1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to this group. I've a question. Looking to have my 1911 refinished. Which would be the more durable NP-3 or Hardchrome? All opinions welcome.

------------------

G.Anthony Williams

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
DITTO

they use hard chrome on TAPS, drills and it is the finish to beat. It is harder than tool steel, and that is pretty hard

Np3 will show holster wear fairly quickly, not that it is not a good finish, it is just Not hard chrome.

geo ><>

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, I'm wondering about this too. I've got another re-finish job ahead and now I'm thinking hard chrome instead of a "spray and bake" teflon, AmorTuf, or NP-3 , or whatever type of finish. Maybe your thread here will generate more data about who used which finish, by which company, how it worked out, etc

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a Colt series 70 Combat Commander that I had hard-chromed by Accurate Plating,down in Florida.I guess maybe some day it'll get a scratch or show some wear,but I'll probably be dead from old age before then.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have had both:

NP3-beautiful, one of the prettiest finishes I've seen. Loooong turnaroud time, expensive, skip the internals as it will chip off.

Hard chrome-very pretty (I like the warmer look of NP3 better, MUCH more durable than NP3.

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts