1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching on this sight for the best aftermarket barrel for my Springfield 9mm, I decided on the Nowlin. I contacted a rep there and he recommended the drop in kit. It has the bushing and link already fitted and is ready to install.
Has anyone had any experience with Nowlins Drop in match barrel?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure about the kit but I bought 2 nowlin barrels from ebay. The link and pin were installed no bushings came with the barrels. One barrel was new and I fitted the bushing. It pretty much did just drop in. Colt slide and Essex frame. It produced one hole groups with my handloads from a rest at 7 yds. and I am an average shooter. The other barrel was used. The rifling was crisp but it looked like someone tok a dremel tool to edges near the barrel hood. I smoothed and squared these. It also dropped in. One hole groups at 7yds. in a caspian frame on a remington rand frame. All that being said these barrels even the the abused one vastly improved the accuracy of my pistols and I would not hesitate to recommend them

·
Registered
217 Posts
Nowlin drop in

I bought one for one of my commanders and it fit perfect in my colt. I got 2" groups and less at 25 yards. It came with a #4 link and I fitted a MGW thick angled barrel bushing. There is a new Nowlin 9mm on Ebay right now for sale (bid).

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
.355" hole

I think Nowlin makes the verybest .355" bore, regardless of what gun the barrel is going in.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I recently fitted the same Nowlin 9mm barrel in an STI frame/Colt slide so that I could shoot 9mm in addition to 38 super. I love the barrel and think that it is excellent. But, don't assume that it is always "drop-in." Mine required a fair amount of work on the hood and a little on the lugs. In addition, I had to use a #2 barrel link in place of the #3 that came with it.

So, my recommendation is:
Buy it,
Try it,
and if it is not "drop-in," be willing to either do the final fitting yourself or take it to an excellent gunsmith.

Nowlin makes great parts, and I have used other items from them. But from any company, not everything that says "drop-in" is truly drop-in.

Rob S

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rob S said:
I recently fitted the same Nowlin 9mm barrel in an STI frame/Colt slide so that I could shoot 9mm in addition to 38 super. I love the barrel and think that it is excellent. But, don't assume that it is always "drop-in." Mine required a fair amount of work on the hood and a little on the lugs. In addition, I had to use a #2 barrel link in place of the #3 that came with it.

So, my recommendation is:
Buy it,
Try it,
and if it is not "drop-in," be willing to either do the final fitting yourself or take it to an excellent gunsmith.

Nowlin makes great parts, and I have used other items from them. But from any company, not everything that says "drop-in" is truly drop-in.

Rob S
I received my "drop in" Nowlin barrel yesterday and will have to have it fitted. After dropping it in, the top of the chamber is rubbing on the inside of the slide. I may be able to fit it but, it's probably better if I have it done by a pro. I don't have enough experience to do it correctly and I'd hate to screw something up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts