1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've don't some searches. So far I've narrowed it down to Nowlin or a Kart Barrel.

I have a Springfield OD Loaded and I want to tighten up the groups.

It just might be a matter of personal prefference. But.......... I would like to hear some comments about these barrels.

I am going to have a gunsmith do the work. We have one around here that comes highly recommended. So I wouldn't be interested in the EZ type. He has already stated this. He also said it didn't matter which one I buy.

Any guidence would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Both are top-notch and will provide great accuracy if fitted properly.

Just a question -- what's srong with the Springfield barrel? A match bushing or a little fitting might make it shoot good enough and save you the money on the new barrel.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Recommend you PM Bob Brown

Bob Brown, a respected 'smith in this forum, fit a Kart NM barrel and EGW bushing in my SA Mil-Spec. Bob has built (and shoots)bullseye guns for close to 50 years. He tells me that the hardcore BE shooters pretty much use Kart and Bar-Sto exclusively. I couldn't be happier with the hand-fit Kart that Bob installed for me. Send him a PM and get the dialog going.
Regards,
Deke

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Can't comment on Nowlin, although I suspect they are excellent. I have a gunsmith fitted Kart, and it's a great shooter. The Kart barrels are reasonably priced and have quite a good reputation. I wouldn't hesitate to use one again.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd be happy with either- as the others have already written, the Kart barrels are excellent and are used by many BE shooters. The Nowlin also has the distinction of being the barrel of choice of the FBI HRT. One more thing- Kart = Blue, Nowlin = Stainless.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

I did see where Springfield puts the Nowlin barrels in their Professional Model that they sell to the FBI. Interesting.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I do not prefer the Nowlin as the lugs are oversized to be fit at the 12:00 position, which only gives a two point lockup (12:00 and 6:00 at the lower lugs).

Karts and others can be fit up at 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock position giving a three point lockup.

Nowlins can be welded up at the lugs, but why bother?

Otherwise, either barrel is of good quality.

Tim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts