1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than reply in Rick In Oregon's nearby thread about his newly customized BHP (which had some comments about magazines), I thought I'd start a new thread to show something I've noticed regarding the various mags I have encountered for that gun. I've heard opposite comments regarding this so please feel free to correct me if I've got this screwed up and hopefully we all will benefit. My sample size is only one 76C and three different magazine types. I will attempt to attach a photo (in my semi-Luddite way).

The subject of hollowpoints feeding in a High Power (which of course was designed long before this was an issue), seems to revolve around two issues: the "hump" in the feed-ramp and/or the top round angle coming out of the magazines. I believe the newer pistols out of FN addressed the ramp issue, so I'm just concerned with the magazines here.

In the pic are three magazines lined up. The left mag came in the gun. There are no markings on it and I believe FN made it in-house. Next to it is a common Mec-Gar magazine. These are blue in finish and cost quite a bit less than the current Browning/FN variety. Oddly, the shiny blue finish drags on the Magazine Disconnect and negatively affects the trigger pull more than either of the two phosphate-finished magazines. Anyway, the followers on both the 76C and the shiny Mec-Gar magazines are identical and the angle of the cartridge as it is presented to the feed-ramp is the same. On the right is the more-modern FN OEM magazine with the so-called "mousetrap" spring, which ejects the mag forcefully from the gun regardless of the drag of the Magazine Disconnect. Not dropping the mag was a requirement of potential customers back when the pistol was designed. Just to confuse things, this magazine is also made by Mec-Gar, but under an FN or Browning patent. I understand that Mec-Gar can't market their own copies of that type under their name, but COULD sell the older type. BTW, Mec-Gar is the OEM supplier for other brands of firearms as well, including Beretta.

Back to the "mousetrap" mag: notice that the follower is subtly different and that the cartridge is presented at a slightly higher angle. I lined up the three magazines carefully so that you can see it. It's not much but it appears to make a difference in what part of the hollowpoint hits what part of the feed-ramp first.

My 76C has only been fired with FMJ ammunition and I seldom get to shoot it. Does anyone have any data on the whether the newer mags help the older BHPs with feeding? If I was going to use this pistol for defensive or carry purposes, I believe I would restrict myself to the "mousetrap" type magazines, just for the angle and the better trigger pull (after testing with the carry round, of course). Incidentally, my example has a very crisp six-pound trigger pull with the phosphate-finished magazines. I consider that to be good for a real-world military service pistol.

Hope this was of interest!

20210716_005550.jpg

·
Premium Member
16,006 Posts
You can easily see the mag safety mark on the phosphate mag. You can also easily polish that spot to a mirror finish with metal polish on a felt pad on your rotary tool. This usually makes a noticeable improvement in the trigger.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
darkenfast, I've used all three types of magazines you show in a variety of Hi Powers. To be honest, I'd never noticed the difference in top round angle because all the INGLIS and FN/Browning magazines I've used just work in whichever Hi Power I happen to be shooting. I haven't pulled a mousetrap spring type magazine apart in a while, but believe those followers have the four corner legs, as opposed to the traditional type Hi Power followers. The type with the four corner legs does resist nose-down tipping noticeably better than the earlier type followers, but they all work for me...

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Rather than reply in Rick In Oregon's nearby thread about his newly customized BHP (which had some comments about magazines), I thought I'd start a new thread to show something I've noticed regarding the various mags I have encountered for that gun. I've heard opposite comments regarding this so please feel free to correct me if I've got this screwed up and hopefully we all will benefit. My sample size is only one 76C and three different magazine types. I will attempt to attach a photo (in my semi-Luddite way).

The subject of hollowpoints feeding in a High Power (which of course was designed long before this was an issue), seems to revolve around two issues: the "hump" in the feed-ramp and/or the top round angle coming out of the magazines. I believe the newer pistols out of FN addressed the ramp issue, so I'm just concerned with the magazines here.

In the pic are three magazines lined up. The left mag came in the gun. There are no markings on it and I believe FN made it in-house. Next to it is a common Mec-Gar magazine. These are blue in finish and cost quite a bit less than the current Browning/FN variety. Oddly, the shiny blue finish drags on the Magazine Disconnect and negatively affects the trigger pull more than either of the two phosphate-finished magazines. Anyway, the followers on both the 76C and the shiny Mec-Gar magazines are identical and the angle of the cartridge as it is presented to the feed-ramp is the same. On the right is the more-modern FN OEM magazine with the so-called "mousetrap" spring, which ejects the mag forcefully from the gun regardless of the drag of the Magazine Disconnect. Not dropping the mag was a requirement of potential customers back when the pistol was designed. Just to confuse things, this magazine is also made by Mec-Gar, but under an FN or Browning patent. I understand that Mec-Gar can't market their own copies of that type under their name, but COULD sell the older type. BTW, Mec-Gar is the OEM supplier for other brands of firearms as well, including Beretta.

Back to the "mousetrap" mag: notice that the follower is subtly different and that the cartridge is presented at a slightly higher angle. I lined up the three magazines carefully so that you can see it. It's not much but it appears to make a difference in what part of the hollowpoint hits what part of the feed-ramp first.

My 76C has only been fired with FMJ ammunition and I seldom get to shoot it. Does anyone have any data on the whether the newer mags help the older BHPs with feeding? If I was going to use this pistol for defensive or carry purposes, I believe I would restrict myself to the "mousetrap" type magazines, just for the angle and the better trigger pull (after testing with the carry round, of course). Incidentally, my example has a very crisp six-pound trigger pull with the phosphate-finished magazines. I consider that to be good for a real-world military service pistol.

Hope this was of interest!

View attachment 613977
Well I can help you out with the pic. It should now display large enough for people to see more detail. As you already know the older BHPs with humped barrels are hit or miss when it comes to feeding JHPs. My guns which have this barrel profile have all been vetted to shoot both 124 Gr Gold Dots and Federal HST if they were going to see defensive work. If I was setting up a BHP for use as a defensive gun I would have the hump removed while I had other work done on the gun. Not having to worry about this mag or that mag is the way I would go. I think the only time the presentation of the round from the mag is going to make a difference is if you gun still have the humped barrel but I am not convinced it matters all that much and I certainly would not rely on it unless it feed JHPs of choice regardless of magazine which many of them do. A defensive pistol as a job and you need to put the correct tools into the tools box and gun that only feeds hollowpoints from a particular mag design does not meet that criteria for me. YMMV

Are you the original owner of the 76C? The reason I ask is that the mags of that era were blued or parkerized. Later versions like the mousetrap mag you have are also parkerized but use a more modern phosphate versions of the process. This give them a slickness not found on the early forms of parkerization IIRC. I might be wrong on that one but they certainly were not sold as self lubricating like they are today. Most of the time you can tell an older parkerized BHP mag from the 70s or early 80's because of the greenish tint. I don't see that in the pic.

The Mousetrap mags were put into production around 1993 and started showing up in pistols in 1994. They were still being produced around 2010. They were produced by Mec-Gar for FN and you are correct that they are not authorized to make them under the Mec-Gar name plate. As a side note Beretta make their own mags and have for decades. Mec-Gar does make after market Beretta mags which I believe are better than OEM.

I don't like the mousetrap mags because they mar the finish on the base of the frame when used in heavy rotation plus I remove the magazine disconnect from my BHPs. I have a bag full of the and can out them back in if needed but I doubt they will ever make their way back. For me they cause more problems then they solve. If you increase the weight of the trigger return spring there is not downside to its removal IMHO.

·
Premium Member
11,770 Posts
...Back to the "mousetrap" mag: notice that the follower is subtly different and that the cartridge is presented at a slightly higher angle. I lined up the three magazines carefully so that you can see it. It's not much but it appears to make a difference in what part of the hollowpoint hits what part of the feed-ramp first...
What are the dimensions of the feed lips? That should have more to do with the presentation angle than the follower.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts