1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that after I put about 100 rounds through my new Kimber Eclipse Pro II, that the slide lock recess of the slide looks kind of beat up? Please see attached, is this something that is normal? Never had this problem with my Colt Officers? I plan on carrying it once its broken in so I’m not worried about perfection, but I just hope it doesn’t get worse!

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
You'll notice that in normal operation, after the last round has been fired the slide lock will come into contact with the other edge of the slide stop notch. That side looks perfectly normal.

The edge that shows a bit of a ding in it is not the edge that the slide lock comes into contact with when the slide locks back in normal operation. I believe there are only two instances where contact could possibly cause such wear. One is if you release the slide by pushing down on the slide stop without first pulling back on the slide. The other is if you pull back the slide manually and then jam the slide stop into the notch. Now, admittedly, many people do this and there doesn't seem to be any wear -- after all, it isn't abuse.

There's a third possibility, which I hesitate to mention out of embarrassment of my actually having done this -- when reassembling the pistol, if you align the slide stop notch (instead of the take-down notch) with the slide stop pin and attempt to push the pin in, you can make this type of ding in the notch.

-Dave

·
Registered
146 Posts
my Gold Combat Stainless does not have any wear like that at all and i fired at least 20.000 rounds through it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Don't forget he's shooting a Pro version and that has a lot more spring pressure than a full size. The full size versions will get a little of that type of mark after several thousand rounds when going to slidelock. It doesn't seem to get any worse. I thikn mine has aroiund 12,000 through it at last count.

·
Banned
2,827 Posts
KimberNewb said:
I noticed that after I put about 100 rounds through my new Kimber Eclipse Pro II, that the slide lock recess of the slide looks kind of beat up? Please see attached, is this something that is normal? Never had this problem with my Colt Officers? I plan on carrying it once its broken in so I’m not worried about perfection, but I just hope it doesn’t get worse!
Brand new or not...to me it looks like the recoil spring isnt strong enough for the loads your using. I had that happen on a Springfield...and I installed a brand new Wolff 16 LB spring...GENTLY rubbed the "flanging" off with a tiny nail file and it never happened again. The slide is coming back and banging into the slide stop.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Ive seen a few stainless pistols with that type of galling.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Kimber Response

Received this email from Kimber today regarding the slide notch issue:

" The wear you see is, in fact, normal. Each pistol has its unique wear patterns. Kimber builds exceptionally tight pistols, and we recommend a 500 round break-in be observed. Note the crisp edge on the face of the notch, and no “rounding below it. This indicates that the slide stop is engaging properly and positively. - Kimber Mfg., Inc. "

Attachments

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think

KimberNewb said:
you should send it back to Kimber immediately. I have checked my Eclipse Pro II that has over 500 rounds through it and it is NOT dinged up like that at all! It is perfect as the day it left the factory!

I also checked my UCII and no problems there either.

I also checked my two Colt Officer's and no problems there either!

You obviously have a "Timing" problem and it MAY have to do with the springs, or something else. Make them give you a new slide at a minimum, or try to get a new gun out of them!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts