1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NP3 vs. Black-T

I am looking at having Teflon finish put on my stainless Springfield and was wondering if anybody could tell me the pros and cons of NP3 versus Black-T. I understand that one is black and the other is grey/silver but beyond that I am unable to find much on them.

I am looking at it from two angles. First is the lubricity that a Teflon finish brings to the pistol. The second is the increased corrosion protection, yes I understand that a stainless pistol is more corrosion resistant to begin with, but I am looking for that extra protection for adverse and humid weather conditions. I know that any good spray on finish will give me the protection on the outside of the pistol, but my interest is in having the added protection in the inside “nooks and crannies” that can not be easily seen like the firing pin channel and the extractor channel.

Does anybody have any experience with either of these on a Stainless pistol?

Does anybody have any pictures of the NP3 next to a stainless pistol so I can get an idea of the difference in looks?

Thanks……..

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
I have a Black T pistol with a checker front strap and all sorts of customizing. It is holding up well, but I also take very good care of it. I have shot a friends 1911 with NP3, he did not have the front strap checkered and the gun felt pretty slippery when my hands got sweaty. As for color, picture grey duct tape.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have Black-T on my SA Pro. It is pretty hardy. I have NP3 on the slide of an XD-40. I like the looks of NP3. My only problem is that it is too slick. But, I plan to leave it on the XD-40. I am hoping that with time, some of the slickness will subside.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
NP3 is very slick..checkering the front strap is a must at least 25 LPI you may also want to get a Heinie magwell installed also.

Having owned guns that sported both finishes mentioned I would talk to both Mr. Birdsong and the folks at Robar with specific needs and questions you have. When your laying down serious $$ for a finish go to the source before you make your decision.

BTW I like both NP3 and Black T IMO they are both GTG....NP3 is a harder finish and gun cleaning is basically a wipe down. I wish NP3 came in Black

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
little birdies

Whispered in my ear: "If you want black there is only Black-T...."

I don't care about the 'color' of my guns, so I sent my all-custom Caspian 1911 to Robar for their proprietary NP3.

It is hard (over 50C).
It is utterly rust-resistant (mine, done in '97/'98? shows zero rust anywhere; it is not well cared for).
It is 'slippery', which I've found makes it leap! from my holsters.
I have this gun's frontstrap checkered at 20LPI, but if it wasn't I'd just stick some grit-tape on it (and, along with my chosen $9 pebbled-rubber Hogue stocks, makes all my 1911s stick in my hands).

So, if you want a black gun sugggest Black-T, but remember, it's a relatively soft coating.
If you want the ultimate in long-term corrosion resistance, with superlative anti-wear characteristics, recommend NP3.

My next finish is gonna be gold-colored......

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had my Baer custom carry done in Black-T. I called to inquire about the finish and Walter Birdsong himself answered the phone. We must have talked for at least 1/2 an hour. What a gentleman. He did the entire pistol(except the inside of the barrel). It is a sharp looking all black finish. He guaranteed the pistol not to rust and if the finish wore down he would refinish it at no charge(other than shipping fees). He states that the finishes lubricity is much higher than any oil or grease and thus does not need to be oiled and by not oiling the pistol you will get less wear. Walter stated that the Black-T finish penetrates into the steel pores and chemically bonds to the steel. Even if the finish wears down the steel will have a grey color and is protectected against rust. To clean the pistol he recommends spraying it down with mineral spirits and then blow dry it, no oil needed afterwards. Its the same coating he uses for the Navy's exterior guns and barrels. Five months into the finish and it shows no wear or rust despite daily carry. Cost was $160.00 which included treatment of 2 mags. Great company to deal with and they were right on with the 6 week turn around period.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts