1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase my first 1911 I have narrowed down to these SA mil-spec or the SA Loaded here are my questions..I know I will want to customize the mil spec after a while but I have a buddy that can get most everything I need (parts) for cost but since this is my first 1911 I thought I might be better off just buying the loaded. All suggestions/opinions welcome I'm a nube!!

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hey Smokey welcome to the forum. I will say the the mil spec is nice but IMO (In MY Opinion) buy the loaded, and save lots of time and headaches later. I know some people like to build their own guns, that is cool too. I have a old friend that built his 1911, cost him more in parts, ruined parts, and a trip to a gunsmith. IMO buy the loaded, have all the work done already and the whole gun is waranted for life, alter a gun and watch the warranty go poof. IMO buy the loaded you will not be dissapointed. And, we wants pictures, we love pictures.

Roy

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
If you have deep pockets, get the MilSpec, and build it the way you like it. My Springers have 20lpi frontstrap checkering - make sure you will like that rough of a texture (if that is what's on the loaded).

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the forum.

I current have both....Mil Spec and Loaded. I had some mods/custom work done on my Mil Spec but I did not do much in the way of the real heavy stuff like a new grip safety, new sights...etc.

If the Loaded has what you want and intend to have on the Mil Spec someday, go with the Loaded now. If you have a different vision for what you want your gun to look like down the road.....go with the Mil Spec and enjoy the ride.

Oh....Mil Spec and Loaded's don't have the aggressive 20 LPI of the TRP and Professional.

Good luck to you. :rock:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Welcome aboard, buy the mil-spec for the 1911A1 look or if you just want a custom get the loaded:rock:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Get the loaded up front.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Get the loaded. My milspec was nothing to write home about. Although it did function well. It shot low, real low at 15-25 yards, and it wasn't very accurate. Unless you're really wanting that retro look, you'll want a beavertail and a longer trigger. At least I did. I ended up getting a Kimber Custom II, and like it very much, but I probably would've been served as well or better with a loaded. No Schwarz.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Having been in the same position as you, I went with the Loaded. I'm going to guess that the Loaded is where you'll want to be with the Mil Spec 6 months from now. If the retro thing is what floats your boat, get the Mil Spec later so that you can shoot your 1911 now and appreciate the "extras" as opposed to getting the Mil Spec and sorting through all the growing pains that many experience when mod'ing their "basic" platforms. What I'm saying is, if you get the Loaded now, you can take your time with the project Mil Spec without having the downtime of only one pistol. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Hey Primers, the loaded do not have front strap checkering, although I will be sending mine to get it done next month directly from SA. If you like the loaded and want a really fun gun, consider a loaded target model with adjustable sights, in 9mm, if you can find one. What a hoot and even more of a scream to shoot and easy on ammo as well. Besides a new Loaded will come with a loaded coupon to buy more stuff such as mags at 1/2 price directly from SA.

Roy

Here is my baby

·
Registered
500 Posts
***?

A 1911 chambered in anything other than .45ACP? Quit talking nonsense:biglaugh:

All kidding aside, that is a beautiful pic of your Loaded stainless Big_RoyDamn nice:cool:

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I'd go with the Loaded and go from there. Modifying the Mil Spec would be costly in the long run- Grip safety, thumb safety, trigger, hammer, MSH, sights, cutting the dovetails for the sights, refinish and possibly more? CHA-CHING$$

·
Registered
951 Posts
Thanks Hitman. You know I heed and hawed over the 9mm vs the .45, really hated to destroy the image of those big holes. After consideration, shooting steel plates for fun shoots, and the damn cost of ammo, the 9mm won out. Am I sorry, nope! Every time I take her out I never get to shoot it, it is in everyone elses hands, lol Almost have to take it out whan I am alone, but what fun would that be. I will tell ya that this gun really will shoot the same one hole groups with my S&W model 14.

Sorry Smokey I did not mean to steal your thunder in your thread.

Roy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts