1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night two fine police officers were ambushed by a gunman waiting behind his front door. They didn't have a chance to ring the bell or knock.

I know we are safety conscious most of the time but you can't be safe enough.

These two were issuing a summons over a traffic citation!

About six months ago the shooters neighbor was murdered. He was not a suspect in that case.
Friday night the shooters wife was witnessed driving away from the municipal offices by the clerk. She notified the P.D. and two officers were sent to issue another citation for driving under suspension.

It's believed that for six months the shooter was waiting for the Police to arrest him for the murder of his neighbor. When he saw the two officers walking up the front steps he ambushed them from behind the door.

One officer was struck just above the breast plate of his vest and fell on the porch. The other officer was shot in the face blinding him. As the blinded officer stumbled down the drive screaming into his mic for assistance the shooter returned to the downed officer and executed him point blank.

The shooter then went to his back yard and waited for the inevitable. After trading shots with backup units he shot and killed himself.

The gun used in the killing has been linked to the neighbors murder.

These two guys didn't have half a chance!

Sorry for the ramble but I had to vent.

Be SAFE!!!

(Edited for grammar and spelling)
(twice)[This message has been edited by Gonzo308 (edited 08-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Gonzo308 (edited 08-26-2001).]

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
My condolences to the families and fellow officers of the fallen officers. I'm sure they will be missed.

It will be of little comfort to their loved ones, but if these officers died doing a job they loved, providing a service to the people they loved, then there are worse ways to die. Mourn their passing for now, and honor their service forever.

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Well said Roger.

I cant express my sympathy enough to the families and the department. This will be a trying time for both.

Ken Neal

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
And people wonder why cops would ever use tactics such as swarms, no-knock warrants, and be armed and organized in a military fashion. I am not saying that these are necessarily good things or that they can't be abused by people in power, but as this example shows, serving warrants is hardly a pleasant job.

Had the SWAT showed up to serve the warrant, people would have called for an investigation into the abuses of power because it was only a traffic warrant. Few people wanted by the police are happy to see the police come to their door.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
This is so sad, condolences to his family and to his brother Officers as well. God speed to them.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
My thoughts and prayers for the downed officers and their survivors.

I hate hearing news like this but it makes me appreciate the officers out there that do a job others can't even comprehend doing.

Ross T.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Our Prayers go out to the families, friends, and fellow officer's of these fine people, and other's who have fallen in the service of the community.

LA had one also, Officer killed in the line of Duty on a Federal Warrant service a couple days ago.

My first thought's were that we had lost one of the family from here on the forum... Thankfully, all our resident LEO's are safe...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts