1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably going out on a limb here (crack)

Why do the Kimber products have a label saying they are not for sale in New York and Maryland when Kimber is BASED in New York?

Wouldn't they want to have their product cleared in their own state and the capital then let the ball roll down hill to less strict locations?

Are they not able to do business in these states at all?

·
Registered
504 Posts
NY and MD packages have to have a fired case enclosed for the dealer to send to the state "ballistic fingerprint" database. No difference in the guns or accessories, just that packaged & labeled fired brass included.

And I'm sure they charge extra for the firing, retrieval and labeling of that case; if yours doesn't have it, it probably saved you $20 or more.

And of course those "databases" has never been, and WILL never be, used to solve a crime - more blissninnie backdoor registration.

·
Premium Member
8,549 Posts
Fired casing is not a big problem anymore in comparison to the integral lock law. That has resulted in none of some makes of guns coming into the state. Ruger is a big one who refuses to ship to us because they don't have a design they are content with nor will approve aftermarket integral locks. Not only that virtually all the distributors and dealers will not install aftermarket integral locks. Both instances are based on liability concerns.

I hear rumblings of other types of locks being approved. We'll wait to see that one.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
MY Gunsite I got 4 weeks ago had an SA ILS installed by my gun shop dealer. Matter of fact, every 1911 in the case had a SA ILS in it. Still had the steel mainspring housing in the box so I could switch it back. Put a magwell on instead. Tracy P.S. Don't like Kimbers, But their not shipping to Md either.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just to clarify, the New York state spent casing requirement apply only to new pistols and revolvers received by a licensed dealer in firearms from a manufacturer on or after March 1, 2001, and does not apply to any pistol or revolver possessed by any licensed dealer in firearms prior to that date nor to any pistol or revolver legally possessed prior to that date by any person in this state. (provisions of Sections 400.00 or 265.20 of the New York State Penal Law).

As far as the New York state gun lock requirements, all new or used guns (long and pistols/revolvers) sold after November 1, 2000 must be sold with a gun lock.

There are several types of gun locking devices that are acceptable, such as cable locks and trigger locks. They don't have to be integral to the gun design (like the ILS). I know Kimber will send a gun lock out to a customer if they ask for one, free of charge (read their ads fine print).

When I bought my Wilson Combat, I had to have the dealer send the pistol to Wilson Combat to meet spent casing requirements. They did it without any problems. Also, my gun came with a free trigger lock.

Kimber probably has guns that don't have the spent casings so they restrict those guns from sale in NY or MD. It might cost them more to do that to all of their guns. I know that if a company sends a gun without the casing to a dealer, they may face penalties for non-compliance.

I'm fairly certain that Kimber does sell in New York, unless what I'm seeing are NOS (but I doubt it).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I am inching out further on this branch. I had not thought about the casing when I made the original post. That makes alot of sense. My Springfield came with a case.

Now, if the purpose of this is to have this easily modifiable fingerprint of the gun....

Then

why the heck did they give ME the case? Shouldn't they have kept it rather than sending it to the dealer?

Or

Do they produce 2 and keep 1? A scare tactic maybe? See we shot your gun and here is a case to prove it. We have your print now :hrm:

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Techteam, Here in Md, the casing gets sent to the State police for filing purposes, If you don't need it in your state it probably just gets left in the box and you get to keep it. That's my logical thinking but who knows. Tracy

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Samurai, If you Texas boys want all the kimbers, you can have them!!! Tracy

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Samurai, OOPS! MY bad,:eek: Didn't realize where I was , Just responded to a thread, But you boys can still keep all the kimbers. Tracy P.S. Come on over to the Colt forum, then we can talk. LOL!

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
We finally got a real governor ( Republican ) The last one ( dem. ) put us in some bad shape and speech is about all he left us besides in debt. I wish we had a Gov. turned Pres!!! Tracy

·
Premium Member
8,549 Posts
Here's a kicker in MD on the fired case law. IF the handgun was built/shipped after Oct 1, 2001 (the date the law was effective) and sold new to an individual OUT OF STATE you could bring it into the state with proof of previous ownership without the fired case. It has to do with the way the law was written.

The kicker is they got wise to that with the integral lock law. The law is worded so that the date of manufacture regardless of previous ownership locale dictates the necessity of the integral lock.

Tracy, I hear that aobut the ILS on all the new 1911 where you are. Most the shops in this area won't touch it.

I expect to see the law change in our present governor's second term.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts