1911Forum banner
101 - 120 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
25,598 Posts
We never really did much of the secret type of stuff. So we usually just paid the appropriate bribe and that was the end of it.

·
Premium Member
6,303 Posts
Had I been presented with that kind of role, I would have declined.

There's something about a chainsaw ...

As well as having one hand unavailable for SD, even before the chainsaw.
Last chained-to-briefcase occasion, IIRC, was during Desert Shield ... I wasn't gonna say "No." then. Last foreign TDY was shortly after the death of Kim Il Song / ascention to the throne of Kim Yung Il. No briefcase IIRC; just some items from which not to be separated.

Anybody approaching with a chainsaw, even a catling, and I'd've been in the Red Zone.

... and you must be kidding about one hand for SD, right? With a heavy mace openly carried in one hand ... plenty of room for both hands on just that one weapon ... but almost always another opening shot weapon in the other hand.

Reactions: chrysanthemum

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
We need at least one active thread to discuss the NRA case. Close this if you must, but we still need one. My other thread didn't gain much traction, for whatever reason, so perhaps we can continue there? I find it disheartening that so few NRA members are aware of what's been going on for the last year+. I find it hard to reconcile how many folks claim to be hard-core pro-2A, and pro-freedom, and pro-etc., etc., yet, for something that matters as much as this...... crickets, for the most part.

All of the anti-WLP sentiment, while valid, is irrelevant when it comes down to it. This is bigger than WLP. Whichever way this NRA thing goes, there will be consequences, so it's best if we're as informed as we can be.

·
Super Moderator
15,603 Posts
havanajim - the thread will stay open IF everyone gets back on topic.

·
Registered
25,598 Posts
We need at least one active thread to discuss the NRA case. Close this if you must, but we still need one. My other thread didn't gain much traction, for whatever reason, so perhaps we can continue there? I find it disheartening that so few NRA members are aware of what's been going on for the last year+. I find it hard to reconcile how many folks claim to be hard-core pro-2A, and pro-freedom, and pro-etc., etc., yet, for something that matters as much as this...... crickets, for the most part.

All of the anti-WLP sentiment, while valid, is irrelevant when it comes down to it. This is bigger than WLP. Whichever way this NRA thing goes, there will be consequences, so it's best if we're as informed as we can be.

I think I am pretty much on the correct page here. At least insofar as how I see things. But truth be told I know that I am doing so, and I think that a lot of other people may be doing so as well. That being, just trying to figure things out in terms of do I stick with the NRA at this point and hope that things will work themselves out in the end? Or do I bail? I do not think that anyone can deny that there is for lack a of a better term a lot of bad JuJu coming from that direction. Good, bad or otherwise, it is pretty hard to ignore.

At the same time there are a lot of people that have invested a lot of money in the NRA for many years, myself included. We are looking for clarity. They badly need to provide this to us. And I think that they are coming up short in this regard. If I have to part ways with them, I will do so but with great trepidation. It is difficult for me not to see malevolent forces at work here pushing this as hard as they can for obvious reasons.

And certainly it is best that we're as informed as we can be. I think that this is an important discussion that should likely continue for the benefit of all of us. Please stay focused people, and more importantly try to contribute with substantive posts that will benefit all of us. Rhetoric has it's place. Wisdom, real knowledge and insight have generally proven to be much more valuable over time. Just sayin

·
Premium Member
6,303 Posts
The structural problem with NRA has been described in this thread and previously:

- leadership was made effectively unanswerable to membership
This took a while to become a practical problem, for the same reason it's now a horrible problem: deliberately engineered low turn-over in leadership (BoD).

- entrenched "leadership" exploiting and re-enforcing the structural defect

- too much influence / power invested in the EVP post

Creating the opening for NYS to attack was an unforced error. When 1st becoming aware of the NRA CCW insurance program, I presumed NRA had done everything required by statute .... and still thought it a bad idea. Bound to trend toward a monopoly with NRA's huge sales-lead generation system. And it was also an egregious example of competing against the customer: the existing CCW-insurance companies, e.g. "US Law Shield, bought advertizing from NRA ... but NRA competes against them?!? Big business takes such things seriously and tries to avoid the pitfalls. NRA jumped into the pit.

My own ox was gored when NRA cut instructors out of revenue with the "mixed mode" instruction model for introductory shooting classes. To many instructors, myself included, that was too dangerous: to 1st see if a student understood what they'd supposedly been taught on-line ... on the line?!? That's what made clear to me that leadership had lost it. This action is comparable to cutting sales commissions by 1/2 AND ordering salespeople into dangerous neighborhoods at night. It's the instructors who create your market ... but you cut them out of revenue and also create a higher risk environment? How could anybody think this was a good idea? That scheme collapsed of its own ineptitude ... 10mos too late.

Alienating members would seem to play into the antis hands ... and it does.

All this, yet still without NRA there's no focus that matters for firearm owners to peacefully wield political clout.

Reactions: Crab Boy

·
Registered
119 Posts
Wayne has to go. And the NRA has to install a real honest to god board of directors with REAL oversight. Not one more damn dime of my money until this happens.
Politics feed upon itself. The only solution is for the NRA to put a cap on the number of years that directors can serve on the board, There has to be a constant stream of new blood with fresh ideas. Speaking from experience!

·
Premium Member
6,303 Posts
Politics feed upon itself. The only solution is for the NRA to put a cap on the number of years that directors can serve on the board, There has to be a constant stream of new blood with fresh ideas. Speaking from experience!
Not a director: exactly. There's a role for long-term positions ... they need to be staff ... tiny budgets, no authority outside their small department - strictly advisory. The role of a person that says ...

- Yeah, we tried that in 2023 and here's what went wrong with it .<wah wah wah> ... And my advice is those problems would still need solved to try it again.

OR

- No ... we haven't tried that in all my years ... nor in what my predecessor wrote about his. I'll write up a evaluation for your consideration.

... like that can be long-term.

NOT the guy who says:

- Okay, here's who gets to be on the ballot.

- Here's who to hire for the new construction project.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Do any of you want to be the lightning rod for the NRA? How much money and luxury would we have to afford you to take that job and do it well? I don't know Wayne, but I do know that he's politically-connected and battle-hardened by now.

I keep seeing celebrity names thrown out for replacements for Wayne. Believe me when I say, we want the opposite of celebrity. Look what they did to Chuck Heston - a lifelong champion for Civil Rights.

I'm open to suggestions, but I've seen no good ones.

·
Registered
839 Posts
And here's another thing...someone made a good point about overalls. I wear worn-out t-shirts and flip-flops most days. The NRA employs some of the best lobbyists on the planet, and we expect the best results. As long they preserve my rights, I don't give a sht what they spend on toilet seats, or pens, or suits, or houses. If they under-perform, there will be changes.

I believe our representatives should be well-healed and taken care of. Sun Tzu tells us to pay our spies well and to pay our lobbyists even better :)

·
Premium Member
2,538 Posts
And what's even more hypocritical is that Wayne doesn't (at least I haven't heard about it yet?) go out and get a $500 hair-doo in the middle of the pandemic, all the while forbidding everyone else to do so.

Besides, what did we we actually get for (taxpayer funded) $1,000? Nancy and Lori (and there was another one who got a covid hair cut, I think?) are still butt ugly.

Sent from my K00C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Butthead and Ether, respectfully, that’s exactly the problem. Once a person who professes to speak for us convinces us no amount of obvious misdeeds is excusable because of their position, we’re simply being manipulated.

Challenge yourself to stay conversationally focused on Wayne without any reference to others in politics you dislike. Failing to do so is exactly how he has become a disease to the NRA.

I would offer you this polite challenge: when is the last time you’ve seen him say or write anything that wasn’t simply a high school composition level rehashing of the same things he’s been saying his entire career? A time he hasn’t fallen on the same old tropes that can fit on a bumper sticker?

He’s an actor. He could just as easily be a lobbyist for the corn industry. He’s not one of us and never has been one of us. Every time someone who actually is one of us finds themselves in a position to challenge his leadership, that person loses. Why? Because the entire structure of the NRA has been reformatted around sustaining his leadership and shockingly transparent worship of personal use of membership money. He can get away with being a bloviated pig with our money because we let him.

I joined the NRA in 8th grade with paper route money. Don’t bother flaming me as not being concerned about gun rights or conservation. I don’t like talking about politics on forums as people tend to become brutal with the way they speak to one another, so I’m reluctant here. Maybe it’s age. I hope this can stay civil.

I’m asking you to give yourself permission to look at him with fresh eyes. He’s a crook and an embarrassment to what the NRA once was.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
With all this controversy if he had any character he would step down instead of being booted. But that's what $$$$$ and power do. Sound familied? Close to home?

·
Premium Member
6,303 Posts
WLP's clothing budget and salary are distant concerns to me. Far more than WLP, I'm concerned that NRA be restructured so that NRA leadership is not self-perpetuating as it now is. Pay doesn't matter [ much ] to me if the amount is arrived at by a freely, fairly elected BoD, or some such member-responsive decision-making element of the organization. What does matter is that the elections are currently structured to prevent member responsiveness. In '21, the BoD ballots had 28 candidates for 25 seats; 3yr seats. >=96% retention. Who chooses the 28 candidates? previous winners. A recipe for the status quo and for massive corruption resulting in existential threat.

In '21, they re-sched'd the annual meeting by 6mos from normal. On 10days notice cancelled it. Then on no notice held it nearly secretly at a different time and place. I've been a "Life" member in various flavors for >25yrs. No notice. The crooks among those running NRA cannot expect to hold on for long now ... not realistically. Maneuvers above cannot be repeated many times.

Reactions: Crab Boy

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Well, aside from all the bloviated claims,... it seems to me, that the demcrat/marxist/globalists want him gone, because they believe it will be the beginning, of the end, for the NRA!

And,... I have a tendency to believe them!

Sometimes, one should be careful, what one asks for!

🤔

·
Registered
839 Posts
How is it possible that Wayne has maintained his position for so many years? Through all this cancel-culture?

It's because the media can't find a God-damned thing to hang him with, aside from his expenses. And wow have they tried. You go out there and find me a shinier candidate that can actually do the job for any length of time, and we'll talk.

101 - 120 of 163 Posts