1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to correctly install a guide rod/reinforced reverse plug into my colt officers acp. It is the ISMI variety with the flat spring. What is the reasoning behind taking the metal off the slide-why could the plug not be made a tad smaller? Or woudl this give up strength? When finished, should the plug stick out like the normal plug, or is it ok if it is recessed a bit, but almost even with the bushing?
any tips, tricks or advice is appreciated. I'm doing it slowly with wet/dry paper and elbow grease (won't try the dremel this time!)
cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I liked the idea of a long lasting spring, and I usually do not favor FLGR's, but this seemed to be OK. WHere I'm running into the trouble is the alteration to the place where the plug goes and what the finished product is supposed to look like. I don't want to over do it.
thanks,
Derek

·
Registered
113 Posts
dwenslen, you will have to remove as much metal from the slide as the flange on the reverse plug is thick. Probably about .070, you're gonna be sanding awhile, better get out the file or better yet take a trip to the local machine shop. The original recoil spring plug is very flimsy, it's not a question of whether but when it will break. The ISMI system is the best of the full length guide rods for the Officers, the spring will last much longer than the others. I like to just put the Clark plug in and use the stock style springs myself. Good luck.

JJ

·
Premium Member
7,147 Posts
JJ,

Removing .070" of spring tunnel would be a real chore by hand.....but I've seen it done quite nicley.
Stock spring plug has gotta go.
The Clark, requires no shortening of the spring tunnel, but reduces slide travel a bit, IMHO unacceptable.
Beware of the Wilson kits,
the supplied recoil spring is 1/2 coil too long for the plug!

chuck

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by pistolwrench:
JJ,

Removing .070" of spring tunnel would be a real chore by hand.....but I've seen it done quite nicley.
Stock spring plug has gotta go.
The Clark, requires no shortening of the spring tunnel, but reduces slide travel a bit, IMHO unacceptable.
Beware of the Wilson kits,
the supplied recoil spring is 1/2 coil too long for the plug!

chuck
I don't know but I must be missing something.I've installed four or five Wilson kits on Officers models and never had any problems filing off the 70 thousands by hand.And if the spring is too long I should have had some reliability problems but haven't.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cutting that .070 off with a file is not impossible just a little time consuming. If you have access to a milling machine it wouldn't make sense, if you don't you do with what ya got. The Wilson officer kit spring is not too long once you get it in there, it is a bear to get in the first time though. The thing I don't like about the Wilson is that the spring only lasts about 200 to 300 rounds.

JJ

·
Premium Member
7,147 Posts
deputy tom

I just pulled a recently acquired Wilson kit from my parts drawer, and did some measuring.

The spring plug measures .688" deep.
The supplied spring has 15.5 coils of .045"
diameter wire, equaling .6975" when stacked
solid.

The net result would be that everytime the pistol cycles, the spring would go to 'solid' stack, and transmit the force to the bottom of the spring plug.

Forcing the spring to solid stack, surely must compromise its life, as well as the integrity of the plug.

Chuck

·
Registered
695 Posts
Originally posted by pistolwrench:
deputy tom

I just pulled a recently acquired Wilson kit from my parts drawer, and did some measuring.

The spring plug measures .688" deep.
The supplied spring has 15.5 coils of .045"
diameter wire, equaling .6975" when stacked
solid.

The net result would be that everytime the pistol cycles, the spring would go to 'solid' stack, and transmit the force to the bottom of the spring plug.

Forcing the spring to solid stack, surely must compromise its life, as well as the integrity of the plug.

Chuck
So what do You suggest,cutting half a coil off?tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
let me set the scene first :
working part time at a gun shop that was going out of business....boss comes in and says " a guy will be here in 1 hour to take the lathe , mill and drill press.
Here I am planning on putting the Ed Brown FLGR in my 1991a1 compact....anyone see where this is going ?...rush rush rush and instead of milling of only what was needed on the slide...which i didnt do..i milled the end of the slide where the plug fits too much which resulted in the plug being able to rotate and after 200 rounds destroyed the "ears" ?? that fit up against the slide.
Ending up having one of our local 1911 Smiths ( BURT TAYLOR ) save the day by milling me a plug to fit what I had done...cheap...NO but fits like a dream and functions all the time. I also had him fit a Kings heavy bushing as well.
Love this little gun...wish i could post a pict but can't seem to be able to....maybe I could talk Son into posting a pict for me ???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts