1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few hours ago the NRA (National Rifle Association) and SAF (Second Amendment Foundation) won a temporary restraining order in federal court against further gun confiscation from law-abiding citizens in New Orleans. The order was issued by Judge Jay Zainey of the United States District Court for the Eastern District in Lousiana after action by the NRA and SAF against defendants including Mayor Ray Nagin and Chief Edwin P. Compass III.

Both the NRA and SAF have pledged to continue their initiative to ensure that all guns seized illegally by the authorities are returned to their owners.

Although GOA (Gun Owners of America) denounced the confiscation on September 9, 2005 it does not seem to have joined in the action for the restraining order and does not seem to have anything about it on its web site.

I've included the announcements from both NRA and SAF below. There was nothing to include from GOA.

Here is the NRA announcement:

Major Victory For Firearms Owners And Freedom In Louisiana

Friday, September 23, 2005




(Fairfax, VA) -- The United States District Court for the Eastern District in Louisiana today sided with the National Rifle Association (NRA) and issued a restraining order to bar further gun confiscations from peaceable and law-abiding victims of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans.

“This is a significant victory for freedom and for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. The court’s ruling is instant relief for the victims who now have an effective means of defending themselves from the robbers and rapists that seek to further exploit the remnants of their shattered lives,” said NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre.

Joining LaPierre in hailing the U.S. District Court decision was NRA chief lobbyist Chris W. Cox. “This is an important victory. But the battle is not over. The NRA will remedy state emergency statutes in all 50 states, if needed, to ensure that this injustice does not happen again."

The controversy erupted when The New York Times reported, the New Orleans superintendent of police directed that no civilians in New Orleans will be allowed to have guns and that “only law enforcement are allowed to have weapons.” ABC News quoted New Orleans’ deputy police chief, saying, “No one will be able to be armed. We are going to take all the weapons.”

The NRA also pledged that it will continue its work to ensure that every single firearm arbitrarily and unlawfully seized under this directive is returned to the rightful law-abiding owner.

Here is the SAF announcement:

FEDERAL JUDGE HALTS NEW ORLEANS GUN SEIZURES

For Immediate Release: 9/23/2005

The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana this afternoon issued a temporary restraining order on behalf of the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) and National Rifle Association (NRA), bringing an end to firearm seizures from citizens living in and around New Orleans.






District Judge Jay Zainey issued the restraining order against all parties named in a lawsuit filed Thursday by SAF and NRA. Defendants in the lawsuit include New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin and Police Chief Edwin Compass III.





“This is a great victory, not just for the NRA and SAF, but primarily for law-abiding gun owners everywhere,” said SAF founder Alan M. Gottlieb. “We are proud to have joined forces with the NRA to put an end to what has amounted to a warrantless gun grab by authorities in New Orleans and surrounding jurisdictions.





“Over the past three weeks,” he continued, “residents who had lost virtually everything in the devastation following Hurricane Katrina had also essentially been stripped of something even more precious, their civil rights, and their right of self-defense, because of these gun seizures.





“SAF and NRA had no alternative but to take action,” Gottlieb added. “If these gun confiscations had been allowed to continue without challenge, it would have set a dangerous precedent that would have encouraged authorities in other jurisdictions to believe they also could suspend the civil rights of citizens in the event of some other emergency.





“What must happen now, and quickly,” said Gottlieb, “is for authorities in the New Orleans area to explain how they will return all of those firearms to their rightful owners, and do it promptly. What this ruling affirms is that even in the face of great natural disasters, governments cannot arbitrarily deprive citizens of their rights. Thanks to some great teamwork between SAF and the NRA, this sort of thing will hopefully never happen again.”

The Second Amendment Foundation is the nation’s oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 600,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control. SAF has previously funded successful firearms-related suits against the cities of Los Angeles; New Haven, CT; and San Francisco on behalf of American gun owners, a lawsuit against the cities suing gun makers & an amicus brief & fund for the Emerson case holding the Second Amendment as an individual right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
653 Posts
It's nice to know there is some justice left out there. This happened pretty quick too... I was afraid this issue was going to get ugly. I just hope all those poor souls who had their firearms essentially stolen from them can get them back promptly and without damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,033 Posts
Now what needs to happen is for a resident (or class action group) who's had their guns confiscated, and suffered looting or physical attacks subsequent to that, to file both civil AND criminal charges against the Mayor and Chief. Something along the lines of reckless endangerment, criminal negligence, whatever they can make a case for. THAT'S the precident that needs to be set here!
Mac
 

·
Hold my beer & watch this
Joined
·
5,570 Posts
Hmm,that didn't make any of the headlines around here...I'm glad to see the NRA got that done so quickly though. Now let's see if those folks get their firearms back. Over on THR there's a post saying that the NRA's putting together a list of people who had their guns confiscated.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top