1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beginning to acquire some basic gunsmith tools, and was looking on Brownell's website to buy a nylon/brass hammer. So I started wondering whether I really needed a hammer of this type.
If I am using various punches, my small steel hammer is just as good. So what do you really need the brass and nylon heads for? And if I end up getting one, is a 1" diameter head the best?

·
Registered
641 Posts
<<<<So I started wondering whether I really needed a hammer of this type.
If I am using various punches, my small steel hammer is just as good>>>

My Brownells Nylon/ brass hammer is my most used tool in the shop, I use mine to bang on the stuck mainspring housing to get them on or off. Bang on the right side of an ambi safety to seat it, bang on a slide when it sticks when lapping a frame to slide, when too lazy to find my nylon drift to remove a sight I bang on sight with it. Overall its my favorite tool and one I could not be without. A 1 inch diameter should be fine.
PS I rarely use the brass side except when hitting punches or other tools but glad its there for the weight.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
i dont use the brass much either, but the nylon is the heat. its well worth the $. If i had one hammer it would be nylon.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Plus you need a rubber and a rawhide mallet! And a nice dead-blow hammer!
Those, along with a lightweight brass one, and just maybe a ball peen, should be all you'll require for almost ALL 1911 work.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys, for your insights- I really appreciate your replies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts