1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have new stainless Mil-Spec that I have put about 250 rounds through. The first box was lower powered range rounds (Independence I think). When I stepped up to Winchester white box ammo, I started having an odd type of jam. On the last round out the the clip, the round wouldn't chamber correctly, and sometimes the slide would lock up with the last round loose in the ejection/feed ramp area. All the ammo was plain old 230 ball. There were no odd marks on the cartridge, like a failure to slide up the ramp would cause. I'm thinking the recoil of the second to the last round was popping the last round out of the magazine. Has any one encountered this? I'm thinking of a heavier recoil spring or new magazines, but I may be way off track. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Shannon Hooge said:
Hi all,
I have new stainless Mil-Spec that I have put about 250 rounds through. The first box was lower powered range rounds (Independence I think). When I stepped up to Winchester white box ammo, I started having an odd type of jam. On the last round out the the clip, the round wouldn't chamber correctly, and sometimes the slide would lock up with the last round loose in the ejection/feed ramp area. All the ammo was plain old 230 ball. There were no odd marks on the cartridge, like a failure to slide up the ramp would cause. I'm thinking the recoil of the second to the last round was popping the last round out of the magazine. Has any one encountered this? I'm thinking of a heavier recoil spring or new magazines, but I may be way off track. Thanks in advance...
Just a couple of questions... first, I assume you mean to say "the last round out of the MAGAZINE" is the one giving you problems. If you have a clip, we've got bigger problems. Next, you mention the slide would "lock up". Normally, locking up implies that that slide could not be moved. I had this happen with some out of spec ammo and I literally had to beat the pistol on a 2x4 to unlock it. Is that the problem you are having or is the slide locking back like it does after the last round has been fired?

Whether the slide is locking up or locking back, a stronger recoil spring is not the solution. That can actually lead to more problems. The Marines were using a 22# spring in the MEU(SOC) pistol and this was pushing the round out of the magazine so quickly that it got ahead of the extractor. They have since switched to a 18# spring, but the stock 16# should be fine.

If its locking back with a round still in the magazine, you should look for a new magazine before anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
I should be more precise in my wording. The last round in the clip that fils to feed. It either doesn't feed and the slide locks back (as if the last round had been fired and the gun is out of battery), leaving the round just sitting in the ejection area, not in the tube or in the clip. I'm thinking it's a magazine problem. Thanks for the help!

Shannon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts