1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would you please give me a .45 acp load that will deliver 750 fps from a 4 1\4 inch barrel using red dot powder and a 230 gr. fmj..thanks much

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Welcome rugerguy. Red-dot is my favourite .45ACP powder! Commander length are my favourite 1911's! We're gonna get along just fine!

4.6 - 4.7 gr's should give you what you want. My favourite load in 4 1/4" is 5.0 grs. with a 225 gr. LFP. This is good for about 825 FPS, and is highly accurate, clean and powerful (yet light kicking) in my Commander length guns.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by shane45-1911:
Welcome rugerguy. Red-dot is my favourite .45ACP powder! Commander length are my favourite 1911's! We're gonna get along just fine!

4.6 - 4.7 gr's should give you what you want. My favourite load in 4 1/4" is 5.0 grs. with a 225 gr. LFP. This is good for about 825 FPS, and is highly accurate, clean and powerful (yet light kicking) in my Commander length guns.
Shane, how would you compare Tightgroup with Red dot in cleanliness and FPS.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Originally posted by Gargoyle:
Shane, how would you compare Tightgroup with Red dot in cleanliness and FPS.

Gargoyle, Titegroup is a great powder too. I found it very economical. The only problem I found is that it tended to be a little dirtier at lower volumn loads (true of most powders though). Red-dot seems to be cleaner burning across the board with light and full power loads.

If you are considering Red-dot, make sure you get the new Alliant Red-dot. There is still a lot of the old Hercules brand sitting around on dealers shelves, and it is considerably dirtier. Alliant ownership really cleaned this powder up.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Thanks Shane.
Tighgroup seems to be helping me put the bullets where I want them. I'm loading 6gr of Tightgroup for 200gr bullets.(gun has 22lb spring and high grainage and +Ps seem to function the best)
However, the stuff gets aweful gummy after 150rds, especially in humidity. I was thinking of going "Clays" but I see where the chamber pressures are high for the little FPS achieved.
I remember all of your posts on Allaint Red Dot and thinking that I may give it a try.

[This message has been edited by Gargoyle (edited 07-29-2001).]

·
Registered
550 Posts
The primary cause of "gummy" 1911s is over-lubrication. Wipe all that excess oil off before shooting and the residue will be reduced.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by KLN:
The primary cause of "gummy" 1911s is over-lubrication. Wipe all that excess oil off before shooting and the residue will be reduced.
Is this the case with rem oil as well? It only has a light coat applied.

·
Registered
550 Posts
All oils attract and hold powder residue, forming a black sludge. The less oil on your pistol, the less sludge. I don't oil mine at all. They get cleaned with Hoppe's and wiped down with a CorrosionX damp towel. That leaves plenty of lubrication without adding more oil.

If you have a particularly tight custom piece that requires more lubrication, just remember, the less, the better. This is particularly true of carry guns, which can collect dirt, dust and sand in the oil.

Most .45's run fine nearly dry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts