1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been very pleased with the resurgance of interest in Colts with the introduction of the NRM guns as well as the new S70 guns. I really like my ORM 1991 and like the matte stainless finish it has. However, the finish on my NRM Government (soon to be adding a second one) and NRM Commander are superior in every way. And while I realize that a tight fit between the frame and slide is not necessary for accuracy, Both my NRM guns have a frame to slide fit that is equivalent of my Kimber.

IMHO, no one has rollmarks that is any where near as appealing as those of Colt, and the NRM and XSE guns continue that legacy nicely. And that played a part in my decision to buy a second XSE (still paying it off) and have it customized, rather than buy one of the semi-custom/limited production offerings. And on that note, it seems most gunsmiths still prefer to start with a Colt as a basis for a custom project.

I wish Colt the best of luck and hope that they once again return to the top, but they already have IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,526 Posts
I just bought a Lighweight Commander, as that's what "I really wanted", but find that I still want a NRM . . . anything. A buddy has both new S70 and NRM Gov't Model, and they are just beautiful. Someone posted a pic of a chromed NRM Commander, with some nice, retrained custom touches. Must . . . have . . . NRM . . . Colt . . .

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
I agree that Colt rollmarks are THE BEST! I love the looks of them, BUT, the right side of the slide on the 1991's where "SERIES 80" appears does look a little tacky...

Mark... any thoughts to redesigning the words/rollmark appearance on the right side of the 1991's??? What about replacing the words "SERIES 80" with "Government Model" or something like that on the right side of the 5" Government models with similar changes for Commanders?

·
Registered
589 Posts
And while your redesigning rollmarks,

get rid of the Mk IV on the new series 70s. Nobody knows what it means, so why advertise unknown nonsense.

Not to seriously knock the new series 70, because I think they are good looking. They would be better looking without that, however.

Hankster

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd love to see the XSE rollmark on the New S70s.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
The left rollmark on my SS70 is so light you can barely read it (even before I bead blasted it), while the ungodly heavy "Government Model" on the right looks like it was chisled in!

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
AZ... you're so right... regardless of how beautiful the rollmark itself is, if it's applied inconsistently that really looks bad. One of my Special Combat Government models (hard chrome) has a few letters in Special Combat which are hardly even readable... that definitely sucks.

You have to wonder why the rollmarks are so amazingly inconsistent on Colts.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Despite some difficulties do to the U.S. Postal Service, I finally got my 2nd NRM Blue Govt. I found a NRM Govt here in MD, but it was used and a bit over priced IMHO, but thanks to our very own Firearms Plus (thanks for your patience), I was able to get a NRM Govt at a very reasonable price. My 1st NRM Govt has the matte frame and polished slide and will be used as a base for a custom gun. However, the 2nd NRM Govt. has the polished frame and slide and intend to leave this gun as is.

·
Registered
358 Posts
How about that...I had a couple of New Roll Marks and didn't even know it. But now that I know what they are I'M GONNA GIT ME ANUTHER ONE....YEE HA!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts