1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a pic of some 45 ACPs that might be causing a problem in a Combat Commander.

It's 1.257 inch overall length. Question: Is the ridge that constitutes the base of the bullet supposed to be even with the mouth of the case?

thanx

·
Premium Member
3,904 Posts
I would try 1.22" or 1.23" OAL depending on bullet shape (profile of the SWC).

There should be a tiny bit of shoulder, but not as much as you are showing now.

lemme take a pic, hold on....

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I think that might be a little long. I seat those at 1.250 and they work fine in every gun I've tried them in. That will still leave a slight amount of the shoulder protruding from the case dependent on actual case length.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I can't tell for sure, but it appears that you're using a TMJ combat target bullet. Is that correct? Those are wierd critters. They feed well in some of my guns and not so well in others. If it is a cast bullet, then 1.25 is a good length that seems to function well in my guns. Is the problem that the pistol is not going into battery completely?

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
OAL for .45acp

The ideal OAL for a .45acp reload is best determined by using the barrel as a case gauge. Every barrel may have slight tolerance differences in the throat area, so it is best to use your own barrel to set the OAL. I do what is called the drop test. I remove the barrel, hold the barrel in one hand with the muzzle pointed to the floor, then drop a reload in the chamber. The reload shoot enter freely, and not bind going in. The base of the brass case should be even or flush with the hood extension. It the bullet seats lower than the end of the hood, try a bit longer OAL for that bullet. The ideal length will be one that allows the reload to sit flush with the hood extension. So why, would you ask, is this best? The answer is positive and uniform primer iginition. If the round is seated flush with the hood of the barrel, then the round is pretty much flush with the breech face of the slide. If the cartridge is not flush, it can move forward under impact of the firing pin, and may not allow uniform and consistent firing pin hits. This may lead to erratic ignition of the primer. The .45 cartridge headspaces on the case mouth. Unfortunately, not all cases will be the same length, and the taper crimp will also slightly change the way the bullet seats in the chamber. By adjusting the length of the bullet, so it just touches the lands and grooves, allows a secure base for the firing pin strike, and won't allow the cartridge to move in the chamber. This is often recommended in reloading manuals to improve accuracy. Adjust the OAL for your barrel, and don't go by what people use in their barrels....each barrel has its own specs. A worst case scenario would be a slightly shorter than normal brass case with a "high" primer (not fully seated) with a heavy firing pin spring. If the case were to move slightly forward, this lessens the impact of the already heavy firing spring....add the movement of the primer in the primer pocket, and you may get a "Failure to Fire" that shows a light primer hit.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Idealy, it would be nice if your re-loads Headspace on the ridge in the Chamber, but most ammo Headspaces on the Barrel Hood. You might want to "slug" your Chamber to determine the actual dimensions (within reason, Metalloy shrinks) of your Chamber.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Lee 200gr SWC: in my last 1911,a ESSEX I loaded them to 1.22/1.23 and they feed fine.Now I have a Norinco that has beentricked out.The new match barrel has a tight chamber and throat ant causes FTF & FTE with those old reloads.My new 1911 likes the Lee 200gr SWC at 1.25/1.26.I have the L
ee 228gr RN (1R) that I have to load at 1.195 so they will fit the chamber.A friend at the Cast Boolit Place strighteded me out about OGIVE and my problem.:)

·
Banned
13,563 Posts
HTF does a 45 ACP headspace on the barrel hood??????

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
He probably meant 1.195, but that sure would throw your load data in the toilet. I'm not sure where you would crimp a LSWC.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The 45ACP head-spaces on the case mouth which usually corresponds, in my experience, with being flush with the barrel hood.

Reread what richpetrone posted. It's excellent info. Personally all 3 of my 45's work just fine with 200 grain H&G clone, SWC bullets. I load to 1.250 length and crimp to .470. No problems with my ammo in my guns or anyone else who have tried those loads.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I'm new to reloading, so none of the following should be treated as gospel.

My first experiments leave me confused by the advice to seat the bullet far enough "out" that the base of the case should be flush with the hood extension.

Using 200 gr. SWC from Rainier, both 1.245 and 1.255 sit exactly the same in relation to the hood extension as factory ammo. Neither appeared to be too long for my specific barrel. However, I had a couple failure to feeds out of about 30 reloads at 1.255. None at 1.245. None with factory round nose.

It seems to me that the barrel test proves the maximum possible OAL for a given bullet, but not necessarily the optimal OAL. I think that the angle or curve of the side of the bullet as it first contacts the feed ramp also affects the optimal OAL for a given bullet shape.

FWIW the data I found in at least 4 different manuals/places indicated 1.235, 1.245 or 1.255 for a 200gr SWC in .45 Auto. My gun prefers the middle value of 1.245.

Please correct me if this does not make sense.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Quote: "I think that the angle or curve of the side of the bullet "

That is known as the ogive of the bullet and how that curve fits or hits your chamber/barrel interface (some call it "leade", some call it "throat") will affect your seating depth in rifles and pistols. Use the seating depth that works for you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
OAL 200 gr. LSWC

Hello, +1 for the suggestion of OAL at 1.220" - 1.225" for the H&G #68 200 gr. LSWC profile. Taper crimp at .469" and all else being within Mil-Spec standards or better start to rock and roll!!
This is and will continue to be my favorite all-around load and keeps my RL 1250 DILLON very happy. Photo by USMC 0802 is picture perfect.
GO MATT!
Semper Fi. :rock:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.