1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After about a 10 month wait... received my second SA Pro today.

Full report will follow the 500 round break in which will take place over the next few days but I thought some here might be interested in preliminary observations.

According to the Custom Shop paperwork it was completed exactly a week ago today. Serial number is 20XX.

Like my last Pro this one comes in an off the shelf commercial pistol box, an MTM foam lined item this time (last one was a Plano). Actually the pistol was in a bubble-pack envelope, which in turn was inside the box... along with 6 Metalform mags fitted to the gun (one still has fitting notes in evidence on the tube, in Sharpie marker). A GI brush, chamber indicator, SA Owners manual, and signed Custom Shop certificate round out the package.

Impeccable fit and finish. T I G H T. Requires a certain effort to break loose from battery. Just like the first (which has been running flawlessly over the past year).

Well lubricated.

Some interesting differences from my first Pro model, which coincidentally was completed by the Custom Shop in the same week last year. (Serial number 17XX).

1. Both my Pro models have all markings engraved on the slide and frame (as opposed to dot matrix or roll marks). However, the original Pro model engraving is somewhat bold. The engraving on the new Pro is much more subtle. The lines in all of the characters are much thinner, to the point where it is difficult to read from a meter away, and difficult to even tell there is any engraving at all from a couple of meters away. The lines are about comparable to the thickness of a thick human hair. I really like it, very understated but perfectly crisp.

2. The Nowlin match barrel muzzle protrudes about .100 less from the bushing than the one in my original Pro.

3. The grip safety is set to a very sensitive configuration. I may still have to pin this one, but it sets much more easily than my (now pinned) original.

4. Trigger pull is quite crisp at about four pounds. It is not absolutely perfect- there is the slightest hint of movement before the break, if you watch v e r y carefully, but it is excellent. Some break-in will no doubt help that last 1/10th of a percent that defines perfection. My original is 3.75 pounds and is glass-rod perfect, but it began very much like the new one.

5. I forgot how flat the original Black-T finish really is. My well-used but not abused Pro is practically glossy compared to the NIB condition.

6. Like my first Pro, this one needs nothing in the way of dehorning. No tool marks inside or out. Very nice indeed.

Additional comments edited in after full detail strip:

-The stocks are much nicer than usual SA stocks. A very nice well-figured set of Cocobolo slabs on par with anything from the best aftermarket makers.

-The bushing is TIGHT. There is a reason they include a Wilson metal bushing wrench. This bushing laughs at plastic wrenches.

-Actual MEASURED trigger weight is FIVE pounds not four (my subjective assessment vs. my scale)

-Upper and lower barrel lug engagement seem just about perfect.

-The front sight is lower than the one in my first Pro model, by a full 0.020".

-Same Wilson BP extractor and what appears to be a Wilson tactical safety and slide stop.

I look forward to break-in.

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Archer,

Thank you for sharing. I am almost ashamed that I have not yet ordered a Springfield Professional Model. It is a well made pistol, to which I would only make a couple of changes. In 2004 I will order one to show my customers. {"No really, honey, this is for display. I didn't buy it for me!}

I look forward to your report and pics. Happy Thanksgiving.

Damian

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the post

I want one of these real bad. I haven't seen any recent posts regarding the pro. I guess all of the pro owners are out shooting and not posting. A good sign I guess. Please post more after its "maiden voyage".

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who said anything about paying retail ? :D

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Archer,

You have got to be kidding me about the wait time. I remember way back when you said you had one on order and I posted I knew where one was. That was like January or so, same time I opted to pick up the SS TRP.

Shortly there after you picked it up from Impact.

Karsten

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Karsten,

You're thinking of my first Pro which I bought from Impact after your tip. I had (still have) a TRP before that.

The second Professional was ordered earlier this year. It was scheduled for the April build, but what would have been my pistol from that build was taken by the FBI for their purposes (they get first dibs).

The new pistol was built last week.

Brother Methias,
I received a favorable price on this item in lieu of compensation for an appearance at a trade show in January.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
What do you mean Black T starts out dull and ends up shiny? Does it absorb oils? Could you post some pics? One day when I am older and more wealthy I hope to own one.

:D

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mus asked:

What do you mean Black T starts out dull and ends up shiny?
Yes, after more than 30,000 presentations from a leather holster, the Black-T finish on my Professional is a semi-gloss finish.

My transfer device for my digicam isn't handy at the moment so please forgive this poor-quality snapshot from my Sony Clie.

The pistol in the forground is about a year old and well-used (but not abused, unless you count a bit of crawling in the dirt at Gunsite) and the other has yet to be fired except for whatever the Custom Shop does before departure.

The photo isn't ideal but it does illustrate the difference.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Archer said:

Yes, after more than 30,000 presentations from a leather holster, the Black-T finish on my Professional is a semi-gloss finish.

Well, al be hood winked.....That darn Archer is nothing more than a show off.......30,000 presentation, heck half of SLC must have seen that gun at least once :biglaugh:

With all due respect the above is just in jest, I just couldn't pass it up.

Nice pistols Archer

:D

Karsten

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, you know Karsten, I actually really do practice !! ;)

That is a guesstimate based on an average of 100 presentations a day, for 11 months. I might be off by a bit, but I'm in the neighborhood. Some days are zero, some are 200.

But hey, someone has to kill all those zeroes that keep appearing on the televisor, right ??

This photo is a little better and also illustrates the difference in the current engraving job on the slide and frame as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Old on left, new on right. (the old pistol has a relatively fresh layer of Gunkote on the bbl hood).

Another slight oddity- much narrower (by half) screw slots on the new one. Defeats the purpose of slotted screws IMHO (one can use a cartridge rim to unscrew the old type screw). I suppose one could get by in a pinch with a knife blade.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Archer, now really.......No way are you going to confuss that you might have a special out of the way place in the house. Complete with a full lenght mirror, carpeted floor away from the family where you practice draws and tactical reloads.

You aren't one of the wackos that go to the range and stand in like surrender postour or hands at rest just to draw and fire 2 rounds and holster hot/safety on......Never :rolleyes:

Now really....no one really sits around with an unloaded pistol and picks the BG on the TV just to see if you can get him while practicing trigger pull........Or do they :confused:

Sorta makes one wonder after shooting 7-8 years of IPSC and NRA Action pistol plus practice time.......

Karsten

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
T. Defense,

It's a tool, so I don't get too worked up about it. However...since you asked...

/mild rant on

I prefer subtle engraving. I also like old-school 1950's small rollmark Colts. I simply like the old school lines. Plain slides.

I am not a fan of front cocking serrations (had a rather painful reminder as to why earlier today as I was helping a friend with a trigger reset drill...). I just do not like them. They draw my hand toward the muzzle and ejection port, toward things that can bite. They eat my holsters. They slow my draw.

I personally do not like the uber rollmarks, lasermarks, etchings, engravings and neon signs which appear on so many 1911's out there today, probably in an attempt to differentiate one from another.

If I want to see billboards I will drive down I-15 between Primm and Vegas, thank you very much.

This therefore puts me off the SW1911, most Kimbers, and Valtros among many others as a result (*not that those are not fine guns, it's simply an aesthetic thing*).

Some days I think I want to just shoot an old-school, non-beavertail 1911 with a slightly bobbed hammer, 1950's style Hi-vis sights, and a well worn blue finish. And the heck with this expensive Finn powder, give me eighty-two pounds of Bullseye and a few tons of wheel weights.

I think I must be getting crochety or something... or maybe I secretly wish I had been born 30-40 years earlier and living in Big Bear in the late 50's. It was better then. At least it seems that way, anyhow.

/mild rant off

(OK I really know better than that. But I feel much better now, thanks.)

Karsten,

Noooooo, nobody we know does that stuff... :cool:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Our board moderator LW McVay can answer this with much more authority than I, but to the best of my knowledge all Pro models have always had a rounded, high-hand type frontstrap. Both my Pro models and my TRP have virtually identical frontstrap radii and lenghts. These frontstraps are very similar to those on a Wilson or Colt.

The dustcover profile is a bit thicker than those on a normal Colt.
I have heard that normal factory Springfields are being produced with a rounder profile dustcover, but I have read in other threads here posted over a year ago that this is not planned for the Pro models because the FBI is said to like them the way they are. It would seem that is correct.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Are all of the pros specialty built by SA per order, Or can you find one at a gun shop anywhere?

Also if you guys can post a pic of one that would be awsome :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts