1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
If it was in Nashville, like it should have been last year, I would go and perhaps my daughter also. Being in Houston, it is just too far of a drive. Dallas, maybe but not Houston.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
I've about decided that I want to write in Frank Tait - just because the board doesn't seem to want him.
But I would be amenable to suggestions about that - positive or negative.
To the plan to write-in Frank Tait:
After sleeping on it, I'm liking it more. Originally I thought Frank Tait must be limited in imagination in order to fail to filter his signatures for eligible voting members. That is still clearly true. But that only means he wasn't capable of running successfully; doesn't necessarily mean he could not do a good job serving. 40,000 votes for Frank Tait might put a shiver up the spines of enough of the NRA leadership to make a difference.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
If it was in Nashville, like it should have been last year, I would go and perhaps my daughter also. Being in Houston, it is just too far of a drive. Dallas, maybe but not Houston.
You get to Dallas, I'll meet you and take you from there and back.

WARNING: I stay 'til the last dog dies.

Reactions: cavelamb

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
True, when the money stops flowing, change will not only be possible, it will happen: effectively no resistance to gun control plans; we'll get a lot of that. Also true "... current structure and leadership ..." has tried to make the BoD a rubber-stamp body. But this year, I think we can organically change NRA structure and leadership at the annual meeting. There will be 10s of thousands of NRA members there, at varying degrees of disgust, disappointment, anger and outrage over revelations (whether truthful or not) of long-standing misfeasance and malfeasance of NRA "leadership". In the face of those people, even "tamed" BoD members may decide WLP is a lost cause. My plan is to make a lot of noise in person: make a "normal" meeting not possible; a floor revolt. That's how we can get NRA cleaned up fast enough to be effective [again] to be a useful barrier against the statist's plans to dismantle personal liberty. A better idea would be most welcome.

At the O.P.'er's request, I'll not go into the reasons for all of this.
Appreciated.

Perhaps we should have bright red 1911 Forum armbands made up so we can find ourselves?

(edit)
Or better yet? A 1911 forum table?
How to go about contacting sponsors about that?
tgt_usa?

If you are planning on going to Houston, would you PM me?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I u
Couple of things?
First, this thread is intended to be about the board election coming up.
It is NOT about all that ails the NRA.
Please.

2021 ballots are in the June/July issue of American Rifleman.

Ballots must be RECEIVED by August 25th, so mail early.

There are 28 candidates listed for 25 positions.
I don't know anything about any of them - other than that they are on the ballot.

So I'd like to discuss this - who knows what about whom?
Who would be a good choice?
If any?

Who is a bad choice?
And why?

On the back of the ballot there is a place for a write-in vote.

I've about decided that I want to write in Frank Tait - just because the board doesn't seem to want him.
But I would be amenable to suggestions about that - positive or negative.

SO?

View attachment 612920
The members to vote for James Wallace, Newburyport, MA. He fights hard for us at Gun Owners Action League in MA against the many looney libs we have here. Unfortunately for this state it's pretty much a loosing cause but he remains upbeat and steadfast. I met him personally once at a Division of Fisheries & Wildlife meeting as Nd he's a great guy. Please consider him for your vote - we can use as much help as possible.

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Reloader mentioned Owen Buz Mills.

The name rang some steels, so I looked around some and found this for 2017.
So I colored him green!

Call to Arms on Gunsite

Refer back to post #1
Candidates you like are green.
Candidates that are NOT liked will be red.

And I need to collect information on the write-in suggestions.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Appreciated.

Perhaps we should have bright red 1911 Forum armbands made up so we can find ourselves?

(edit)
Or better yet? A 1911 forum table?
How to go about contacting sponsors about that?
tgt_usa?

If you are planning on going to Houston, would you PM me?
Here:

... is the list of sponsors. Real Soon Now, I'll look it over for sponsors with whom I've had some kind of personal, mutually satisfactory, contact AND / OR personal acquaintance. If everybody does that, we'd have a large-ish list we could contact. As far as I've thought this out, we ought to get a bite by the 2nd call, 5th at worst: acting as a message center / rendezvous point reads to me as very little burden and quite considerable opportunity.

ed. The list appears to be out-of-date. Some sponsors that have not posted for years and at least one recent sponsor not listed (CameraLandNY).

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
No, there's an implicit "or" in there: Life Membership OR 5+ contiguous years of annual membership.

e.g.:
- Annual, five years or more: 1993 - 1996, 2008 - 2011 and 2020 - 2021 is more than five years and does not qualify. Not currently a member for five years back-to-back.

- Annual, five+ contiguous years: 2014 - 2021 does qualify because the years are contiguous, one after another, and current.

- Life member: instant qualification for the next election.*

*- If you got a Life now, after ballots have already been sent, not sure how you'd get a ballot; but expect - hope it can be done. My first ballot came the Winter after I got my Life membership.
Implicit 'or' ??
I never received any voting ballot, was not in any NRA publication I receive.
I'll need to inquire with NRA.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Implicit 'or' ??
I never received any voting ballot, was not in any NRA publication I receive.
I'll need to inquire with NRA.
The "or" that I made explicit in the response to your question: "Life membership OR ...."

In the post that you quoted, the two alternative means of eligibility were on separate lines; the separate lines intended as an implicit "or". BTW. If you look at that post now, the "or" is ... explicit.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Reloader mentioned Owen Buz Mills.

The name rang some steels, so I looked around some and found this for 2017.
So I colored him green!

Call to Arms on Gunsite

Refer back to post #1
Candidates you like are green.
Candidates that are NOT liked will be red.

And I need to collect information on the write-in suggestions.
Mr. Mills just went on my short list.

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
This has been interesting..

I really thought there would be a lot more voting members on the forum.

·
Super Moderator
15,239 Posts
This has been interesting..

I really thought there would be a lot more voting members on the forum.
Remember, not everyone responds in these threads. Probably a lot more members voting than are responding.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Thanks for this thread and its discussion. I want to cause something to happen through voting for change, but it's hard to get a feel for candidates through the narratives in the magazine insert.

The NRA's management needs more accountability to members and less good-ol'-boy mutual back slapping. We've gone down this road before a time or two in my lifetime and it's become annoying. We need an more effective NRA for sure.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Well, reckon I'll opine.....
The NRA needs change from within if it's to survive - and we need for it to survive. So, how, prey tell, do we change it from within if we send back any of the same people who have been there, silent and ineffective, for the most part, throughout this entire fiasco? I, personally, am voting for Frank - the incumbents are out, and jury is out on the others (suspect by virtue of being nominated by the committee anyway). I will not be complicit in giving the NRA back to those who have allowed what has transpired. Hey, some of them may be good folks, and some might actually want to see things fixed. The problem is that by being quiet and impotent, they have lost my confidence - and I'm not alone. So, when a loss of confidence happens, you wipe the slate clean. Frank has stood up and said what needed to be said, particularly by stepping up and being one of the parties intervening the NY case.

We should've had a grass-roots movement to write in our slate of candidates, not what the committee has decreed. We'll see where this goes but the old adage holds: garbage in-garbage out. This is the same problem we face in DC. We demand change, yet send the same fools back over and over again. Actually, in this scenario we should ask: just who really are the 'fools' - them or us?

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Well, reckon I'll opine.....
The NRA needs change from within if it's to survive - and we need for it to survive. So, how, prey tell, do we change it from within if we send back any of the same people who have been there, silent and ineffective, for the most part, throughout this entire fiasco? I, personally, am voting for Frank -
Actually, in this scenario we should ask: just who really are the 'fools' - them or us?
Respectable opinion.

BUT

Not voting for an incumbent does not remove them - unless someone else is elected in their place.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Respectable opinion.

BUT

Not voting for an incumbent does not remove them - unless someone else is elected in their place.
You're right, it doesn't remove them, but I'm just not voting for them. We're not compelled to vote for the full slate. We can vote for just 1, 5, or 10, or just write somebody in. As I said, I won't be complicit in rewarding any incumbent with my vote. I wish we had initiated an official write-in campaign across the country, with folks we could all back, but that boat sailed.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Had to slow down on this a bit .... We have a bunch of family visiting and expecting Sweetie Pea's 2nd baby at any hour ... O.B. predicted late July "... but it's pretty big ...", so I said "Early July." Baby's maternal-paternal-maternal, great-grandmother and a paternal-??? great-grandmother were born on Independence Day. Maternal grandfather born on Bill of Rights Day. So it's a bit of family tradition. She'd prefer it sooner ... but what's another 24.17hrs?*

*- Please don't tell her I wrote that ... she's kind of glowingly irritable right now.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
If you are a paid Life Member, write (must be USPS letter) and request a copy of the By-Laws. This is the only way to get a copy. Then read the document. Remember, this document is what controls the NRA, not 1/3 of the BOD.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Okay, back. Sweetie Pea had an episode of false labor, just about when we opti-misseds thought she was due. She looked very well, but not immediately due, to my eye. Only God knows now when she'll deliver ... so we may as well resume.

Tomorrow, I'll research candidates and fill out my ballot ... make sure the Kid does at least one vote.

Meeting at the meeting: I'll also start talking to some of the people with tables, see if we can use a table as a message drop. Rather not as a rendezvous, as events may turn out such that would be inconsiderate. But I can be convinced otherwise.

·
Premium Member
5,184 Posts
Okay, back. Sweetie Pea had an episode of false labor, just about when we opti-misseds thought she was due. She looked very well, but not immediately due, to my eye. Only God knows now when she'll deliver ... so we may as well resume.

Tomorrow, I'll research candidates and fill out my ballot ... make sure the Kid does at least one vote.

Meeting at the meeting: I'll also start talking to some of the people with tables, see if we can use a table as a message drop. Rather not as a rendezvous, as events may turn out such that would be inconsiderate. But I can be convinced otherwise.
sigh ... even not predicting, I got it wrong: 2nd grandchild born this morning. The Mrs. just this minute advised me, along with video of an exceptionally alert, clearly intelligent and particularly good-looking baby boy (much like his 1 1/2yr-old brother). Taking a bit of credit for the timing due to the big supper I fed Sweetie Pea on Tue. That could help move events along, right? right?

The Mrs. hasn't told me what to decide about visiting them. So may not much affect plans for today ... could just as well not have written this post ... yeah, right, like that was gonna happen.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts