1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. I just put a Colt MKIV oacp on layaway at my local gunshop (actually, my wife did...it's a gift). Anyway, I'm not as familiar with Colts as I hope to become, but I was wondering about the production run, what was the start year and end year? Also, the finish is matte blue curves, polished blue flats. It's gorgeous, but not a finish I've seen. Has it been refinished or is this something that was offered by Colt? I can't wait to bring her home, it's my second 1911, but my first Colt. Thanks for your help. I've had a hard time nailing down officer-specific info. But lurking here for a while, I know you guys know your stuff.

·
Administrator
73,480 Posts
The Colt Officers ACP was made from 1984 until sometime in the late 1990's, when it was replaced by the Colt Defender. They have been made in a variety of finishes, including the one yours has. Another model, the Colt 1991 Compact is the same exact gun but with plain markings and a matte blue finish.

·
Registered
65 Posts
1986-1997

I have heard the production run was 1986-97 (also heard 96). I bought one matte blue OACP recently, and then was back for a second in stainless a month later. I think they are the coolest auto pistol since the Luger. There are two weak points that I have learned about on this forum. One is the recoil spring plug which has a small tab on it that retains the spring assembly. This can shear off and your recoil spring and plug go flying. (I have never seen this). You can buy a drop in reverse plug from Clark that requires no modification to your gun, or you can go with a FLGR that will require you to remove some metal from the slide. Or you can leave it as is and see what happens. Secondly, and apparently less commonly, the bushings can crack. Again an aftermarket part is available to fix this should the need arise. I find my guns to be very manageable recoil wise and the accuracy at 25 yards is very good (I shoot on a controlled range with no 7 or 15 yard firing points). I have decided to keep the matte OACP stock, since it was NIB when I bought it and modify the stainless gun. I am going to have to wait until after Xmas, though, for the money to have this done.:cool:

Enjoy your new Colt!
Dave

·
Administrator
73,480 Posts
The Colt Officers ACP was featured in the November, 1984 issue of American Rifleman.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. Yeah, the one thing I have found, on here and elsewhere is the spring and plug issue. I'll probably take care of that in short order. It's an inexpensive enough swap, just in case. I'm also going to get rid of the wraparound grips. I know they serve their purpose, but I personally don't find them to be very 1911-like
...anyway, any more info is certainly welcome, I suppose a serial # would help, but I don't have it at the moment. Thanks again, you guys are quick!

·
Administrator
73,480 Posts
Sounds like you have one of the post-1992 "Enhanced" models. Does the serial number end in "E"?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,222 Posts
There was an XS Officers ACP, and I think those were made in '99, so the OACP lasted at least that long.
The "enhanced" pistols came out in '92, to be replaced by the "XS" circa 1999, then the "XSE" (no OACP offered) circa 2000.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Here's an early Parkized version of the Officer ACP. The later versions may have dovetailed sights, I had to get the slide cut for these Novak tritium night sights (dot over bar).

I replaced the muzzle bushing with an Ed Brown and the recoil spring plug with a Clark (out of Louisiana). Both went in with only a little effort and no machining or grinding of the slide or frame. I did not have problems with either stock part but they're the only weak points I'm aware of.

I prefer thin grips for carry. These are show offs. Pistol normally wears thin AlumaGrips as do my most of my othe M1911s. That's grip tape on the front. I rarely use it on carry pistols but have it on this one as a test.

Frankly I rarely have to think about this pistol. She's easy to maintain and always functions.

The pistol runs the standard Colt's two spring recoil system. No problems with it here. I have a Wolff single spring in my spares.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure on the Ser# so I don't think we'll nail down any kind of timeline. As soon as I get that info, and bring the gun home, i'll let you know. I thought I could remember the # but of course it was out of my head before I even made it to the car.
Nice one there, Chuck. I like the lowered thumb safety. I might have to look into one of those.
And yes to both points, Mullet Shooter. She in fact insisted that I get it...and you can imagine how much she had to twist my arm for that purchase!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Enhanced in Colt's "Ultimate" bright stainless (all factory original)

Chuck posted a non-enhanced. So here's an example of an enhanced, serial number SF01xxxE.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I like bright SS. Very nice. I think I would like one bright SS 1911. A colt of course.

My OACP is an enhanced and it is the best all around carry gun. good luck. I did the clark reverse plug and wolf single recoil spring and have great results.

·
Registered
740 Posts
This was recently acquired from a collector's estate to replace the one I foolishly and regretably sold. That one was a satin/bright combo as most are. I wasn't looking for all bright, but really wanted an Enhanced and this is what was available. It's a keeper... Thanks for commenting.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very nice, WarmRain. I'm still waiting for mine...growing more and more into an impatient child every day.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Juan Dutch said:
Very nice, WarmRain. I'm still waiting for mine...growing more and more into an impatient child every day.
Thanks. What have you got on order/looking for?

·
Registered
867 Posts
warmrain I have a blue enhanced model that I bought from a member of this site and she is absolutly the best ccw gun I have. I would like another in BSS or just SS. I am going to scout the shows next time they are in town. Good luck.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Officers as CCW

My first and primary CCW was a stainless Officers Enhanced that I foolishly sold. This one is to replace it as I have come full circle and beleive now, 10 years and as many pistols later, that it is ideal as a CCW.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been out for a while, but today is the day. My wife and I are going to pick up my colt...I always wanted to get a pony for my birthday! I'll get back to you with ser #'s and stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It' here! I put it down just long enough to type this. It's gorgeous. All safeties seem to be in working order. Not even an idiot scratch. Pics asap. It IS an enhanced model, judging from the suffix. Flat-topped slide. Ser# FAxxxxxE. I paid 510 with one extra mag, all booklets, and original box. Seems to me like a fair price...middle of the road, anyway. Is the recoil spring and plug a potential issue with the enhanced? Thanks all.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Juan Dutch said:
It' here! I put it down just long enough to type this. It's gorgeous. All safeties seem to be in working order. Not even an idiot scratch. Pics asap. It IS an enhanced model, judging from the suffix. Flat-topped slide. Ser# FAxxxxxE. I paid 510 with one extra mag, all booklets, and original box. Seems to me like a fair price...middle of the road, anyway. Is the recoil spring and plug a potential issue with the enhanced? Thanks all.
If you bought an Enhanced stainless Colt Officers for $510 that is in even good condition (yours sounds excellent) then you did VERY well.

The recoil spring PLUG is an issue with any Officers, Enhanced or not... There are many ways of dealing with it. The easiest and cheapest (and not necessarily the worst...) is to inspect it at each cleaning for cracks, better yet to have one for carry and one for range. Shoot the carry one for 25-50 rounds and inspect. Then keep aside for carry.

There are other options that range from replacements that do not require a modification to the pistol to those that require heavy modification.

Ihave been using the inspect and keep separate for carry method for 10 years w/o an incident, however I'm thinking of going to the replace without modifying the pistol step.

We need a photo!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts