1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys!

After two years screening and waiting, I just got hired by DHS/ICE and I'm on my way to Georgia in March, for several months of training. If all goes well, I'll be stationed in San Diego for a while after that. Hope to come back to Alaska once I put my time in. Other than to leave my parka and mittens at home, any advice?

coltlover

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Coltlover

Are you familiar with gnats, mosquitos, deer flies, horse flies, northeast flies, red bugs and ticks? :bawling:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Leave the A/C on all the time, according to the rules in my room. If you don't, the rooms mold up. If you can leave really early and drive, do it; when I went to the Police Legal Advisor class, the time I took to drive allowed me to somewhat adjust to the 3 hour time change. The other 5 from Washington flew in and arrived about 10PM the night before the first class. They were hurting for a couple days.

good luck.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I have 4 words for you - Avon Skin So Soft. It repels the notorius sand gnats that swirl around you at FLETC. BYOB and best of luck!!

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have too much trouble with bugs. They seem to leave me alone much of the time. Looks like I will be working in Imperial Valley, CA.

·
Registered
498 Posts
While in GA you'll learn 2 more entertaining words. 'Fire Ants'. Ask the locals to point out a good spot for them and then go and stand there as long as you want to. Come back and report on the entertainment that you experience. :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
I don't have too much trouble with bugs. They seem to leave me alone much of the time. Looks like I will be working in Imperial Valley, CA.

These aren't your run of the mill average bugs here...

I once saw a kid taken away from his mother by a mosquito... they're like flying german shepards...

Edit* Another two words you want to attempt to avoid while in Georgia and all southern states that I am aware of is "Ground Hornet"

·
Registered
319 Posts
Have fun at FLETC. :)

I don't care how much bugs don't like you at home, take a BIG bottle of Avon Skin So Soft and a bunch of Off with Deet. Another thing, when you are out and about from the Academy, do not have any "run ins with the local LEO's. The Academy will send you home in a heartbeat if you get in trouble. Remember, you are on Probation. They are looking for a reason to fire you. If you survive the first year it will almost take an Act Of Congress to fire you after you are off probation.

OK, to summarize, Avon Skin So Soft and don't get in trouble. The last part can be easier said than done, BTDT.

Biker

1 - 14 of 14 Posts