1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a post in the "long gun" forum, I mentioned that I owned a Savage '99 lever action rifle. The gun is chambered for .300 Savage ammo. In various gun publications, this caliber is classified as "obsolete". What exactly does that mean? That no manufacture builds guns chambered for it any more?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yes, the fact that no newly manufactured rifles are chambered for the .300 places it on the obsolete list. It was created shortly after WWI to provide ballistics close to the loads then common to the .30/06 that could be used in something other than a bolt action.
The cartridge, an excellent (possibly the ideal one) woods cartridge for deer and black bear, was never widely popular. A handful of rifles other than the Savage 99 were chambered for it. It was pretty well finished off by the introduction of the .308 Winchester. Factory ammo should be available for many years, and handloading is always an option.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Tetly,

Just an added comment here; don't write off that .300 Savage cartridge just because of it's "obsolete" status. It is still a very effective cartridge used within it's useful bounds and the right bullets.

... And I'd love one of those Savage 99's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts