the last time I talked to him he was also a bit snippy. I was calling to check in with him since the project he quoted me just under a year on had stretched out way beyond that. I never asked about time, just was calling to say hey. For all I know he just got his junk caught in his zipper or had accidentally shut the car door on his hand. Since you don't communicate with these people every day, it is easy to forget that all of us can be caught at a bad moment and respond in a less than professional/cordial/friendly way. Doesn't make it right, but it happens.

I had Wayne Novak do some work for me on a Hi Power 25 years ago, and it was solid from beginning to end. And that was 25 years ago, so take it for what it's worth...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'd rather have a rude guy do good work than a super-nice guy screw up my firearm; I've had that happen a couple of times. One super-nice guy filed the extractor star on a P&R S&W until it wouldn't index, felt awful about it, apologized a million times...but couldn't fix it. Another 'gunsmith' years ago did a trigger job on a P&R M19 and it was badly out of time after the work; he was an awfully nice guy, though, and had an awesome sales pitch, as well.

Customer service skills do NOT equal quality gunsmithing.

Larry

·
Registered
286 Posts
In over 30 years experience with Novak's I have never had a such an experience nor has anyone I ever referred there had such an experience. Fact is, just the opposite!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This is the original posted pistol for which I paid $950. My very first "custom" BHP.
As you can see, the slide is Novak's marked. SN puts it as a 1993 shipped pistol. The sights, front and rear are Novak's marked Trijicon T H3 98, the stocks appear factory but the quality of wood and burl suggests otherwise. The magazine is made by Ram Line, the magazine release and trigger have been fine tuned, the ring hammer and beavertail and ambidextrous safeties are not OEM. The stippling begins on the back strap, surrounds the serial number on the front strap and extends forward on the trigger guard. The finish is black satin-like.

Condition is excellent. Very slight evidence of holster wear on the high edges. There was some discussion that the pistol may have been reworked after Novak's did the original customizing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think those grips pre-date the pistol. Browning used some nice French walnut for many years. Are they red on the back by chance?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
This is the original posted pistol for which I paid $950. My very first "custom" BHP.
As you can see, the slide is Novak's marked. SN puts it as a 1993 shipped pistol. The sights, front and rear are Novak's marked Trijicon T H3 98 ...
Condition is excellent. Very slight evidence of holster wear on the high edges. There was some discussion that the pistol may have been reworked after Novak's did the original customizing. Any thoughts?
That is a beauty. I am truly impressed. In CA that would easily be $2000. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I think those grips pre-date the pistol. Browning used some nice French walnut for many years. Are they red on the back by chance?
Blued pistols of that vintage came with non-red backed Walnut grips.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
To the OP as already stated you did well. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Wayne ran him off years ago. Sad to see such talent get tossed down the drain.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Wayne ran him off years ago. Sad to see such talent get tossed down the drain.
If this is in reference to Wickmann, you are absolutely correct. I have a 1989 MK III that Kurt performed the Special Ops package on in 1991 while still at Wayne's. This pistol has the most amazing trigger I have ever encountered on a Hi Power.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a Wickman built 40 HP and the trigger is the best of all the HP's I own. Not sure what ever happened to such a fine gunsmith.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts