1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Next weekend I am going for my NRA handgun instructor certification. What does this course actually consist of? I hear it is both classroom and range time.

edit: sorry for posting in the wrong forum.

·
Super Moderator
13,839 Posts
The one I took lasted two days, approx. 16 hrs, mostly classroom work, an hour or so on the range. Also must pass a written test. If you can walk and chew gum, you'll pass the test.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi

I currently hold six instructor certificates as shown in my signature block. I also hold an NRA / US Shooting Smallbore Coach's Certification. 4-H tests are pretty easy, but the NRA's have at least one tricky / badly worded question. READ the questions carefully, and you'll be fine. The coaching courses are the best ones to take to learn to shoot. The instructor courses are just that, someone who passes that class can safely shoot without hurting themselves. They also may not be able to hit a target.

One test taking skill reccommended from the ACT tests my son took recently is to figure out which answers AREN'T right.

Good luck and have fun.

Mike

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
1961MJS said:
Hi

I currently hold six instructor certificates as shown in my signature block. I also hold an NRA / US Shooting Smallbore Coach's Certification. 4-H tests are pretty easy, but the NRA's have at least one tricky / badly worded question. READ the questions carefully, and you'll be fine. The coaching courses are the best ones to take to learn to shoot. The instructor courses are just that, someone who passes that class can safely shoot without hurting themselves. They also may not be able to hit a target.

One test taking skill reccommended from the ACT tests my son took recently is to figure out which answers AREN'T right.

Good luck and have fun.

Mike
I've heard that the NRA Instructor certificate has a limited duration, needs to be renewed annually, and requires the holder to teach a certain number of classes each year for renewal. Is that true? And, if so, does one have to take and pass the exam each time?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi

You have to sign up every year, but you can pay in advance. You are supposed to teach every year, but they're pretty easy going on that. If you want to learn how to shoot, the Coach's course is much better, and allows you to teach the NRA basic courses. With the instructor's course, you learn how to teach people to shoot safely. With the coach's course, you learn how to teach people to SHOOT as in the Olympics. Coach's class takes most of 3 days, and is VERY detailed. I need to send in a few pages on classes we've been teaching....

Mike

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Thank you for the fast response: 28 minutes! I like the idea of helping people learn to shoot safely. It's a way to give something back. I've done some of it informally for years (as have most of us, I'd bet) but maybe I could and should do more.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Hi

After you get your cert, go and sign up as a Rifle Merit Badge instructor for Boy Scouts. The now require NRA Cert to teach the merit badge. You get a pretty much baited field.....

Mike
Wichita KS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.