1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont have many details or a newspaper link to put up, but heres what I know.

An Arlington Texas police officer was shot and killed while participating in a training event at a elementary school. The school was closed for the summer and officers were training on responding to armed subjects in schools. The dead officer was shot with either a 9mm or a 40S&W. I dont have the officers name, all I know is that he was a Cpl with the dept and been with the PD for several years.

The message here is safety, please be carefull in your handgun training.

I posted here for more exposure, this is not something is unique to the police, it applies to all of us that use firearms in training.

[This message has been edited by Ken Neal (edited 06-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Let us know if you get any more info Ken.

I'm interested in finding out the details.

It sucks hearing of someone whose job is to protect the innocents gets killed, especially getting killed while training to protect us.

Hope we can all learn from this tragic mistake.

Ross T.

My prayers and thought go out to his family. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Thanks for the warning, Ken. I'm sure it's a terrible loss to the community and all the people whose lives he touched.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
This quote was pulled from the above link...

"Why live rounds were available and whether a practice gun or duty weapon was used are still unknown, Sgt. James Hawthorne said Friday."

Someone better damn well find out why!!!! This was a completely preventable tragedy. Any non-fire training exercises that my guys take part in, involve a complete head to toe frisk by myself BEFORE THEY EVEN ENTER THE RANGE/TRAINING AREA to search for live ammo. I then have the men "buddy up" and have them search each other again BEFORE THEY EVEN ENTER THE RANGE/TRAINING AREA. I have been know to hide a DUMMY round on one or two of the men during my frisk, and the buddy of that man better find that round or he's goin' home for the rest of the day without pay. I've done it once. The agent didn't think I'd hide one in his partners "Fruit of the Looms". WRONG.

No live ammo anywhere near non-fire drills - NEVER, EVER.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 06-12-2001).]

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've participated in a training scenario like this myself. We had a complete weapons and magazine check for everyone before the training. I thought something so simple had to be standard for all training exercises.

I don't know much about simunitions (if they were used at all there) but there should be separate guns chambered only for sim rounds, (like 8.8mm guns). Most movies have separate guns that can't fire for just such reasons.

After the travesty that happened during the filming of "The Crow" you'd think that people would take such simple precautions.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-

·
Registered
141 Posts
This kind of situation is why I always unload in the bedroom, carry the unloaded gun into the living room, and chamber/mag check at least twice before commencing with dry-firing.

Same as at the range - even if I put my gun down, locked open, and leave the range for a moment for restroom or drink calls, I automatically peer into the gun and examine the mags before commencing my shooting. Compulsive? No. Just very, very careful.

You cannot be too careful with firearms. Familiarity leads to contempt, complacency, and cockiness, and this case is a sad illustration of that. It doesn't matter if you are a Sensei or Zen King or GrandMaster HooHa of Firearms, they will still kill or injure you or someone else if you do not take the proper precautions.

I think that's why there are only four basic rules - they are easy for everyone to remember and easy to perform.

What a bummer. I feel bad for his family and for his partner(s).

[This message has been edited by KimberLady (edited 06-12-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts