1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally threw in the towel. I kept having various stoppages with my OACP, using various ammo, springs, mags, etc... it was a officers acp xs, and I swapped it for a nib 1991a1 stainless commander and $170, so I felt I did good. I just never felt comfy with the recoil system (did not go to a FLGR,as I don't like them)
Are problems like I had with my OACP common?
I'm sure it was worth more than the 91' commander, but the peace of mind is worth it to me.
the dealer also had a new 1911a1 colt for $869 (or maybe $879)
c'mon, help me feel better about my swap!
(the guy behind the counter tried to sell me into a kimber, but I would have none of it. they are fine guns, I'm sure, but I feel dammed un-american buying a 1911 that is not a colt.)
cheers,
Derek
Birmingham, AL

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have had an officer's model for going on 10 years. I love it. While I do not carry it every day, as I prefer to carry a full size 1911, I make no hesitation when reaching for it. If you are having problems with it give Colt a call or take it to your local smith. I am sure that you will love the piece.

Oh yeah, I HAD two Kimbers as they were supposedly "better" than Colt's. I had lots of problems with them. I sold them back to a dealer and bought more Colt's which I have no complaints about.

------------------
Simian

NRA Life Member

·
Administrator
73,405 Posts
My 1990-vintage Lwt. Officers ACP has been very reliable. The only thing that has stopped it cold so far was a squib load.

Fact is, a lot of things had to be done to the 1911 design to make it work with such stubby dimensions. You'll never get the same level of reliability with a chopped design as with the original, so you have to work within the modified design's limitations. In my case I use only Wilson magazines and use JHP ammo with a rounded bullet profile and close to maximum OAL. In other words, I help it out as much as possible. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if mine jammed using short OAL ammo and a cheap magazine.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
don't get me wrong-i was not knocking the design...it just had not been reliable for me (using wilson mags, ball, and both the 22 and 24 lb springs). It was accurate and a small package, but it had a previous owner, so who knows.
this new 91a1 commander's quality is so much better than my 96-97 lightweight commander, it is unbelievable-colt really has made strides. if it is anything like my friends (which I convinced him to get) i wil be able to dump 8 quick rounds into one hole at 10 meters.
DWE

·
Banned
1,323 Posts
did you say you let an XS series go and paid out money???? I would have kept working on it and bought the 1991 to shoot in the mean time. However, I have done worse with better, it is tough to rely on any gun that has been ureliable.

------------------
DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, I got money back. it was used previous to me, had a few dings and rust spots which I cleaned up.
it was in pretty good shape, but one could tell it had been used.
Lord knows what the problem was, previous owner probably had a copy of Kuhnhausen, a mallet and a dremel tool and went to town or something!
same place also had a xs CCO that I almost jumped on, but just wanted a plain jane 91a1 commander. I would have preferred blued, but stainless is all they had.
cheers,
Derek
PS-if anyone is interested, I'll be happy to let them know where it is now. email me privately.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I had a steel Officers for a long time. Intended to carry it as an off duty gun, but I figured out early on that with my particular body and dress, I could use one of my 5" guns just as well. I did shoot it a lot, though. I found it to be as accurate for me as any stock Colt (which is to say OK but generally not great), and it was just as fast. It was dependable as well, feeding any sensible load flawlessly. I only found one problem with it, but that was a big one!

In the stock configuration, that weakness was in the recoil spring plug, and barrel bushing. I went through about 4 spring plugs and 2 spring sets. In as little as 250 rounds or less, the little lug on the spring plug would peen off and the plug, followed by the spring set, would fly waaaay downrange. Never did find a plug, and about half the time would find one or both springs. The barrel bushing had a tendency to crack as well.

I always contacted Colt, and they never failed to send replacement parts quickly, but they ALWAYS denied that there was a problem; a couple of times implying that my gun was unique by saying that they had not been advised of a problem by other users. I knew that was crap, because everybody I knew who actually shot theirs had the same problem, plus Ed Brown and others were coming out with the captive plug systems. My son, who doesn't shoot it much, or carry, finally ended up with the gun. That is also why, although I HAVE Colts, I no longer BUY Colts. I don't like the idea of betting my hide on a weapon which has a known design flaw, which the factory will not aknowledge.

BTW, when my son got the gun, the deal included a whole sack of spring plugs, springs, and a spare bushing the the factory had sent me to keep this trouble-free gun working.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds typical of colt back then, however I have had excellent service from them now-I guess under new management makes a big difference. Plus, I think the further you get away from the original design, you compromise reliability. my acp was very accurate, but I did not want to alter it and put in a FLGR (which made take down a pain)..and since mine was an all-steel acp, the weight was not that much different than the commander. Like I said above, I think mine had been tinkered with a bit. the barrel bushing was tight, but I never had a failure. I think the previous owner had tried to gnaw it off, it had so many marks on it. i miss it, but did not feel comfortable with it, so I traded it for something I would shoot.
If I did not already have a lw commander, I would have picked up the CCO they had.
cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I put the King's Bushing/Recoil Spring Guide kit in my SS Ofcs and have never had a problem - it seems just as accurate as my 5" guns, and can be fired very rapidly - something about the way it recoils.

But Colt has answered all these concerns with the Defender - the best short .45 made. Bill Laughridge of Cylinder and Slide shop designed it for Colt, and it's a winner!

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits & Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Another plug for the Colt Defender, best compact I have ever had, ever tried to use. Colt did the Defender right. Period

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts