1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I've got a Colt in 45 ACP, with a officers slide and a lightweight, full size grip frame(Tactical Officers Lightweight)which is a blast to shoot. I've read several places about a problem with the little tab on the recoil spring plug shearing off.Has any have first hand knowledge of this happening? How common is this? After about how many rounds?
Has anyone used any of the aftermarket recoil systems with the full length guide rod, like the ones made by Ed Brown, Kings, Cylinder and Slide, etc.?
Hows the reliability with them?
Or should I just keep a fresh 24# spring in it and buy a extra plug for it in case it does blow out sometime?
Thanks for the help.

· Registered
1,087 Posts
I had over 2000 rounds thru my 1991 A1 , never broke a plug. However I did change over to the Ed Brown full length guide rod.I must admit I screwed it up milling the slide.Milled away too much and had to have my gunsmith make me a custom plug . I installed the Kings Big Bushing to go along with it . Maybe I did it for piece of mind since I carry it 24/7 but I sure thinks it functions smoother and looks better anyway.
Hope this helps . Can't post a pict of it ( Have not figured that one out yet ) but if you contact me VIA email I can send you a photo of it .

· Registered
619 Posts
Ion -

I have about 5,000 rounds through my Officers Model without a mark on the Recoil Plug. I changed out the recoil system about 4,000 rounds ago with the "Fire Dragon" recoil system. It is just like the system by Sprinco with one exception. The Fire Dragon is completely "drop in". Absolutely no modification was done to the new recoil plug. I will E-Mail some pix of my gun.

MadDog

· Registered
52 Posts
MadDog said:
Ion -

I have about 5,000 rounds through my Officers Model without a mark on the Recoil Plug. I changed out the recoil system about 4,000 rounds ago with the "Fire Dragon" recoil system. It is just like the system by Sprinco with one exception. The Fire Dragon is completely "drop in". Absolutely no modification was done to the new recoil plug. I will E-Mail some pix of my gun.

MadDog
Maddog, do you know if Fire dragon has a web site, I too would be interested in a photo or two.

Jim

· Registered
871 Posts
I have a 1991A1 Compact and went for the Kings bushing and spring setup, and it has made a world of difference in the accuracy department, not that it was bad in the first place. Took some filing on the slide but was well worth it. I've heard all the stories from people who have a friend of a friend who had a recoil spring plug failure, but I've never seen it myself nor do I know anyone who has, including some gunsmiths who work at some indoor ranges. The Kings setup works well with or without buffers, but if I had to do it over again, I might have tried the kings bushing by itself!

· Registered
23,952 Posts
I like the ISMI set with flat wire (Glock-type) spring on a small diameter guide rod. You do have to cut the spring tunnel to clear. My FLG was making these with Glock springs before ISMI came out with them and they put more recoil spring in the OACP than any other system. Longer lasting - ISMI guarantees them for "life".l I don't know about that but they sure do better than the 300-400 rounds recommended for some brands.

· Registered
192 Posts
It must be particular to individual officer's ACP pistols.

The tab on mine began shows signs of stress cracking after only maybe 500 rounds. I fitted a C&S barrel bushing and Ed Brown guide rod and plug. Fairly easy to do if you have a lot of patience and the feel for when and where to stop filing. The bushing was pratically a tight drop in fit, not much polishing required.

if I had it to do again I would try one of the heavy duty replacement plugs. I don't recall the manufacturer. Check with Brownells.

I am told these drop in with no mods to slide.

· Premium Member
2,057 Posts
I have had guys walk in with the plug in there hand, (the ones that could find theres)

Some look like the spring was replaced and no one checked to make sure it had room to compress. If the slide comes back and stops on the spring not the shoulder on the slide any reverse plug will fail. (or the bushing on commander size guns)

I too like the IMSI system. It does not build confidence that when you point your officers modle uphill it falls out of battery :)
geo ><>

Mad Dog
the fire Dragon version?? is that the one where it has the full shoulder and the key in place? I think it is a great idea to do that, just not sure if I want to lose some of the already short cycle of the officers slide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.