1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any reliable figures as to the number of gun owners who reload? There’s enough of us to keep the major companies (Blue, Red and Green) in business plus all the component manufacturers and suppliers, so we collectively have to be a large number. I’m just curious as to how large a population we are. Anyone hazard a guess or have a source for more reliable numbers? One million, five million, ten million?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
About 10X the number that would admit to it in a survey. :D

Nitro will come along and say 1/20 of that, but they are smarter and buy up inventory more effectively than factory ammo shooters to ride the supply waves! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Count the number of people that complain about no ammo being available.
Multiply by 100, maybe 1000. Maybe more.

We don't complain about no ammo being available. we've got plenty.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I presume it's getting larger in California more than anywhere else.

To buy ammo now, one needs to do a background, and the only way to clear a background is to actually own a gun registered in CA and not pop for a criminal check.

Or, one can reload without any check (for now). Just waiting for the reloading shoe to drop on reloaders being prohibited from powder and primers without some additional hassle.

·
Premium Member
7,763 Posts
About 10X the number that would admit to it in a survey. :D

Nitro will come along and say 1/20 of that, but they are smarter and buy up inventory more effectively than factory ammo shooters to ride the supply waves! :biglaugh:
Shhhhhhtttt! Yer gonna ruin the game man!
That tidbit gets out and Feinstein will refocus her minions! It’s kind of under the radar right now I believe. The California comment is probably true though....that’s a danger because they ban anything and everything if it doesn’t look like fruit or nuts.
Now, if you don’t mind, I will excuse myself and go and count my warehouse full of components!

·
Super Moderator
14,745 Posts
How's this for some complete wild-ass guessing?

I seem to recall reading that there's about 300 million guns owned in the U.S. So maybe that would be about 100 million gun owners? If 5% reloaded some of the ammo they shoot, that would be about 5 million reloaders. I have no idea if that's even in the ballpark, but I love guessing games. :)

It's too bad that we don't have any equipment or component rep's that post on this Forum. I wonder if Dillon or Lee or Hornady might have a clue about the number of reloaders.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
It's too bad that we don't have any equipment or component rep's that post on this Forum. I wonder if Dillon or Lee or Hornady might have a clue about the number of reloaders.
Marketing is a sophisticated game, I bet they have a pretty good feel for the numbers and relative market share in each segment.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just my opinion, but I think the percentage of shooters who reload is small. I frequent a outdoor range and sometimes a indoor range in a rural/small town area and almost never see anyone but me pick up their brass.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hey, look! I can only crawl around snatching brass so fast!

I try to come home with more than I left with, but the carbine throws them out into the range ;-)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Hey, look! I can only crawl around snatching brass so fast!

I try to come home with more than I left with, but the carbine throws them out into the range ;-)
We'll have to start calling you shortarm! :biglaugh: Or you can bring a rake with you and pull brass back to the line without crossing it

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just my opinion, but I think the percentage of shooters who reload is small. I frequent a outdoor range and sometimes a indoor range in a rural/small town area and almost never see anyone but me pick up their brass.

I had a neighborhood get together where 40-50 of us went shooting in the nearby desert.

I was the only one collecting brass; I heard comments like “I like reloaders... you keep the ammo cheap for the rest of us.” I’m not sure I follow that logic...

Sadly, nobody else shot .45 auto, so I didn’t leave with as many cases as I arrived with...

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I had a neighborhood get together where 40-50 of us went shooting in the nearby desert.

I was the only one collecting brass; I heard comments like “I like reloaders... you keep the ammo cheap for the rest of us.” I’m not sure I follow that logic...

Sadly, nobody else shot .45 auto, so I didn’t leave with as many cases as I arrived with...
If you want free brass buy a 9X19 pistol or rifle, you’ll soon have thousands of cases of cases.:eek:

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I tend to agree. I’m just about only one that picks up their own brass at the range.

However, I do know a number of hunters that reload, but only for the ammo they go hunting with and not a large quantity.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't see to many picking up the brass at the range. They sweep it up and into a barrel it goes. If you don't pick up your own brass it now becomes property of the county. And they will not let you pick anything from those barrels. Everytime I go there I'm the only one picking up his brass and saving it. The RO's won't even let you solicit other shooters for their brass. But I understand the money they receive from the scrap brass is put right back into repairs for the range.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
The range I use gives me permission to harvest all the brass I can take.
So I don't "pick up" when I'm there to shoot.

But I do make a trip now and then with a bucket and case sorter.

·
Premium Member
7,763 Posts
How's this for some complete wild-ass guessing?

I seem to recall reading that there's about 300 million guns owned in the U.S. So maybe that would be about 100 million gun owners? If 5% reloaded some of the ammo they shoot, that would be about 5 million reloaders. I have no idea if that's even in the ballpark, but I love guessing games. :)

:biglaugh: Here’s a bit more food for thought.
A 2018 survey showed almost 400M firearms in the possession of private citizens in the US. Recent applications for new gun owners has skyrocketed and states like commiefornia and illinoise require a strip search to buy ammo. Add that to the wiped out shelves (again) and I would imagine more and more folks will look toward reloading. I actually think that all of this insanity going on today is helping the 2A cause. These protesters are bringing back the Wild West and people want to make sure they can protect their own. It’s a sad way to go about getting support, but fear has a tendency to bring sane people to their senses.

·
Super Moderator
14,745 Posts
I shoot about 3X a week at a Bass Pro indoor range. The range has 5 shooting stations but because of the virus, they only allow shooters in lanes 1,3 & 5. Based on what I've observed in the last 3 months, about 1/3 of the shooters collect their brass. They're all old-timer "gun guys" like me. The (apparently) new gun owners/shooters buy 2-4 boxes of ammo & 1 target and blast away @ 7 yards. And leave their brass lying where it falls. One of the range rules says to use the squeegee and push the brass forward of the firing line, but very few do that. I'm allowed to pick up all the brass I want behind the firing line. I always go home with more than I brought.

OK, back on topic. Based on my completely un-scientific observation, I'd say 1/3 of shooters are reloaders. So, using Nitro's 400M privately owned guns, my math yields about 60 million reloaders.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
How many guns are owned and how many gun owners there are is two different things. I would guess [ there's that word again ] that the average gun owner has at least 4 guns. Unless somebody that actually has some knowledge on the subject speaks up we won't have any idea.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
OK, back on topic. Based on my completely un-scientific observation, I'd say 1/3 of shooters are reloaders. So, using Nitro's 400M privately owned guns, my math yields about 60 million reloaders.
Not even close. I'd say that even 10% is too high.

I know a LOT of shooters, not just people who go to the range once a year, but people who shoot 2-3 times a week.

Of those very active shooters about 15% are reloaders. We're talking people in the top 10% of shooters here.

Of the remaining 90% of shooters the number that reload is maybe 2-3%.

Just look at the number of places you can buy ammo versus the number of places you can buy reloading gear.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts