1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Couple of things?
First, this thread is intended to be about the board election coming up.
It is NOT about all that ails the NRA.
Please.

2021 ballots are in the June/July issue of American Rifleman.

Ballots must be RECEIVED by August 25th, so mail early.

There are 28 candidates listed for 25 positions.
I don't know anything about any of them - other than that they are on the ballot.

So I'd like to discuss this - who knows what about whom?
Who would be a good choice?
If any?

Who is a bad choice?
And why?

On the back of the ballot there is a place for a write-in vote.

I've about decided that I want to write in Frank Tait - just because the board doesn't seem to want him.
But I would be amenable to suggestions about that - positive or negative.

SO?
updated

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Voting members -

To be eligible to vote you must be:

An NRA member for 5 contiguous years and currently paid up.

OR (Implied, though not stated - mia cupla)

Life member, or higher.

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and...

Frank Tait
Frank Tait's web page

I'm the Benefactor Life member and NRA Training Counselor that stood up at the 2019 NRAAM and put my name of the resolution calling out the improprieties that are not being addressed by the board and expressing No Confidence in the Audit, Executive and Finance committees of the board for their oversight and governance of the organization.

To get the oversight that we are entitled to, we need new board members that are committed to being focused on our members, and our second amendment rights.

I am running on the agenda of protecting ALL of our second amendment rights and the positions outlined by Save the Second with these objectives:

Reduce the size of the board to a manageable level;
Term limits for board members;
Require minimum attendance at board meetings;
Exercising appropriate oversight of management;
Refocus on LISTENING to the membership; and,
Get back to our roots of firearms training and education.
In particular members need to send the message that Carolyn Meadows, the NRA President who admitted that she shredded and burned her notes so that they would not be available, should not be re-elected.

I understand that Rocky Marshall is also running as a write in. In his short time on the Board, he has stepped up and asked the tough questions that Directors should. He deserves your support.

I ask that you please write me and Rocky in on the ballot for the 2021 board of directors election when you get you ballot in the next couple of weeks. It is in the June/July issue of your NRA magazine.

Dillon Blue Press highlighted my positions. - They are the picture on the left.

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
They both will get my vote when my ballot is sent in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
Being a life member since the mid-late 1970s, was yearly before that and paid enough dues to be a life member so I joined as a life member, The only three I would support are Don Bradway (#4) and Craig Swartz #22. #15 C. Meadows got the board all hot and bothered, that to me is the gold metal of needing to get reelected!

If you do vote, vote ONLY for the ones YOU think will do a good job! Sure you CAN vote for 25 of them, most of the ones on there I know/know of, I might not walk across the street to spit on if they were on fire (unless I had a mouth full of gas). Why? Go look up their record of supporting guns, fighting anti-gun legislation, supporting the Constitution, what they do, compared to what they say. You will also note that a LOT of industry insiders and actual movers and shakers got out, either forced (most common) out or couldn't stomach the BS (close second). We need 25 PRO-gun people, not 25 rubber stamps which most of the names here are.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I don't know the candidates, but some of the names look familiar.

Buzz Mills I believe, owns Gunsite.
Kim Rhode is an Olympic shotgunner
There's an actor named Dean Cain, but I don't know if this is he.
Ronnie Barrett owns Barret Firearms

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Couple of things?
First, this thread is intended to be about the board election coming up.
It is NOT about all that ails the NRA.
I don't know anything about any of them - other than that they are on the ballot.

So I'd like to discuss this - who knows what about whom?
Who would be a good choice?
If any?

Who is a bad choice?
And why?

On the back of the ballot there is a place for a write-in vote.

I've about decided that I want to write in Frank Tait - just because the board doesn't seem to want him.
But I would be amenable to suggestions about that - positive or negative.

SO?
2 -3 weeks ago, l responded about another candidate, Ronnie Barrett, before you even asked (who? me?!?):

NRA Elections

In that earlier thread on this topic, I mentioned that there's one celebrity candidate who has shown a clear willingness to make sacrifices for his pro-2A stance: that is Dean Cain. Falling down on this job, I haven't looked into him in detail; but from what I know now, I'd say he's a likely candidate.

Another I'd strongly consider is yet another celebrity: Kim Rhode. In her case, a shooting celebrity. I don't know how one could go wrong with her ... which doesn't mean it couldn't be done.

Last, one for whom I have considerable confidence in the candidate's background: Carrie Lightfoot. She is a 2A textbook example.

NRA "leadership" (sorry O.P.'er) likes the celebs; but, as we've recently seen, doesn't always find the celebs controllable.

My practice is to vote for <=3 candidates. If deeper research leads me to eliminate more than one of the above, I'll be looking into some of the others.

Reactions: cavelamb

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
I don't know the candidates, but some of the names look familiar.

Buzz Mills I believe, owns Gunsite.
Kim Rhode is an Olympic shotgunner
There's an actor named Dean Cain, but I don't know if this is he.
Ronnie Barrett owns Barret Firearms
The candidate Dean Cain is the actor/director/producer: it's in his bio in election materials.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Eligible voters, be cautious of referring to candidates by listing number. Printed ballots (per ballot voting instructions) contain 5 different rotation of names on ballots. The magazine published list was in alpha order, the ballots are not, they are mixed 5 different ways. Write in voting provided on the back. Not complicated, just pay attention to what you are doing. I suspect (I’m only guessing) if you fail the math part (vote for too many folks) your ballot will not be counted. Our get it there deadline is 15 August.

·
Super Moderator
15,310 Posts
I think Ronnie Barrett is a good choice, don't know most of the others.

Reactions: tgt_usa

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I've been a life member for umpteen million years so I have been voting for a long time. What I do every election
is read/skim every biography, all 28. There are certain things that I look for.
I look to see if any are in Congress or their state legislature. My logic is that they will support gun legislation.
warrants a vote.
Then, I look for ones that have military experience. I use my common sense for which ones to pick in that category such as rank, awards received, etc. I rarely pick all who have experience in the military, usually a couple or so.
I then look at in which state they reside. I don't want to vote for 10 or so that reside in California for example. All things being equal, I will vote for the ones residing in RED states. This is not a main criteria for me. I may be marking more blue state candidates than red.
One of the important things is that I mark the ballot as I go. I don't wait until I have 25 or whatever number I want to vote for picked. For example, I saw Ronnie Barrett and I immediately marked the ballot for him. He is a no brainer for me for many reasons. Keep in mind, though, that once you mark the ballot that it is almost impossible to make a change. This keeps me from arguing with myself, taking ten hours to do it, etc.
There are other factors that I use but I won't mention them because they are minor things. In all, my process of picking them takes about an hour and a half
I am not writing this to argue my voting method. I am writing this to tell everyone how I pick them.
I hope that it helps someone.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
What a joke! Under current structure and leadership we could pick 25 howler monkeys at random from the zoo. Likely be just as effective and impactful. Only when the money stops flowing will change be possible.

·
Premium Member
5,781 Posts
Got my magazine but have not had time to take a look at it. I’ll have to at least pull it out to get the ballot. As the saying goes “you can’t complain, if you didn’t vote”.

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
Voting members -

To be eligible to vote you must be:

An NRA member for 5 contiguous years and currently paid up.

Life member, or higher.
Is this same as saying "Life Member for 5yrs or more"

I think anyone who has maintained membership for 5+ contiguous years should be able to vote. I have been a member for many years, just not a Life Member. Yeah, I pay more, but doesn't that help NRA more?

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
... when the money stops flowing will change be possible.
True, when the money stops flowing, change will not only be possible, it will happen: effectively no resistance to gun control plans; we'll get a lot of that. Also true "... current structure and leadership ..." has tried to make the BoD a rubber-stamp body. But this year, I think we can organically change NRA structure and leadership at the annual meeting. There will be 10s of thousands of NRA members there, at varying degrees of disgust, disappointment, anger and outrage over revelations (whether truthful or not) of long-standing misfeasance and malfeasance of NRA "leadership". In the face of those people, even "tamed" BoD members may decide WLP is a lost cause. My plan is to make a lot of noise in person: make a "normal" meeting not possible; a floor revolt. That's how we can get NRA cleaned up fast enough to be effective [again] to be a useful barrier against the statist's plans to dismantle personal liberty. A better idea would be most welcome.

At the O.P.'er's request, I'll not go into the reasons for all of this.

Reactions: cavelamb

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Is this same as saying "Life Member for 5yrs or more"

I think anyone who has maintained membership for 5+ contiguous years should be able to vote. I have been a member for many years, just not a Life Member. Yeah, I pay more, but doesn't that help NRA more?
No, there's an implicit "or" in there: Life Membership OR 5+ contiguous years of annual membership.

e.g.:
- Annual, five years or more: 1993 - 1996, 2008 - 2011 and 2020 - 2021 is more than five years and does not qualify. Not currently a member for five years back-to-back.

- Annual, five+ contiguous years: 2014 - 2021 does qualify because the years are contiguous, one after another, and current.

- Life member: instant qualification for the next election.*

*- If you got a Life now, after ballots have already been sent, not sure how you'd get a ballot; but expect - hope it can be done. My first ballot came the Winter after I got my Life membership.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
True, when the money stops flowing, change will not only be possible, it will happen: effectively no resistance to gun control plans; we'll get a lot of that. Also true "... current structure and leadership ..." has tried to make the BoD a rubber-stamp body. But this year, I think we can organically change NRA structure and leadership at the annual meeting. There will be 10s of thousands of NRA members there, at varying degrees of disgust, disappointment, anger and outrage over revelations (whether truthful or not) of long-standing misfeasance and malfeasance of NRA "leadership". In the face of those people, even "tamed" BoD members may decide WLP is a lost cause. My plan is to make a lot of noise in person: make a "normal" meeting not possible; a floor revolt. That's how we can get NRA cleaned up fast enough to be effective [again] to be a useful barrier against the statist's plans to dismantle personal liberty. A better idea would be most welcome.

At the O.P.'s request, I'll not go into the reasons for all of this.
I hope you are right

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I’m faced with the same dilemma, and an election that will seat 25 of the 28 candidates isn’t much of an election.

I don’t know, maybe I’ll just vote for Barrett.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts