1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone would be so kind, I need the O.A.L. on a factory round of 45 ACP 230g Fed. Hydra-Shock please.

My little hillbilly town doesn't have any in the stores for me to measure.

I am assuming Fed. did a little research and used the best O.A.L. for proper feeding with the Hydra-Shock. Do you agree? Or should I seat to another length?

David

·
Registered
558 Posts
I measured a hydrashock and got 1.210, they have been totaly reliable in my gun. I load 200 grain lead Semiwadcutters at 1.250 oal, and .469 taper crimp and they are very reliable. I hope this helps.

------------------
Kevin

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Agreed...Make your guns (and yourself) happy! Find the OAL that works best for your pistols and others and load yours to suit...Have funan' always stay safe...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have about 15 loading manuals. None show data for Fed. Hydra-Shocks. I have unsuccessfully looked on the web for Hydra-Shock data. If anyone has any, or knows where I can get it, please post.

David

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Gunner, I do agree with your advice to get more than one manual. I bought four when I started reloading. No one manual had all the bullet/powder combinations that they all had collectively. So multiple manuals give you many more choices.

Of course, that can be a problem.
So many choices! Besides, no two manuals will agree on how much of this powder to load under that jacketed bullet, so you sorta have to compromise. Oh, well ... I guess I can stand it.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I've reloaded 230 gr. HydrasShocks for a few 1911s, and they feed very well and are very tolerant of OAL. I've tried 1.21" to 1.24" with good results.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keven, Thanks for the factory O.A.L.. You can buy Hydra-Shocks. I just bought 250 230 grainers!

I just wish there was some data somewhere on them. the gun I am shooting them out of is a W.W.I model. I would like to know more than just what my crony tells me.

David

·
Registered
83 Posts
You could try starting with 5.0 gr of WW-231 or 5.5 gr of Unique. WW-231 burns cleaner than Unique, but both give acceptable results. I actually use 6.0 gr 231, but you should start low and work your way up for safety. 6.5 gr Unique with a 230 gr bullet is supposed to be a factory duplication load.

------------------
"Always place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark"
Lazarus Long

·
Registered
416 Posts
Originally posted by gyp_c:
1.210 is awful short...

Indeed it is. 1.24 is the shortest I will go with hollow points in the Kimber CDP. Flatnose 200 FMJs must be seated out to 1.26 (Same as Fed AE 230 Ball) for the best feeding and function.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I just measured two Hydra-shoks from two different boxes with my calipers and got:

Caliper is made by Starrett so I know it's accurate!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided to seat a Hrydra-Shock with the same die I seat my cast 230g RN. The Hydra-Shock loaded round measures 1.210 with the die set the same as the 230g RN @ 1260. Quite a coincidence huh. I will assume 1.210 must be good for the Hydra-Shock.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Good for you...Let us know how it works out...

My JHPs measure anything from 1.20 to 1.25 and they all work...The range of loaded ammo OAL is amazing, isn't it? Even more so with stuff you can feed in other types of weapons...

Have fun!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Please remember that OAL is a function of the bullet shape and where it hits the feed ramp. 1.210" is certainly not too short. For many HP bullets, 1.190"-1.200" is the correct length. Reloading manuals, like Hornady and Speer, will confirm this.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
That's nice...I still prefer to find out what works in person with the real toys I play with...

It's always nice to have lots of information, weeding through it to find what reality works for you is still an intimate affair...None of the manuals I use has the SAME information in them...THAT'S why it's nice to have more of them...It expands the baseline far enough to get a better grasp of what's possible...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I measured some Hydra Shocks, 230gr Federal and they are 1.212"

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
1.210 to 1.215 sounds short to me too. The original batch of factory HydraShoks were not great feeders in some guns despite the truncated cone shape. Actually, odd as it may seem, I am starting to think that this particular shape is more sensitive to OAL than some others. Generally speaking I feel that longer is better until, of course, they get too tight in the mag or start wedging in the barrel leade. I go out to 1.240 on some hollow points, but then, you'd think that Federal would be using 1.214 after doing a good deal of testing. Have never reloaded HydraShoks myself. Maybe I shoulda said that first and saved y'all some reading!

·
Registered
458 Posts
So, where can a fella buy some the Hydrashock bullets as a component ? Sure haven't seen 'em around Denver / Colorado Springs... and I would like to try a batch out.

Maybe a mail-order supplier, or ??? --CC

1 - 19 of 19 Posts