1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Officers Model Mark IV Series 80 that I have modified by replacing the recoil spring cap (and its Achilles heel little nib that could break off rendering the gun inoperable) with a kit from Brownell's with a full semi-circle of steel for support.

That having been done, what is the consensus on the gun? Was the cap the only problem with this gun or so modified, now a trustworthy shooter?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Mine has always been a relieable shooter. I have never worried about the recoil spring cap. My only problem was the Weight . So I went with a defender and now a Agent. (just because I wanted one)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've got a lightweight Officers that I really enjoy. It had the modified recoil system installed in it when I bought it.

There seems to be a number of subcompact 1911's in my area. Colt and Springfield, the only comment I can say negatively is I've yet to see one of them come close to running with hollowpoints. I just stoke mine with 230 ball and it does quite well.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have just bought a used Officers, I installed the clark drop in plug, and left the dual springs in there, I ran over 100 rounds through it this past weekend, and no issues at all, I also ran some HPs through, they were +Ps, and all went well, I dont think that I'll have any issues with the thing.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
Officers Model is a revolver... :)

Shearing the little lug off the recoil spring plug of the Officer ACP pistol is unlikely but not unheard of. Several sources for a better plug. The Clarke plug was a drop-in in my pistol.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a blue Officers Model that I have shot a great deal. No problems with the recoil spring cap, or anything else for that matter. I now more often carry a Defender because of the lighter weight.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ok I lucked out. I just picked up this Officers lightweight from a friend who decided to sell at a good price. I have been having some of the same thoughts on changing out the recoil system and bushing. The stock plug really does look like a weak link.

Some other areas that I will have changed a little.

Slide to frame is no match gun but not as loose as some I have seen.

I hope to start shooting it this next week and get a better idea with want I want over the next couple of months.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Gj047. It’s hard to tell but it looks like your spring plug is sticking out past your barrel bushing. This is the first sign that your plug is starting to fail. Take apart your gun and look at the tab on the plug and see if it is starting to peen back.

This is a pic of mine just before I replaced it. As you can see it is cracked almost completely around the tab. There has been to many people on this bored who have had problems with plugs. Just replace them.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I bought mine used so I don't know how many rounds have been through it before me but the 1st time I shot mine the plug and R/S went down range. The Clark's dropped right in and seems to be as solid as Ft Knox.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it before I shoot it next week and I will certainly replace it once I decide on any other work.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I had Pistolwrench build mine up for me. The Guide rod, plug and bushing are all Wilson. I use a 24lb. Wilson spring in it and change it out whenever I have a good range session with it. Slide velocity is very fast. Also had the front strap machined for a large hand and a high grip. S&A magwell helped, too. I carry Cor-Bon Powerball and it runs great. Mostly, it's a BUG when I feel the need or when it's really hot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts