1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the barrell and bushing on a loaded SA. The link was loose to the pin and the tightness to the frame was questionable at best. I`m sure the original barrel could have been tightened up, but decided to swap it.
First off, while it did, "drop in" that is about where it ended. Fit finish and fit to frame was excellent as was bushing to barrell.
Tried it pinned in place without the slide on, no problems. Assembled everything and cycled it through, a LOT. No problems. Got home Friday with enough light left to fire two rounds to see where POI was compared to POA. Perfect with my reload mix.
What I failed to do was fire a third shot, that is when everything locked up. While it never galled anywhere on the barrell or the slide, there was definitly not enough clearance when the slide cycled for the hood. Got my other loaded to finish the match. Only lube I had was some engine oil. Put a small drop at the slide and cycled it till my hand got tired. On the way home I fired near 150 rounds before everything worked fine. It would jam, not cycle the slide completely, not eject, you name it.
Polshed EVERYTHING to near mirror smooth and cycled it a LOT before putting it back together. Just got back and went through about 100 more rounds and eveything is just fine.
Accuracy went way up compared to the original set up. This also is not on a carry gun, my play piece. Just thought I would let you kow about my "drop in" parts experience.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Question

Did yo have to file any on the hood to get it to fit? Did it bind at all, and how tight was the lockup?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn`t have to file any material from the barrell, just polish EVERYTHING. The inside of the slide as well as the barrell with emery cloth. Like I said before, it never galled any material from either the barrell or the slide.
The fit of the slide stop was tight enough that I had to use a small nylon mallet to LIGHTLY tap the slide stop into the link the first time. It now will go in with the push of my hand, doesn`t bind up going in, but it is a very snug fit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts