1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago, I woke the beast from its hibernation, to put about 40 rnds through it in preparation for deer season. As always, no adjustments were necessary. Shooting at 100yds, I average 1/2" groups from various shooting positions. I have no doubt that the rifle is capable of more, and I am the limiting factor.

Anyway, I finally got in the woods this weekend. After getting a late start, I decided just to do a little stalking. It was already pushing 70 degrees at 6:45 on Sunday, so I figured they wouldn't be moving much anyway. But I finally moseyed on over to the tripod an climbed up. About 10 min later, a doe made the mistake of walking into the clearing at about 175 yds. I waited until she was broad side, so as not to ruin any shoulder meat, and I place a beautiful shot through her lungs. One down.

Yesterday morning brought a much welcomed cold snap. It was about freezing as I sat in a different stand. After a couple hours, a little "suitcase" doe came along. She was only about 25 yds away. She was quartering towards me, and I knew that I would tear up a lot of meat, so I placed one in her neck. Two down.

In all the years I have hunted with this magnificent rifle, it has yet to let me down. It goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and the bullet goes where the crosshairs aim. Longest kill shot: 385 yds! Not to disparage anybody elses' setups here: just singing the praises of mine.

Feel free to post similar musings of your own!

Until next time....ridding the woods of extraneous female deer, to enhance the quality of what we all seek...the MONSTER buck!!

"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine..."

·
Registered
334 Posts
I too love my A-Bolt. Haven't been able to take it to the woods yet, it's new this summer, probably next year. Couldn't believe how accurate it is with everything I've fed it. One of the best presents my wife ever got me (other being my Kimber Elite Carry). It's a beautiful gun (the Medallion version) that performs as well, if not better than it looks.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, it's a .30-06. I shoot 150 gr Winchester supremes (powerpoint plus). I have been noodling the idea of switching to a ballistic tip or fail safe round fpr the last couple yrs, but am reminded every year that the cheap stuff I've been shooting is amazingly accurate, and the round inflicts plenty of carnage inside the animal. Plus, I'd rather not have to resight the gun.

Y Monkey, you will not be disappointed when you finally get it in the woods.

Edit to add: One day I'll get the white gold medallion. I drool every time I think about it. What a specimen!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I've got A-bolt's in 243 and 7-08, and they've both been flawless performers. The 243 will actually do between 1/3" and 1/2" groups at 150 yds w/ its favored handloads. The only thing about my a-bolts is that they have to be kept very clean--accuracy falls off quickly if you shoot it much in between cleanings. The 243 is also semi load sensitive--a tackdriver with my 85 gr sierra BTHP's, but just average w/ most factory loads I have tried. The 7-08 seems to shoot the factory stuff as well as the couple of handloads I have tried so far.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have an A-Bolt I use for shooting varmints...coyotes and ground squirrels...I have nothing but praise for this rifle...I can shoot one hole groups at 100 yards and hit ground squirrels with consistency out to 300 yards..my longest coyote shot was 276 yards...he was cruising along at a good clip and stopped to look in my direction...his mistake..

This spring I am experimenting with handloads...one can go broke buying quality varmint ammo...I think I will get a bigger bore A-bolt for pigs and deer...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of my favorite things about the A-bolt is the position of the safety. It's much easier and quieter to operate than most others.

cc987, what caliber is your varmint rifle? I'd love to have one and be able to use it, but around here I don't think I'd really be able to.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My A-Bolt is in .223...brass is easy to come by...I went out today and shot a few ground squirrels...my buddy has a 22-250...he can reach out a little farther but not by much....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts