1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HELP! I'm looking for a quality nyon duty holster for a tactical custom II. Got one from Don Hume but it disengages the safety when I fasten the thumbsnap. Can anyone make a recomendation?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Need more info. For concealled carry? Nylon duty belt? What retention level do you prefer?

Can only say that I'm real happy with the Bianchi my department bought for our H&K USP compact 40's. It's only retention level 1, but it's molded perfectly for the gun.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry. Should be level 1 duty holster to match bianchi accumold duty belt. The only one bianchi lists for my kimber has 1 3/4 belt loop, no good.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
You may have been looking at Bianchi's accumold field holsters (for lack of a better word). They make a separate accumold series for LE with the larger belt loop and more durable holsters to boot. I have one for my duty belt for my USP 40C. Here's a link of one place that has them, i'm sure there are others...

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2041.php

later,
AJ

·
Registered
505 Posts
hipowr -

I will admit up front that I am not a big fan of the level one holster for duty use, but that is a different argument.

How well will your nylon Bianchi hold up if someone tries to grab your gun? Will the nylon rip?

I remember seeing video footage in training years ago of cops getting disarmed because the suspect grabbed the gun and ripped the holster in two. I have always wondered how the nylon jobs would perform in this situation.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think the thumb break would unsnap well before the nylon would break. The accumold holster is a pretty strong design for Nylon and not your typical cheapie job from the sporting goods store. Probably should mention that more often then not even though i'm using a duty belt that i'm in plain clothes and have it covered. I probably would consider more retention if I were in uniform, but as my job typically only requires only normal concealment, retention holsters are typically too bulky. I decided it was a trade off I would make for both comfort and a good draw. The agency's issue holster is a G&G leather pancake with that twist lock on the thumb break, and i've seen too many people fumble the draw with it. I've also found typically the first thing most officers do if they are going to "get into something" is to unlock it therefore defeating the feature. I don't think my accumold would rip in half any faster then the cheapie leather they gave us, and may hold on longer as i'm using a strong nylon duty belt vs most officers leather dress belts.

Since the question posed was specifically looking for a level I holster, I made the assumption that the officer in question had already made the call with regards to retention.

later,
AJ

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The current Bianchi catalog doesn't list very much choice for an on-duty 1911. I think the "cruiser" model is a high-rise, not a jacket slot model. To draw a 5 inch 1911 I'd need to be a contortionist. Too bad cause most of the rest of my stuff is Bianchi.:mad:

There IS plenty of cheap nyon that is garbage; I'll give you that. Just look through any cop catalog. You can pick out all the trash pretty quickly. Nylon gear - quality nylon gear that is, is suprisingly durable. I initially thought it was all junk, until I got on the bike patrol. Now I really like it. No squeeks or creaks and lighter and easy to clean... no brass to polish, no leather dye transfer to the uniform, etc. My leather still is worn nearly every day, and the nylon is used for occasional special assignments.

It's no replacement for leather, but it sure is user friendly.

ken

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Hey Ken, the Bianchi is called a high ride, but honestly, I don't find it that high. I've seen the holster for a full size USP (about the size of a 1911 give or take), and I don't think they raised the holster any over the compact. I believe they just extended the holster down lower, giving you the same draw height. Of course i'm also pretty tall, so I may no have to contort quite to the degree you would (i'm 6'1"). For $37 it might be worth trying it to see if it works for you or not. It appears you're correct though that none of their other ones are available for a 1911. Good luck with whatever you decide to get!

later,
AJ

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would look at Safailands 6280 SLS in the fine-tac finish. It is considered a level 2, but it is as fast to draw as a level 1. I have one for each duty belt (leather and nylon).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
If I could recommend one maker, I'd look at the Gould & Goodrich Pheonix Advantage line. It's identical to Bianchi's accumold, but a whole lot better looking and just as durable, if not moreso. A buddy at work just picked up some of their gear and it is definitely holding up well against the armor plating on our trucks.

I'm not sure if they offer it for the 1911, but I did talk to July at Gall's to see if a special order was available in their pleather. It was, but it was expensive ($125 for a holster and no returns allowed). Of course, making a nylon holster is a whole lot easier, I guess, and shouldn't cost too much. You'll definitely be happy with the quality construction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts