1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen many postings from those praising Nowlin Parts : how are their Guns ?

Anyone own a Nowlin .45 acp and another of similar price from another manufacturer to be able to compare ??

I am seriously considering purchasing one, but it seems they are not very popular for
some reason .... ???

Best !

[This message has been edited by SouthGun (edited 11-02-2001).]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well,
I always like to be different ... So, I'll post a photo of Mine, hopefully early January..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Very interesting.

I have the same question. It looks like no one responded.

Is there some strang reason why no one will talk about Nowlin guns??

Zane

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sorry, I didn't start looking at this site until a month ago
but as far as Nowlins are concerned, I think they are top notch guns. I've owned two a single stack .45 crusader and a STI framed .40.

I love them, they are excellent guns that have functioned flawless.
I have over 5k in my .45 without a problem.
Nowlin is a small shop, semi-custom builder that specializes in making barrels to start with. Their barrels are in the Springfield Professional Model, as well as all of the Custom Shop SA guns.
There are many top shooters who use Nowlins barrels.
When they first started making guns it was the bullseye and IPSC style guns and they have also being making standard 1911.
They use top quality parts and make their own slides and frames along with several other parts.
Jack Ostendorf is the General Manager and has been super to work with.
They have great customer service, and everyone that works there are shooters.
Garth Peterson is a gunsmith there that won the IDPA Nationals in Sharpshooter this year and Marksman last year shooting his Nowlin 45.
Jack is a shooter active in IPSC and IDPA and puts on the region Badlands match in Tulsa ever year. John Nowlin SR was a top rated shooter for a long time and is a member of the American Pistolsmith Guild. Julie his daughter is a top rated IPSC shooter.
They know how to build them and they know how to take care of you as a customer.
I have included several shots of my Nowlins
Check out their website
www.nowlinguns.com
or give Jack a call tell him that Jake Martens told you to call.

My single stack has blued slide and hard chrome frame
30lpi front strap checkering
magwell and adjustable night sites w/ -o- set up
I have owned several 1911's and shoot and handled some custom ones:
Owned:
Kimber Classic Custom SS
Kimber Classic Target
Kimber Pro Elite
Kimber Pro Carry
Kimber Gold Match
SA SS loaded .45
SA SS loaded 9mm
SA Professional Model
2 Colt XSE
3 Colt 80 series Gold Cup Trophies
2 Colt 1960 National Matches
2 Para 14-45 Limiteds

Shot:
Wilson CQB
Wilson Protector
Wilson Classic
Jim Clark Colt Long slide
Jim Clark Colt heavy slide

Handled:
Baer TRS
STI Trojans

And I think the Nowlin is the best out of all of them hands down!!!
here is a link to more photo's
http://community.webshots.com/scripts/controlPanel.fcgi

·
Registered
418 Posts

I have changed grips on mine. I currently have a set of Ahrends African Blackwood doudle diamonds on there.

I have had the single stack for a year now, and as you can tell I really love that gun, hell I even blew it up!!!

New to reloading last year, I had a double load that blew and set off the next round in the mag. Blew the slide stop out, blew the grip panels off, scared the **** outta me but everything was alright. Sent the gun back, they checked everything out, replaced the slide stop and grips and I was back in business. I have put several thousand rounds of 230gr ball factory and 200 gr swc reloads thru it since without a problem.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My Uncle and I love 1911's. Between to two of us we have a nice collection. He has a Nowlin. It's a great pistol. Have the bullets for the front cocking serrations. Compared to other high dollar .45's we have it equal to or better. EGW, BAER, STS, and a few others. By the way the STS is a Mark IV platform customized by Shawn Herman. Chuck Taylor featured a handgun in a magazine awhile ago called the Chuck Taylor Combat Special. Herman was the gunsmith.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts