1911Forum banner

581 - 600 of 633 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here are a my early 1911s The 1914 #65644 from the previous thread, a early 1918 #250344. And a interesting Springfield receiver 1915 #103450 modified to M1911A1 with a Colt 1911A1 (Replacement slide).
Does anyone have any information on these slides I'm under the impression
that this is a pre war manufacture. But I'm interested in any information.
Just missed a Springfield Slide that just sold on Ebay this evening.

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
WWII Remington Rand 1911 A1 Pistol

I recently acquired a 1943 Remington Rand 1911 pistol. It is fully original and was used in WWII by a US G.I., likely carried in the Pacific and/or Europe. This is one of those cases where I wish inanimate objects could talk and share their stories because I'd really like to know the story behind it.

When I purchased it, it smelled like an old library book (it still does, to a certain degree, but not as much since I cleaned it with Hoppe's 9). The person who sold it to me said that it was in a widow's attic, who was married to a WWII vet that brought it back from the war. The pistol was covered in dust before it was sold to me. There is some minor rusting on the outside and internally where the magazine goes. I strongly hope it doesn't get worse over time.

The pistol did come with the original magazine, however it was very rusted. I tried loading the .45 ACP ammo in it and couldn't get the seventh round to fit in it. I ultimately decided I wasn't going to use it and decided to store it away as a part of the collection. I went down to a local gun store and purchased a brand new Colt 1911 magazine and it has worked flawlessly! I first went to Sportsman's Warehouse (a large sporting goods chain) and they tried to sell me Kimber branded magazines. Being somewhat of a purist, I wanted to purchase something as close to the "real thing" as possible. Since Colt was also contracted to produce 1911's during WWII, I decided I wanted one of their magazines to go with it. Luckily, Colt still produces 1911 pistols and accessories to this day.

Based on my research, Colt was the first company contracted to produce the 1911 pistols in the early 1910's for the US government, but they actually fell behind in production numbers during WWII. Remington Rand produced considerably more during that time. Remington also produces a 1911 to this day, but with so many things being outsourced to underdeveloped countries, I don't know how much of it is truly American made. But it just feels nice to shoot an all American piece that likely has a storied history behind it.

It's a fantastic pistol! I put 50 rounds of American Eagle .45 ACP 230 grain ammo through it so far. I'm amazed at how accurate and easy to shoot it is! In comparison, my Glock 23 (chambered in .40 S&W) requires a little more practice if you've never fired it before. But it is just a collector gun with all the original parts from 1943 and I plan to shoot it very seldomly, keep it clean, lubricated and stored in a gun sock when it's not being used. As a part of my small WWII collection, I have it stored next to an unopened circa 1944 or 1945 K Ration in my gun safe. I'm 23 years old and I hope it outlives me!

Attachments

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
Remington UMC, Remington Arms, and Remington Rand are more like distant cousins who can be found on the same genealogy tree. Of all current companies the one that bears the closest relation to Remington Rand is Remington the electric shaver company. As a matter of fact the General Shaver division of Remington Rand (who made 1911 magazines during WW2) eventually morphed into the company that Victor Kiam famously bragged about buying in his TV ads.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went to a gun store yesterday and someone was selling packs of circa 1944 remanufactured .45 ammo. I just had to get it. Once I brought it home, I decided to pull out my collection and tried my hand at taking a photogenic picture of everything. I'm currently looking for a M1916 holster to go along with it and once I do, I will probably want to take another one. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
1915 that was brought back but appears to have first been engraved by E K Arzt in Germany. The gun is only of value as a shooter, as it has other mods as well. But still an interesting piece.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Just recd some American Ivory grips from Boone Trading. Since the gun I bought them for is still being built I decided to put them on my GI for now.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I pulled the Boone grips off anticipating the arrival of my latest build. I picked up a set of Altamont Colt grips that I think look nice as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
1911A1 CMP Remington Rand

Got it on December 7th, pretty cool date to receive it since from what I found on the serial number it was manufactured and then shipped to Hawaii in mid 1945.

Attachments

581 - 600 of 633 Posts