1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guns Magazine: To those that have read it, do you agree with me Kimber was praised and damned? Seems the "Master pistolsmith" and the writer can't seem to make up their minds if it is a great product or not. Please spare me the "I don't read that rag" comments. I'm looking for opinions from those that have. The reason I'm placing this topic was because of a question on the MIM process by a poster on the Colt board.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, take apart that Kimber and look at all the very small MIM parts... Consider that it began as a blended mix of metal and binder before the sintering. What if the statistical random distribution of binder was a bit '3 Sigma' high in that narrowing tapered firing pin and created an internal void ?....

I have have this Eclipse polished to a very smooth action feel and wanted to keep it stock, but the more I consider those possible hidden defects, the more I consider a full action set replacement. I think larger parts are okay.

Just My Unskilled Opinion !!

Smiles

·
Registered
75 Posts
I usually don't respond to this question but it has been brought up one time too many. I know for a fact that most production guns utilize MIMed parts. It is a wonderful process. With all of the people talking about changing out there parts and the possibility of a massive life threatening failure, I have heard of ZERO actual incidences. Every revolver with frame mounted firing pins uses MIMed hammers. That includes S&W, Colt and Ruger. Every 92f, Sig, and H&K uses MIMed parts in their guns. If it wasn't for the MIM process, along with CNC machining, our precious toys would cost 2X what they do. Kimber uses more MIM parts than anyone else, they also build more 1911's than everybody else. If you are paranoid, replace the sear with a Wilson and sleep easy. I have about 10K rounds of hardball on my MIMed parts and no worries.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mastermind,

I also was not too concerned about the MIM parts in my Custom Classic. That is until this past week. While shooting a stage at an IDPA match the extension on the thumb safety broke off under my thumb durring recoil. Was engaging targets on the move and felt it go...
, after hearing all the banter about MIM I too now belong in the less than confident category. So now it's hard not to be wondering what goes next

And no I don't use the death grip from hell while firing, the part should be able to stand up to the thumb riding the safety.

So now I sit here deciding, let Kimber make it right, which will be another of the same(MIM). Or do I buy a non-MIM "aftermarket" and replace it myself
...........which would be cheaper than sending the gun to Kimber. I don't know if Kimber will send out parts or do you have to send the gun in ???

laters,

gr

·
Registered
8 Posts
:I don't know if Kimber will send out parts or do you have to send the gun in ???

When it comes to parts that deal with the safety mechanism of the gun, they will only ship the parts to a gundealer...
You can then go get it from them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts