1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 48 hours ago I received a Priority Mail package.

For the past two days I have had what I can only describe as Belt bliss.

A few weeks ago I ordered a plain black cow tapered concealable belt from Lou Alessi (goes from 1.25 at the buckle to 1.5 where it counts) to go with the variety of Alessi belt holsters I own (DOJ for a 1911, CQC-S models for an HK and a 1911, CQC-I for an HK, Talon for a 1911).

Details, details. Lou Alessi gear is all about the details.

From the perfectly domed, tapered construction that makes the belt ACT 1/4 inch thick but FEEL like a fine dress belt, to the top-grain undyed cowhide lining the belt, (to keep the dye off your clothes) to the perfect stitching, to the custom touches (my initials stamped into the belt buckle tab... and HOW did you learn what my middle initial was Lou ???) to the Brass Chicago screws... HEX HEAD Chicago screws... high-quality brass buckle...to the perfect custom curve for that broken-in feel.

I pretty much left it up to Lou to decide what length the belt needed to be, after explaining the way I wear and use my belts and giving him a couple of examples (for instance, a 36 Wilderness for OWB, but a 38 Wilderness for IWB).

He sent me a 38 belt that is perfect for IWB with a Talon and a 1911 (which I was wearing when the belt arrived).

I was concerned that the belt might be a bit loose for OWB but I was wrong. When I got home and put on my CQC-S and adjusted the belt a notch tighter, the fit was perfect and I still have a notch to go. Due to the dual keepers, the tab looks right in both settings- no excess length in the OWB setting.

This is the first leather belt I have ever had that felt both correctly sized and comfortable in both modes. Putting it another way, I have a closet full of leather and Wilderness belts and this is the only one that works right for both. It works with my suits and it works with my blue jeans.

It smells good too. (if you have never opened an Alessi package you do not know what you are missing. It is a very distinctive aroma that could make Lou a fortune if he ever figures out how to bottle it.)

I have heard that making belts is NOT Lous favorite thing to do- they are a lot of work and it shows with this belt. But if you are looking for a belt that does it all, before you spend more on an off the shelf item, I highly recommend you think about an Alessi.

·
Premium Member
20,399 Posts
Archer...If Lou doesn't hire you on the spot he should refund every penny and give you that belt. An advertising agency couldn't have come up with a nicer endorsement! Congratulations.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, you know Husker, if I could find anything bad, I would certainly include it. It is not like I am a gun writer, you know.:D

Hmm. OK, now that you have made me think about it, I figured out one bad thing.

AN INNOCENT COW HAD TO DIE TO MAKE THAT BELT !!! Oh the humanity ! That poor cow did nothing to deserve such a fate. If only Alessi would invest in Kydex belt technology and McDonalds would sell Soyburgers, such needless death could be avoided. Then cows and people could co-exist in a blissful, agrarian state, and we could worry about other important things such as the question of whether carrots actually scream when boiled.

There, feel better ? :biglaugh:

By the way, for the range, or a day of rolling around in the mud, or struggling through yet another diabolocal Gunsite simulator, those Wilderness belts are unbeatable.

They just look a little funny when worn with a suit.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Kinda' like gilding the lilly, but I have to chime in and agree that Lou's belts are the best.

His attention to detail is unsurpassed, and the design (domed contour, finished edges, dress appearance) is superior.

I have four of 'em that I rotate through for varying daily use: 2 brown ("cowhide"), 1 black ("cowhide"), and 1 brown bull shark.
I have yet to actually wear out an Alessi belt, though I've worn out lots of others.

They cost a little bit more, but they're genuinely worth it. JMNSHO

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Would it be improper to ask what the belts cost?

Since Lou does not have a site I don't have any idea of his prices.

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Thanks, however, I did not see any of Lou's belts on the site.

Jerry

·
Registered
90 Posts
Lou's Gear is Top Shelf bar none

What Archer said about Lou leatherware is 110% true. I found him to be extremley pleasant to deal with and above all a true gentleman.
He's a breath of fresh air to the industry. I have thrown out all my other gear and switched over to his and I couldn't be happier.

Trust me give Lou your business, you will not be dissatisfied.

Fraternally yours

Sergeant Jim Ward

1 - 11 of 11 Posts